Recent Trip

Tootsie

Original Poster
Let me start with, we had a fantastic time!! Stayed at AoA, loved it, would definitely stay there again, but in a closer building to the food court. We arrived on September 10, did the online check in and our room was ready when we arrived. Took the magic way bus from the airport, the wait to get on a bus was terribly long, but I guess being on a Saturday morning that was to be expected. Luggage showed up in a reasonable amount of time. Saturday and Sunday were "resort" days, went to the pool, very crowded, but again, it was the weekend, so to be expected. Monday, it was Epcot we straight to Soarin', love it, but was surprised we didn't need our fastpass, then remembered everyone goes right to Norway for Frozen. It was the same for Test Track, the park itself was crazy crowded for it to be the second week in September, also EXTREMELY HOT!!!! So when someone asks when it's the "slow" time at Disney, there is NO slow time anymore. But I guess my biggest problem with the whole trip - where is everyone's "Disney Magic"? We encountered several "not nice" cast members. I was shocked at how put out many of them were when we asked questions, no smiles, no nothing. It was that way in food services, lots of grumpy cast members. And as for, you "never" are supposed to answer someone with "I don't know" I got several of those answers. We also saw a lot of parent meltdowns, the kids usually had meltdown later in the day, but we say many parents losing it in the late afternoons. We were there through Sept. 17, we came home very exhausted and very disheartened with how the "magic" seems to be going away. I just wish the powers that be were more intuned to the actions of these grumpy cast members, I understand they as everyone else get frustrated, but I thought all of that was supposed to be left outside the gates. We did encounter more nice, magical cast members, but it's the grumpy ones that stood out to me.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Regarding your comments on cast members, I can say that I experienced the same things on a trip earlier this year. They just weren't into it. This was the case in all parks, but especially in World Showcase.

On a handful of occasions, as we approached the counter to order, or to board an attraction, the CMs were talking to each other about personal issues (i.e. relationships, etc.) and although they were pretty PG-rated, it was still something way out of the norm. Other CMs were simply unfriendly as they didn't smile and barely acknowledged that we were trying to order or ask them something. Not to appeal to cliches, but the retiree-aged workers are simply over it all and don't care, and the college-age employees are in their own world.

On the other hand, they are not paid very much, so I understand the sentiment, and there is plenty of fodder alleged by past employees that working for Disney is not a pleasant experience (aside from the low pay). But it sure would be nice if things were like the used to be. And I'm sure people here can argue the various points of these observations, but the bottom line is that things have certainly changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom