Really Bothered at Star Tours

BuddyThomas

Last week, while visiting Hollywood Studios, we rode Star Tours. I've always loved the ride, in it's originally state, and it's current state. I especially love the Jakku scene. What bothered me was the guy who was working in our vehicle. First, everyone sits down, and he does the, "how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing. That's annoying, I really keep hoping society is going to stop doing that. It's very Carnival cruise line-ish. I remember watching a show on carnival that was 45 minutes long, and it feels like 15 minutes was spent trying to get the crowd to answer that question the satisfaction of the performer.

Then, it got more obnoxious, he said, "you better be having a good time, you're at Disney, especially you kids (pointing to kids) because you were taken out of school today". I find that offensive, because I don't take my kids out of school for vacation. My kids were on spring break. If people do take their kids out of school, that's fine too, it's their decision, but to just presume you know what you are talking about is rude.

He then told more obnoxious jokes that I really can't remember, but it just seemed very un-Disney like. I mean, when you are on a disney attraction, you are never actually supposed to be on a disney attraction. You're supposed to be on a commercial space flight, or on a train to the base camp of mt Everest, or on an African safari. The whole thing just seemed very wrong and very much not appropriate for a Disney attraction.
THIS is what you're bothered about? Someone being enthusiastic about their job? I thought this was going to another thread about run down ride vehicles, peeling paint, or line cutters. An enthusiastic cast member is offensive to you? Just.....wow. It's now clear to me that people will complain about absolutely anything.

I have to fly to Phoenix tomorrow. If my cabin crew is too happy, I'm going to lodge a complaint. I'm also going to complain if there is a cloud outside my window.

Sheesh.

Last edited:

musketeer

Original Poster
Turns out I did
THIS is what you're bothered about? Someone being enthusiastic about their job? I thought this was going to another thread about run down ride vehicles, peeling paint, or line cutters. An enthusiastic cast member is offensive to you? Just.....wow. It's now clear to me that people will complain about absolutely anything.

I have to fly to Phoenix tomorrow. If my cabin crew is too happy, I'm going to lodge a complaint. I'm also going to complain if there is a cloud outside my window.

Sheesh.

You're completely missing the point. Enthusiastic is one thing, this wasn't enthusiasm, it actually sounded more like he was annoyed more than anything. But it's not even that, it's the fact that by doing what he did, he's acknowledging that you are sitting in an amusement park ride, which isn't what it's supposed to be. And also, the "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!!", Disney is above that, or at least should be.

EaglesfanNJ

Turns out I did

You're completely missing the point. Enthusiastic is one thing, this wasn't enthusiasm, it actually sounded more like he was annoyed more than anything. But it's not even that, it's the fact that by doing what he did, he's acknowledging that you are sitting in an amusement park ride, which isn't what it's supposed to be. And also, the "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!!", Disney is above that, or at least should be.

Sorry man, I truly do hope you have a better experience next time. But you should try and lighten up. There are millions of more pressing things in life to be "bothered" by, outside of you being on vacation and a CM spiel upset you. Ignore it next time, and have fun. Life is too short.

Tom Morrow

Nope.... "really bothered" but a CM doing his job and trying to get the crowd amped.

Again, technically the CM wasn't exactly doing their job, when loading they are supposed to play up the Star Wars and commercial spaceflight theme. It does cheapen the experience when some kid tries to force in ham-fisted lines, totally ignoring the theme. Of course it isn't a huge deal but it the details are supposed to be what sets Disney apart.

musketeer

Original Poster
Again, technically the CM wasn't exactly doing their job, when loading they are supposed to play up the Star Wars and commercial spaceflight theme. It does cheapen the experience when some kid tries to force in ham-fisted lines, totally ignoring the theme. Of course it isn't a huge deal but it the details are supposed to be what sets Disney apart.

THIS is EXACTLY the point I'm trying to make. If, for instance, he was pretending to be a Star Tours flight attendant and making stupid jokes, then maybe. But he wasn't, he was loading people on a theme park ride, it could have been exactly the same if he was putting people on the local state fair tilt a whirl. The people who work at the Tower of Terror don't do that, they stay in character as bellhops the whole time. All I'm really trying to say is that when I go there, I expect more, MUCH more, out of everything. It's expensive, but I'm ok with it because they put a good product out there. And a big part of that product is the whole story of each ride or show.

Someone earlier mentioned a southwest flight attendant, I've never flown on southwest, but I know how they are. If he was doing that kind of thing, that'd be fine, no problem with that, because that would fit the attraction.

Animaniac93-98

And if the same routine was done by a HM or ToT CM, would people think it acceptable? Each attraction is its own show, and requires different "performances". Referencing WDW as a place and talking about kids being taken out of school isn't apporpirate for Star Tours. There are more creative ways for CMs to play along with the audience.

BuddyThomas

THIS is EXACTLY the point I'm trying to make. If, for instance, he was pretending to be a Star Tours flight attendant and making stupid jokes, then maybe. But he wasn't, he was loading people on a theme park ride, it could have been exactly the same if he was putting people on the local state fair tilt a whirl. The people who work at the Tower of Terror don't do that, they stay in character as bellhops the whole time. All I'm really trying to say is that when I go there, I expect more, MUCH more, out of everything. It's expensive, but I'm ok with it because they put a good product out there. And a big part of that product is the whole story of each ride or show.

Someone earlier mentioned a southwest flight attendant, I've never flown on southwest, but I know how they are. If he was doing that kind of thing, that'd be fine, no problem with that, because that would fit the attraction.
You're spending far too much energy trying to make a point that probably did not need to be made. Apparently, you are easily annoyed. That's the point I got from all of this. This is a non-issue. And if it was such a major disappointment for you, a quick fix would be to just ride it again. Talk about First World Problems.

musketeer

Original Poster
And if the same routine was done by a HM or ToT CM, would people think it acceptable? Each attraction is its own show, and requires different "performances". Referencing WDW as a place and talking about kids being taken out of school isn't apporpirate for Star Tours. There are more creative ways for CMs to play along with the audience.

The only place where it WOULD be appropriate is on Primeval Whirl, because that attraction IS supposed to be a cheap thrill ride. Although it WOULDN'T be appropriate to reference being at Disney, because it isn't supposed to be there.

musketeer

Original Poster
You're spending far too much energy trying to make a point that probably did not need to be made. Apparently, you are easily annoyed. That's the point I got from all of this. This is a non-issue. And if it was such a major disappointment for you, a quick fix would be to just ride it again. Talk about First World Problems.

I totally agree that it's the very definition of a first world problem. BUT, disney holds themselves to high standards on detail, and this was a detail that was not done right, and I don't think it was appropriate for that attraction.

musketeer

Original Poster
Disney isn't supposed to be there? Good lord. Get over it. This is not a big deal.

I think I didn't make what I was saying clear. When I said "it isn't supposed to be there" I meant the ride isn't supposed to be at Disney, it's supposed to be located at the little town near the dinosaur institute.

It should have said, "Although it WOULDN'T be appropriate to reference being at Disney, because it isn't supposed to be at a Disney park"

Tom Morrow

Disney isn't supposed to be there? Good lord. Get over it. This is not a big deal.
I feel that the OP, myself, and others have explained pretty well why the OP's complaint is warranted. He keeps replying because you and others keep rushing in to defend mediocrity. OP even admitted it isn't a huge issue and a "first world problem", but that doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing. Stop trying to shut down the discussion.

PhotoDave219

I feel that the OP, myself, and others have explained pretty well why the OP's complaint is warranted. He keeps replying because you and others keep rushing in to defend mediocrity. OP even admitted it isn't a huge issue and a "first world problem", but that doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing. Stop trying to shut down the discussion.

Well thats whom Disney is marketing the resort to these days....

BuddyThomas

I'm not defending mediocrity. I assume that Disney employees on ride duty are allowed to "perform" from a strict script to begin with. If this kid went off script, he will eventually be reprimanded. But regardless, this is so not a big deal that the fact that this is a thread is mind blowing. Kill me now. A ride operator was enthusiastic! Let's do everything we can to get him fired because he ruined less than 90 seconds of your vacation. Please. Let's all get a grip.

graphite1326

Last week, while visiting Hollywood Studios, we rode Star Tours. I've always loved the ride, in it's originally state, and it's current state. I especially love the Jakku scene. What bothered me was the guy who was working in our vehicle. First, everyone sits down, and he does the, "how's everyone doing!" thing, which was fine, BUT then he proceeded to do the, "that wasn't very good, let's try that again!" thing. That's annoying, I really keep hoping society is going to stop doing that. It's very Carnival cruise line-ish. I remember watching a show on carnival that was 45 minutes long, and it feels like 15 minutes was spent trying to get the crowd to answer that question the satisfaction of the performer.

Then, it got more obnoxious, he said, "you better be having a good time, you're at Disney, especially you kids (pointing to kids) because you were taken out of school today". I find that offensive, because I don't take my kids out of school for vacation. My kids were on spring break. If people do take their kids out of school, that's fine too, it's their decision, but to just presume you know what you are talking about is rude.

He then told more obnoxious jokes that I really can't remember, but it just seemed very un-Disney like. I mean, when you are on a disney attraction, you are never actually supposed to be on a disney attraction. You're supposed to be on a commercial space flight, or on a train to the base camp of mt Everest, or on an African safari. The whole thing just seemed very wrong and very much not appropriate for a Disney attraction.
If this is all I had to complain about.......................I wouldn't complain.

Tom Morrow

I'm not defending mediocrity. I assume that Disney employees on ride duty are allowed to "perform" from a strict script to begin with. If this kid went off script, he will eventually be reprimanded. But regardless, this is so not a big deal that the fact that this is a thread is mind blowing. Kill me now. A ride operator was enthusiastic! Let's do everything we can to get him fired because he ruined less than 90 seconds of your vacation. Please. Let's all get a grip.
No one is gonna get fired over this or trying to get him fired. The Star Tours CMs are not actually given a script, just a few bullet points they have to say. It's more likely the CM would get a pat on the back for said enthusiasm. We're just discussing how we'd rather see that enthusiasm be channeled into enhancing the ride setting/story.

For me, personally, it isn't even so much about not staying in theme with the ride as that there is such a thing as too much enthusiasm from CMs. Again, when it moves beyond "I'want to enhance your experience on this ride" to a big spectacle of "look at me! look at how magical I am being!" it can become grating and frankly, sometimes awkward because the CM isn't aware that people aren't exactly into it.

musketeer

Original Poster

Has anyone anywhere on this thread said anything about being fired? "Let's do everything we can to get him fired...", where are you getting that from? Talk about mind blowing.

musketeer

Original Poster
I would have preferred the CM enhance the fantasy of where you are at the time. Stay in character and above all, it's about the attraction, not yourself! Talk about the force, make a joke of how Kylo Ren is a bit emo, things like that.

Yes, exactly, that kind of thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom