News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

DCBaker

Premium Member
Judge Mark E. Walker has disqualified himself from Walt Disney Parks & Resorts vs Desantis case. The case has been reassigned to Judge Allen C. Winsor.

"ORDER ON DISQUALIFICATION

I have considered, without hearing, Defendants’ motion to disqualify me, ECF
No. 33, and Plaintiff’s response, ECF No. 43. For the reasons that follow,
Defendants’ motion is DENIED. Nonetheless, I find disqualification required for a
different reason."

Full document below.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"Without exploring all the other defects in the motion, for the reasons noted above and as thoughtfully outlined in Plaintiff’s response, Defendants’ motion is wholly without merit. In fact, I find the motion is nothing more than rank judge-shopping. Sadly, this practice has become all too common in this district"

He doesn't seem amused :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
"On Friday, May 26, 2023,I learned, and later confirmed, that a relative within the third degree of relationship owns thirty shares of stock in Plaintiff’s parent corporation, The Walt DisneyCompany"

I think its gonna be tough to not include people with at least a 3rd degree relationship with ANY investment in a huge company like DIS... or working out people that would also be impacted by this case when including such distant relationships.

30 shares... or $3,000... ugh

JohnD

Judge Mark E. Walker has disqualified himself from Walt Disney Parks & Resorts vs Desantis case. The case has been reassigned to Judge Allen C. Winsor.

"ORDER ON DISQUALIFICATION

I have considered, without hearing, Defendants’ motion to disqualify me, ECF
No. 33, and Plaintiff’s response, ECF No. 43. For the reasons that follow,
Defendants’ motion is DENIED. Nonetheless, I find disqualification required for a
different reason."

Full document below.

The state lucked out and, presumably, doesn't care why. Their motion resulted in the judge finding out he has a relative who invested 1 buck in Disney. That's enough to disqualify him. Their motion and his integrity paid off for them.

JohnD

DeSantis must be excited, the new judge is a Trump appointee.
Not necessarily. A Trump appointee, yes. But that doesn't necessarily mean a potential win for the state either. If he were in lockstep with Trump, he would agree with Disney. But being a judge, one would presume he has an independent mind so could still rule either way. It's not really a "lock" for the state.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not necessarily. A Trump appointee, yes. But that doesn't necessarily mean a potential win for the state either. If he were in lockstep with Trump, he would agree with Disney. But being a judge, one would presume he has an independent mind so could still rule either way. It's not really a "lock" for the state.

Worked for Rick Scott's administration. Practiced law in Tally, was on 1st DCA and taught at FSU, in addition to being a UF law school grad. So he's got a Florida connection with ties to Tally.

I wonder if my niece knows of him. She was a paralegal at DCA before moving to Jax, dumping the legal profession and becoming a nurse.

JohnD

Worked for Rick Scott's administration. Practiced law in Tally, was on 1st DCA and taught at FSU, in addition to being a UF law school grad. So he's got a Florida connection with ties to Tally.

I wonder if my niece knows of him. She was a paralegal at DCA before moving to Jax, dumping the legal profession and becoming a nurse.
Doesn't go to my church as far as so know. So I don't know him.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As I already stated, a Trump appointee is not necessarily a "win" for the state. We don't know how much in sync, if any, a judge is with Trump. But he's no fan of DeSantis and his handling of Disney.

Given his Florida ties, he understands how important Disney is to the state. Scott would announce the annual tourism numbers from...WDW.

Could have gotten worse...

peter11435

He’s not exactly known for being fair and unbiased.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom