Recommendations for someone who is vegetarian AND gluten free

ItsOn

Hello! I haven't been to WDW in 10 years but am planning a trip very soon!

Over the last decade I have had some health issues and my body chemistry has changed quite a bit.

I have MANY food allergies that I have developed, including wheat and gluten, and also have been a vegetarian for 12 years due to problems digesting meats. Anyways, I was curious to know if anyone would be kind enough to help suggest what someone in my situation can do to feel more at ease with eating at WDW.

I'm looking for places at theme parks or resorts that offer GF and Vegetarian options like veggie burgers etc.

Thanks in advance!

NiarrNDisney

First of all here is an article I read not to long ago you may find interesting: http://www.disneydining.com/top-ten-gluten-free-friendly-restaurants-walt-disney-world/ however the info for Pecos Bill's is no incorrect since the restaurant has recently changed their menu to Southwest fare.
You may also find the Vegetarian/Vegan section on Allears helpful they also have a section for Celiac Sprue and other food allergies

I primarily eat Vegetarian but I would consider myself a Pescatarian since I occasionally eat fish. That being said here are some restaurants I like that have options for your dietary needs:

MK - Be our Guest, Cosmic Ray's, Liberty Square Market, Main St. Bakery (Starbucks), Pinocchio Village Haus, Plaza Restaurant, Prince Erics Market, Skipper Canteen

Epcot - Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles, Fountain View (Starbucks), Liberty Inn, Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Café, Tutto Gusto

DHS - Anaheim Produce, Sci Fi Dine-In, Trolley Car Café (Starbucks)

DAK
- Creature Comforts (Starbucks), Harambe Market, Mr. Kamals, Rainforest Café, RestaurantoSaurus, Terra Treats

DS - Raglan Road, Rainforest Café, Splitsville, Starbucks

Resorts - BlueZoo (Dolphin), Boma (AKL), Café Rix (CSR), Everything Pop (POP), Fountain (Dolphin), Gasparilla Grill (GFR), Grand Floridian Café (GFR), Landscape of Flavors (AoA), Mara (AKL), Pepper MArket (CSR), Sanaa (AKL-KV), Trattoria al Forno (BWR),the Wave (CR)

* And remember if and when you make an ADR for a Table Service tell them at least a few days before your seating of your dietary needs and they will be sure to inform the Chef who can customize something to your liking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Try digging through http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/ While they specialize in GF/Dairy Free foods, they often travel with people who are Vegan/Vegetarian so the reviews often run the gamut for dietary needs. Depending on exactly how many food allergies you have, WDW Special Diets may be your best bet. See more info here, https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/ but they usually look for 4 or more allergies at once to get involved. Your GF/allergy needs should take precedence I'd say. Most CS locations (and all TS locations) should have at least once vegetarian option, but they may or may not be able to offer it GF. Not all locations have the prep space, or will carry GF options for things like rolls.
When in doubt, at a CS location, ask to see the book. They have a big binder at each location that goes into exact detail of all the ingredients being used at that location. And at a TS location, make sure to flag your ADR as "Allergy", and they should either bring out the allergy menu (if the location has one) or have a chef come out to discuss your options.
I'm lacto/ovo veg, but my DM is GF and we have traveled together a few times in park. Be prepared to wait 10-15 mins for CS food as they need to make it from scratch for you to ensure it is GF.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
hello just your friendly gf vegan here. BOG has about the best options lunch and dinner and they're right on the regular menu, Sanaa is also another excellent option (gf bread service), MM has a dairy free cheese and a couple of options for pasta and GF flat breads. Watch the veggies burgers some have both egg and dairy. The food courts at most of the resorts have several options. Most places that have a veggie sandwich will be happy to put it on a gf bun. CP is excellent at all meals and lots of fun. Welcome aboard @ItsOn and feel free to pm me if you have any questions

Upvote 0

coachwnh

Hello! I haven't been to WDW in 10 years but am planning a trip very soon!

Over the last decade I have had some health issues and my body chemistry has changed quite a bit.

I have MANY food allergies that I have developed, including wheat and gluten, and also have been a vegetarian for 12 years due to problems digesting meats. Anyways, I was curious to know if anyone would be kind enough to help suggest what someone in my situation can do to feel more at ease with eating at WDW.

I'm looking for places at theme parks or resorts that offer GF and Vegetarian options like veggie burgers etc.

Thanks in advance!
About an easy a place you'll find for GF dining. My wife has been GF sinc 97, and we began traveling to WDW soon after, and the only issues we ever had were at Kona Cafe (both times we ate there). I'd be happy to make recommendations if your interested.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
About an easy a place you'll find for GF dining. My wife has been GF sinc 97, and we began traveling to WDW soon after, and the only issues we ever had were at Kona Cafe (both times we ate there). I'd be happy to make recommendations if your interested.
Kona has a new allergy safe menu

Upvote 0

ItsOn

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this stuff out! I greatly appreciate it. I feel as though Disney only really caters to meat eaters etc, and not so much GF/Vegetarian options but am pretty shocked to see them stepping up to the plate.

I am pleased to find that WDW offers Gluten free alternatives like breads and rolls rather than just not offering them period!

How is the quality for those who have tried them?

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this stuff out! I greatly appreciate it. I feel as though Disney only really caters to meat eaters etc, and not so much GF/Vegetarian options but am pretty shocked to see them stepping up to the plate.

I am pleased to find that WDW offers Gluten free alternatives like breads and rolls rather than just not offering them period!

For the most part the pasta, flat bread, etc is fine but I prefer rice and quinoa that's gf to start with but that's just me.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

My DM would probably reply it's been good to mediocre. On one hand when we were at Cape May Cafe for breakfast a few years ago, she was excited to not only be offered GF Mickey Waffles, but also GF mini chocolate donuts which she hadn't had in years. But other times GF desserts have simply been pre-packaged cookies. Most products do come pre-packaged, not fresh. Some places will at least warm up rolls before serving them, others just stick a few still in the wrapper on a plate. I think my DM said most of the rolls and bread tasted like it was Udi's, but a few times it has been other brands.

My view on the vegetarian option is somewhat similar. The only place that I felt truly phoned it in was Bistro De Paris where they plopped 3 veggie side dishes on a plate and called it a meal. I do still see alot of veggie burgers and grilled veggie sandwiches, but they are starting to do more with fake meats like Terra and Quorn. I do strongly recommend V&A if you can afford it, best vegetarian meal I have ever had by leaps and bounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PrincessRachelT

I often go with friends who are gf, and I can't have lactose, so we usually all need the allergy menu. Something I've noticed, is that most QS places won't let you have the menu until you get to the register. It's quite annoying because then you hold up the line. At 1900 Park Fare, they made gf Mickey Waffles for my friends, and the chef usually comes out if you have any questions. Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

ItsOn

Original Poster
My DM would probably reply it's been good to mediocre. On one hand when we were at Cape May Cafe for breakfast a few years ago, she was excited to not only be offered GF Mickey Waffles, but also GF mini chocolate donuts which she hadn't had in years. But other times GF desserts have simply been pre-packaged cookies. Most products do come pre-packaged, not fresh. Some places will at least warm up rolls before serving them, others just stick a few still in the wrapper on a plate. I think my DM said most of the rolls and bread tasted like it was Udi's, but a few times it has been other brands.

My view on the vegetarian option is somewhat similar. The only place that I felt truly phoned it in was Bistro De Paris where they plopped 3 veggie side dishes on a plate and called it a meal. I do still see alot of veggie burgers and grilled veggie sandwiches, but they are starting to do more with fake meats like Terra and Quorn. I do strongly recommend V&A if you can afford it, best vegetarian meal I have ever had by leaps and bounds.

Thanks for the response. I enjoy Udi's so that is good. I am unsure what V&A is though. I am stoked for the GF mickey waffles as those were my favorite as a kid!

I often go with friends who are gf, and I can't have lactose, so we usually all need the allergy menu. Something I've noticed, is that most QS places won't let you have the menu until you get to the register. It's quite annoying because then you hold up the line. At 1900 Park Fare, they made gf Mickey Waffles for my friends, and the chef usually comes out if you have any questions. Have a great trip!!

Again, I am pumped for the GF mickey waffles. I can understand how frustrating it must be to not be able to get the allergy free menu until you are ready to order at the QS spots, but maybe if it the line is really long and I can just go up and ask a cashier?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Thanks for the response. I enjoy Udi's so that is good. I am unsure what V&A is though. I am stoked for the GF mickey waffles as those were my favorite as a kid!

Victoria & Alberts. Basically the best restaurant on property. $150 per person spend minimum, can easily hit $300-400 per person with drink pairings and upgrades. Formal dress required, multi course meal, 2+ hr duration, etc.

Again, I am pumped for the GF mickey waffles. I can understand how frustrating it must be to not be able to get the allergy free menu until you are ready to order at the QS spots, but maybe if it the line is really long and I can just go up and ask a cashier?

Not all CS locations actually have menu handouts. The book/binder of all ingredients is usually one per location, and it's typically kept behind the counter. I'd suggest doing a bunch of research online beforehand to see what you would expect to find so you can make a decision quickly when you are there, as some guests may get peeved if they think you are trying to cut the line to ask for a menu.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member

Quite a few of the menus are posted on glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com.

Upvote 0

PinnySmart

Your assumption that Disney only caters to meat eaters is wrong. Disney goes a lot further than they have to for allergies and lifestyle choices.

Upvote 0

cflwcast

I have kids with food allergies. Once we arrived at our dinner reservations at Norway (we booked same day) the chef came out and talked to us about their special food items and how they can cook to fit your need....from oils to spices to types of breads and meats. They're there to help

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom