News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

BuddyThomas

This is a discussion of plan to dismantle RCID only - not the events leading up to it. I know it's difficult to separate the two, but please try if you want to participate. Thank you.
And others might note that this is a subject that has many tentacles and how one thing can be discussed without the rest of them is like trying to make an octopus with one tentacle swim across the ocean. Nevertheless, if that's the type of discussion you want people to partake in, I'll just go ahead and bow out now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think you would need to prove this was to silence fee speech and for no other legitimate public purpose, but not I'm not a lawyer

"On March 30th, Florida State Rep. Spencer Roach threatened Disney: “Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government. If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County.”

peter11435

"On March 30th, Florida State Rep. Spencer Roach threatened Disney: “Yesterday was the 2nd meeting in a week w/fellow legislators to discuss a repeal of the 1967 Reedy Creek Improvement Act, which allows Disney to act as its own government. If Disney wants to embrace woke ideology, it seems fitting that they should be regulated by Orange County.”
And this is only one of many examples

Goofnut1980

This should cost each Floridian an extra 5% in taxes each year. Plus just think, Disney wouldn't need its own trash services and such. It will all be handled by the county. This is hilarious and it gives Disney a few billion in a bailout, because that debt could be transferred to the county. If Disney was smart, they would improve EVEYTHING in infrastructure before that date. Repave all roads, update lighting anything that would have to be absorbed by the counties. ha

Lilofan

This should cost each Floridian an extra 5% in taxes each year. Plus just think, Disney wouldn't need its own trash services and such. It will all be handled by the county. This is hilarious and it gives Disney a few billion in a bailout, because that debt could be transferred to the county. If Disney was smart, they would improve EVEYTHING in infrastructure before that date. Repave all roads, update lighting anything that would have to be absorbed by the counties. ha
In regards to WDW roads I’ve seen other towns in worse shape. The roads are acceptable to me. Spend the money on other improvements or maybe pay the cast members more?

lazyboy97o

This is 100000% retaliatory, and I’m also 1000% sure they already know this won’t hold up in court, but probably already have the next news splash being prepared to make people forget any of this even happened.
The problem is the acceptance and gleefulness around using the power of the state to punish opponents. Acceptance of such actions is how you lose civil society.

MurphyJoe

What's the most the respective counties can raise taxes in a given year should this come to pass

From what I recall earlier in the discussion, it's a 10% cap by FL state constitution.

I'm wondering what discussions Disney is currently having around that. If RCID can be dissolved under the new law, maybe drastic improvements across the board, financed through bonds, is in order. Then dissolve RCID by vote and provide Osceola and Orange counties the legal representation to kick several billion in debt to Tallahassee.

EricsBiscuit

No, he repeated talked points and dismissed the statements of the official who would be most familiar with Orange County taxes. Give us a specific examples.

Why are you not criticizing that The Villages will still have its special privileges?
The Villages is a retirement home! It’s the last place on Earth where dinosaurs still exist! Jurassic Park was inspired by the time when Michael Crichton drove by The Villages on I-75!

Chip Chipperson

As Cypress Gardens, Legoland Florida technically pre-dates Walt Disney World by a few decades.

But it wasn't exactly driving tourism the way WDW does, was it? Maybe it would still have the Legoland branding today (likely with lower attendance than it currently has) or maybe it would be another on the long list of defunct theme parks across the country.

Disstevefan1

I am still not understanding how this would hurt Disney World?
Initially I thought it would hurt WDW
After some thought, I think you are probably right. It won't hurt them.
It will just save them money at the cost of the taxpayer who don't even visit the parks.
They will lose some control, but I don't think they care.
It's not like they are in a rush to build or finish anything (see Moana)
And remember, whatever is there offerings are at WDW, folks still show up.
Disney wins again.

Chip Chipperson

Hard to tell if this has already been answered - sorry if it has. It is true that the **ad valorem" taxes, the one's based on the property value, have to be equitably applied to all taxpayers. But, the debt service for Reedy Creek is done through special assessment taxes, which are not ad valorem taxes. The special assessments will most likely be transferred out of Reddy Creek to Orange/Osceola counties and still be assessed to the various property owners in Reedy Creek. The special assessment laws are not being changed by the proposed bill.

The problem that dissolving the district creates for Disney is in the future. Unless they set up a CDD to take its place, they will not be able to pay for future infrastructure projects with what are essentially municipal bonds.

As for the frequently mentioned requirement that the landholders must approve the dissolution, the Senate bill amends the statute to eliminate that requirement.

Actually, the RCID bonds are set up as Ad Valorem tax bonds. So either the dissolution of the District creates a default event forcing the immediate payoff of the debt or the County assumes the debt when it absorbs the District. Either situation could result in new refunding bonds being issued, but unless another special district is established in place of RCID then the debt burden falls on all taxpayers rather than just the property owners in what is currently RCID.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom