Re-Discovering Disney's 'live action film' past.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Another live action film from Disney's past is 'Popeye'...talk about a totally 'forgotten' film!

It came out in 1980 and starred Robin Williams and Shelly Duvall, and i remember going to see it in the theater as a kid.
The most notable thing about it was the music featured in the film, which i have enjoyed since it's release.

The film is incredibly random...i just re-watched it last night.
It is definitely a character driven film, as most of the 'entertainment' factor derived from it is just the wacky assortment of various personality types and just listening to their random mutterings.
Some of it is quite funny...other times not so much.
A very surreal and strange film...but entertaining at points just from it's sheer display of utter randomness.
Poopdeck Pappy's mid-film rant about children is worth watching alone.

The soundtrack is worth seeking out however.
Beatles fans probably are already aware of it, as Harry Nillson created the music and songs.
Klaus Voorman ( a well known Beatles co-hort from their past..) appears in the film as the Bandleader/Conductor character.

Bairstow

Yeah, Popeye is totally bizarre. I've heard that the giant "Sweethaven" set they built for it is still out there in the Med somewhere.

I did like the way Jon Brion re-purposed "He needs me" for Punch Drunk Love.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Yes, i recall some time ago vaguely hearing that some of the buildings present for the Sweethaven set are still standing in Malta, where much of the filming for that segment was done.

'Popeye' was always one of those quirky movies i liked for some odd reason.
The music/songs i liked and still enjoy, and the sheer bizarre random things some of the characters do and say is strangely entertaining.

Another live action film kind of 'forgotten' that i watched recently is Disney's ' Squanto - A Warrior's Tale' which was released in 1994.

Article here for those not familiar with this movie -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squanto:_A_Warrior's_Tale

I picked it up on VHS some years ago to check out...seemed a film i would enjoy.
I knew nothing about it...never even heard of it, much less being aware it was a Disney release...but gave it a chance.
I will admit at the time i gave it a chance solely based on the subject matter, and the 'Disney' brand name above the title.

I liked it quite a bit....and actually found it to be much better then i was expecting for what seemed a 'direct to video release' ( which it was not, i found out later..).
It was well done...although there were a couple of exaggerated character types that stuck out ( Sir George, primarily ).

I recommend it.
Good film to watch around this time of year if you celebrate Thanksgiving in the states...!

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is what the Disney channel used to be so great for. It's ashamed that Disney lets their library rot vs having a channel like turner classic movies

If you are just scratching the tip with the gimmie movies like 20k - you must seek out the Fred macmurry films

The absent minded professor
Flubber
The gy dog
Follow me boys

Then you must old yeller
The facet crokitt movie
Toby Tyler
Pollyanna

Then follow the actors on contract at the time...
Kevin Corcoran
Kurt Russell
Tommy Kirk

Etc. with the recurring actors it becomes really easy to feel comfortable with a movie as 'Disney' with Corcoran or tommy Kirk in it

Everyone should watch 20k, treasure island, and Swiss family Robinson

Matt_Black

I've seen no mention of The North Avenue Irregulars or The Apple Dumpling Gang yet. For shame!

There's also the Barefoot Executive, but that... It's like being hit in the face by the 1970s.

prberk

This is what the Disney channel used to be so great for. It's ashamed that Disney lets their library rot vs having a channel like turner classic movies

If you are just scratching the tip with the gimmie movies like 20k - you must seek out the Fred macmurry films

The absent minded professor
Flubber
The gy dog
Follow me boys

Then you must old yeller
The facet crokitt movie
Toby Tyler
Pollyanna

Then follow the actors on contract at the time...
Kevin Corcoran
Kurt Russell
Tommy Kirk

Etc. with the recurring actors it becomes really easy to feel comfortable with a movie as 'Disney' with Corcoran or tommy Kirk in it

Everyone should watch 20k, treasure island, and Swiss family Robinson

Old Yeller is still a classic and definitive statement for coming-of-age films, in my opinion. And it being a period piece helps it also to be timeless. It looks like you would expect it to look, not stuck with the styles of the period it was made in.

The Disney Channel should definitely still show these, especially in evening or Saturday afternoon rotation, especially Old Yeller, The gy Dog, 20,000 Leagues, and Pollyanna.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Add in the Rocketeer. And Tron.

Rocketeer I just recorded off HBO...

But those films are just popular Disney films... the films we listed above were about defining the Disney genre... strengthened by the recurring cast of actors due to Disney having them under contract.

Matt_Black

Rocketeer I just recorded off HBO...

But those films are just popular Disney films... the films we listed above were about defining the Disney genre... strengthened by the recurring cast of actors due to Disney having them under contract.

Well, Tron IS pretty genre defining, as far as sci-fi films go, what with it being (I think) the first instance of cyberspace on film. Also, first movie with a successful video game tie-in.

prberk

I would like to see all of them in the rotation, including the ones with the contract actors of the '50s and '60s, as well as some of the better later films. I agree that the earlier live-action films helped define Walt Disney to a whole generation (and several after that), and also have lasting effects on the what was designed into the parks and are referenced in our culture and in other Disney products; so I do think that they should be found in regular rotation. And you know that they represented Walt Disney's values in a broad sense also because he was still alive when they were made.

I also think that, although the studio seemed to falter for a while in films (overly cheesy) after Walt, there were some late-sixties and seventies and eighties Walt Disney Productions/Pictures live action films (like The Black Hole and Tron and The Rocketeer and Night Crossing and Freaky Friday and Napoleon and Samantha and Something Wicked This Way Comes and Candleshoe) that would be good to show every now and then, too.

And finally, I think that the original Mickey Mouse Club is iconic, and should be on the Disney Channel (like in early mornings maybe like it used to be). It was also definitive. And if you really watch it, you can see how well-done it really was. It had fun features that did not talk down to children. It had wonderful serials (lke Spin and Marty and Annette with these same contract actors from the film division) and special guests and even an occasional "travelogue" showing cultural things. You can really see the development of Walt Disney's way of thinking (daily themes that mimicked the type of theming that he put in his park, interest in travel and foreign lands, love of freedom and music, showmanship) in this show, which he really shepherded while he was also developing Disneyland and innovative showmanship like what would become the World's Fair attractions (which themselves brought the genesis for EPCOT).

So, I agree. These iconic films, along with the MMC and some of the later (after-Walt but still good) ones should be in regular rotation, along with especially the MMC and maybe even some Disneyland shows (like the ones with those contract actors visiting Disneyland, etc.) -- any of which help define the Disney heritage. And of course the Disney heritage continues to evolve, but just like Tomorrowland balances out Frontierland and Liberty Square/Bear Country in Disneyland and MK, the new material should be showcased and balanced on the Disney Channel with a firm foundation that these films would bring, as they used to in a formula that so successfully served to build Disney's legacy for so long. Walt himself used television to define his "brand" with this mix of heritage and innovation. They should still do that on The Disney Channel. It would serve them well.

Brer Oswald

I know this is a little late, but I discovered 20,000 Leagues in its entirety earlier this year! Read the book for a project, watched the movie just for fun, and did research on the ride so I could do a big comparison presentation of the three. Now I can say I know a lot about the IP :D, I only wish that the company would use it more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom