Reaction To Losing Something At WDW

cdeev8690

I misplaced my ID in the World Showcase a few years back. I went straight to Customer Relations in Epcot to report it missing. I also notified my front desk, in case it somehow turned up and they were notified. I checked back twice a day, every day with Lost & Found but it was never recovered. I had taken the ID out of my wallet at a drink kiosk in the Canada Pavillion and put it in my back pocket instead of back in my wallet as I thought i'd be using it again for a drink in UK (I was young and stupid and trying to drink around the world). While we were sipping on our drinks, we sat down and watched a little performance that was going on in the UK. By the time we got into Rose & Crown, ordered our drinks, and went to reach for my ID, I realized it was gone. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. To this day, it has never turned up. I was a little paranoid trying to figure out how I was going to fly back home without ID but security was pretty good about it and I was taken aside for additional questioning. Thankfully we got to the airport super early and security line was minimal.

For sure, I was disappointed and nervous and mad at myself. That's what I get for attempting to "Drink Around the World".

G00fyDad

The only thing we (I) have ever lost was a pair of my prescription sunglasses. I kept taking them off for a moment while riding Kilimanjaro Safaris so I could use the viewfinder on my camera and I left them in the seat when I got off the ride. We were all the way over near Kali River Rapids before I even realized that I was being blinded without my sunglasses. (Too busy taking photos I guess) I had my family wait at the ice cream snack spot and I ran back to the KS to see if they found them. Thankfully they did.

NEmickeyfan

Last December I purchased a Osborne Lights Passholder T-shirt for a good friend. I was on my way out of DHS to catch the friendship boat over to BC/YC to take some pictures of their holiday decos. I placed the sack with the shirt in it on the seat next to me. When I was inside the YC taking photos, I realized the shirt was still on the boat. I ran back out to the dock and waited for a boat to see if anyone had found the shirt....several boats actually. I was told to go to the store at the International Gateway... if the shirt was found, it would be taken there by a CM and they would send a lost item to lost and found. Sadly, the shirt was never turned in to the store or lost and found, so I can only assume that a guest found it and kept it. While I was pretty sure I would never see it again, I was hoping someone would do the right thing. When I returned home, I searched Ebay... and I do believe it had been listed there (just a hunch)... same shirt, same exact size. LIve and learn, I guess.

Raineman

Original Poster
During our whole trip, I had a bit of OCD happening, as I was constantly checking my pockets to make sure that nothing had fallen out. The first day, I brought my phone, just to take pics, and every time I got on and got off a ride, I was checking my pocket. I didn't bring my phone with me after that, but I would put my sunglasses in my pocket every time I got on a ride, and the pocket checking continued. Thank God the Magic Band had everything I needed, cause if I had to bring my wallet, I would have been paranoid about losing it too.

Rinx

My brother lost his wallet on Everest once. He didn't realize until we were well off the ride but was very confident he had it going onto it. We immediately went to guest relations and the wallet was already there. We were very impressed and fortunate.

MKCP 1985

These are great stories - very uplifting.

My niece had an experience at Space Mountain that was not so nice. At age 10, she failed to heed instructions and warnings to put her personal effects away and lost an iPod during the ride. Despite reporting the loss and checking at lost and found that night and the following night, she was never reunited. Even after returning home, attempts were made to follow up, but with no success.

The lesson in that experience was that there are sometimes unpleasant consequences to one's failure to heed instructions - even at the most magical place on earth.

cheshiresmile

Before cell phones we brought 2 way radios with us. We left one on a Disney bus toward the end of our trip. It was found after we left and Mickey sent it back to us!

Kevin_W

We had a good experience, like most on this thread. My wife had her cell phone fall out of her pocket on a late-night trip back to the hotel. But after a quick phone call, the bus driver found it and it was at the front desk of our hotel the next day!

We had a worse experience on the west coast when someone stole my camera. It was completely my fault that I left it unattended for 2-3 minutes, but that was long enough for someone to walk off with it.

slowjoe170

Years ago I lost a camcorder battery in Epcot and someone turned it in to lost and found. That was a nice surprise to get it back. Another time I lost an SD card in Festival of the Lion King while switching to a new card. It had all of the MK and Epcot photos and videos from the previous two days. I put in a ticket, but never got it back. Probably fell under the bleachers and got swept up at the end of the day. I was very blue because I lost probably my best ever Thunder Mtn RR and Test Track ride videos. Since then I transfer all of the days pics and vids to a Netbook each evening for safe keeping

rob0519

My wife left a gold necklace with a dove pendant in our room at the CR on checkout day. I know it was there because I told her not to forget it was on the nightstand. Well, of course she forgot it. We call the CR and Lost and Found the next day and every day for two weeks with no success. It was rather pricey and had great sentimental value. Years later she still brings it up when we're back at WDW.

Two other things I can think of: Our special needs adult son lost the bottom part of this lanyard which contained, at that time, his Keys to the Kingdom card. Guest Services was quick to replace the card that evening. The following day we went to the Wilderness Lodge to purchase a replacement. When the castmember saw the broken lanyard she allowed him to pick out a similarly priced one and gave it to him for no charge. The other was he lost his autograph book in which we did put our name and address. The next day we went to the Lost and Found near the Polynesian and it was actually turned in by a castmember the night before.

Minnie1976

I lost my husband's Maui Jim sunglasses that he let me wear. He had to get glasses years before and could no longer wear them. I wore contacts so I had been wearing them for years. We were in Pirates, and I put them on top of my cap. I took the cap off when we went down the little water fall. After we had been off for awhile, I went to put them on. They were gone. To say the least, I heard about it the rest of the trip.

He has since had eye surgery and purchased a really nice pair of sunglasses. This year in DLR on Indiana Jones he had them in his pocket and the attraction was so rough that they came out of his pocket. He lost them. HA! HA! Disney is not a good place for us and sunglasses.

Weather_Lady

Knock on wood, I haven't. I program the Lost and Found phone numbers into my phone, though, just in case, and keep a paper copy with the daily itinerary.

My preventative measure against losing anything is that I wear a small crossbody purse with all of my "stuff" in it (e.g., sunglasses, a couple of Band-Aids, Handi-wipes, etc.) when in the parks. Because that style fits under or next to any ride restraint system and is effortless and comfortable to wear, I never take it off, so neither the purse nor its contents can get lost or misplaced. (Famous last words, right?) ;)

Po'Rich

During one of our trips, my son was introduced to the thrills of pin trading. Soon, he was obsessed and had a lanyard filled with his favorite pins (I even had to buy the locking pin backs for him because he was worried that one might fall off). When we went to Dinosaur, he was worried the lanyard might somehow fly off, so he put it in the pocket in front of his seat...

When we were walking out, of the ride, he realized that he had left it in the pocket. I ran back and asked the cast members to look (we were even able to give them our car number since it was in the ride pictures)...but to no avail. We turned in our information to lost and found, but the lanyard never turned up. Over time, we've replaced most of the pins, but he never quite regained his initial thrill.

Last edited:

redsfan4life

I misplaced my ID in the World Showcase a few years back. I went straight to Customer Relations in Epcot to report it missing. I also notified my front desk, in case it somehow turned up and they were notified. I checked back twice a day, every day with Lost & Found but it was never recovered. I had taken the ID out of my wallet at a drink kiosk in the Canada Pavillion and put it in my back pocket instead of back in my wallet as I thought i'd be using it again for a drink in UK (I was young and stupid and trying to drink around the world). While we were sipping on our drinks, we sat down and watched a little performance that was going on in the UK. By the time we got into Rose & Crown, ordered our drinks, and went to reach for my ID, I realized it was gone. I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. To this day, it has never turned up. I was a little paranoid trying to figure out how I was going to fly back home without ID but security was pretty good about it and I was taken aside for additional questioning. Thankfully we got to the airport super early and security line was minimal.

For sure, I was disappointed and nervous and mad at myself. That's what I get for attempting to "Drink Around the World".
my wife was the same way on our honeymoon when she lost her ID

JayG84

Xmas last year, took my finance on her first trip to WDW. On our second day we were at AK and started out at Dinosaur. After getting off the ride we were in the gift shop and I went to grab my money clip, gone!. Ran around the entire ride from entrance back to gift shop and nothing. The staff pulled the photo to see what car we were on and after the car made its' run they checked but there was nothing. I had my credit card, $400 cash and my money clip gone :'(. Went back to the resort to see if I had left it there to no avail. Finally gave up and decided to go and try to enjoy AK. Later in the afternoon (3pm) I checked in with guest services to see if a miracle happened and to my shock it did. Some kind soul did the unimaginable and returned the whole thing, cash, credit card and my clip (the most important as it was a Tiffany clip my mom gave me before she passed away). Probably the kindest thing ever and really restored my faith in humanity.

BTW if anyone here was the one who returned it I am humbly grateful for your kindness and would still like to reward you for your kindness. I tried to find a name to provide a reward or at least a dinner on me but no one left a name.

Kadiem

I lost my digital camera on Space Mountain. It was the first day of our trip in 2003. Brand new digital camera --- my first, if I remember correctly. The case it was in had a snap button strap that you could use to hook to your belt --- so I did just that. I used to be so concerned with getting in/out of the ride vehicles on any attraction quickly. I guess that I thought I was being courteous as to not make people wait or something. Perhaps it was just stupidity :). Well, we got off the ride and made it just about to the gift shop when I noticed the camera was gone. I'm sure that I let out a string of obsenities and we made a bee line back through the queue (cast member let us go up the Fast Pass line). Got to the area right before the loading area and I asked the Cast Member if anyone had turned one in. No dice. The rest of the trip we would continuous check in with the Lost and Found at both the Magic Kingdom and outside the park by the TTC. To this day, my daughter (now 19) still reminds me every time we go on Space Mountain to make sure that I have everything before we get out of the ride vehicles. And, I take WAY more time now getting in/out of the various park vehicles to make sure that I have everything that I came with!

Kadiem

Just thought of another one. It was probably 2001 or 2002. My daughter was around 4 or 5 yrs old at the time, so getting character autographs was a big deal to her. We had accumulated almost an entire books worth over a couple of trips by now. Well, we were in Mickey's Toontown Fair in the tent getting someone's autograph (maybe Mickey at the time?). My daughter had the book and a Mickey pen. We shopped a bit in the store and then went to see the Tiki birds. As soon as we sat down, and the show started, my daughter started crying hysterically. At first I thought she was scared of the show. Then she explained that her autograph book was gone. We raced out of the show and made our way back to the tent at Toontown Fair --- never expecting that we'd actually find it. Someone had found the book and even the pen and turned it in to a Cast Member in the gift shop. Happy little girl and even happier parents! Happy that we didn't have to go through ALL those autograph sessions again :)

JohnD

I lost an MB at Dinosaur. Didn't realize until I went to purchase something in the gift shop. Bottom line: CMs couldn't find it. Went to a kiosk to suspend it and used my AP card the rest of the day. Ask for a new MB at the resort.

Lost an FSU cap at Test Track. Even went to lost and found at the TTC. Couldn't find it. Oh well.

bsiev1977

My trip last December with my sister and niece, we left my niece's life jacket near the pool and didn't realize we were missing it until we'd gotten home. Not long after I received a card in the mail informing me that Lost and Found had something of ours. Turned out to be an iPhone charging cord that had been found in our room, which neither my sister or I could remember having lost.

superchc80

A few years ago when Frozen was still at it's peak in popularity, I bought my daughter an Elsa doll at the Parks. She begged to take it with us to MK. Of course I knew better, but I caved and said okay. Long story short (too late), she left it sitting on a MK park bench. After realizing that it was gone, she and I went to guest services on the long shot that someone had turned it in. The sweet CM checked and said that no one had. My daughter (she was 4 at the time) just hung her head and started to cry. I thanked the CM for her time and just before we left she asked us to wait a minute. While waiting I took the opportunity to comfort my DD yet use the opportunity to teach a lesson about taking care of our belongings. When the CM came back, she told my DD that she had just talked to Mickey Mouse and told him what had happened. The CM said that Mickey was sad that my DD was upset over an accident so he called his friends in a special princess shop and that they had the same Elsa doll waiting for DD to take her home. All we had to do was go get her! My daughter gave that CM the biggest hug and I was overwhelmed with her kindness and generosity. I made sure to tell everyone in TDC who would listen about the awesome CM in guest relations. It may not sound like much, but her kindness will not be forgotten anytime soon by this Momma.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom