RCT II: Let the speculation begin

NowInc

Originally posted by walthimself05
so will you be able to ride the rides in front seat

Nope..that would require a 3D engine..and to tell you the truth..i wouldnt WANT one...i like the style as it is ;)

Testtrack321

Originally posted by StarscreamLSU

Cool thing I have an appointment for the 'closed sesson' then :)

:D

Could you tell us what it looks like and some features then?
Infograms is the developer so go to their booth.

Firebird

I think the main thing missing from the original is the way of making buildings and realistic paths. I know you can make buildings by building uncerground but lets face it they don't look like proper buildings. Also a way of making restaurants may be good not just having stalls.

A cross between the Sims and RCT would be cool not that I would want the games to link in (tacky) but building like Main Street as you would a house in the Sims would make the parks more realistic and atmospheric.

CrashNet

To everyone

First of all, we should still be able to see screenshots from the upcoming game even though it is a closed session. How? All of the big name PC Game magazines and websites like gamespot.com will have access to these closed sessions and will be able to do coverage for us in their magazines/websites.

And now for everyone else. I have a little treat for everyone. Go to the link below. Gamespy recently did an interview with Chris Sawyer about RCT II. It has some more information about changes in the new game. And so everyone knows and we don't take four days to convince everyone, the picture you will see on the page is from the original RCT, not the new one. After you read the interview you will understand why. Enjoy!:D

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=3400

NowInc

...actually..if its a CLOSED session...no photos or videos are allowed to be taken (of course someone can try and SNEAK one..but the chances are slim to none)...but who knows...it all depends on how far along the game is...

They really dont want another "coaster game craze" to happen like it did last time...where RCT came out..and about 6 other "coaster" games came out at the same time...

Hochmania

I would like to see the following options in RCT II:

* Parking lots - We should be able to create parking lots, trams, name parking lots, etc.

*Resort Hotels - This probably won't make it into RCT II, but I'd love to see this option.

*Full service restaurants

*Parades & Street entertainment in general - Those stupid characters aren't enough.

*FASTPASS - Something to that effect for visitors to take advantage of.

*No limits on stations for Monorail - 4 stops isn't enough!

*More dinky rides - Carousel and Slide get old fast...we need ways to keep low impact rides attractive

*Fix way that rides become "old" - I'm sorry, but I've gone to WDW for I dont know how long and Splash Mountain always has people riding it. I think the game now just says "Well, ride x has been around for 4 years, it's old so no one will want to ride it!". Give me a break! I've made some great rides that people love and just because it's been around for X years doesnt mean it all of a sudden sucks.

*Fix way people wont pay for rides - Similiar to my previous idea, the game plays percentages. If a ride opens at $2, it will go in a pattern to $1.50 > $1.20 > $1 > $.80 > $.60 > $.40 >.$20 > Free. This is just stupid. Good rides deserve good prices.

*People in the game - They are braindead. I hate how they just walk as they please randomly. Have them pick rides they want to ride and send them on their way.

*Remove assumption no one will ride coasters in rain - It just seems stupid that 99% of the people wont ride anything outdoors because its raining is just wrong.

*Engineers who can't find way to fix ride - This is REAL annoying. I dont know how many times I've seen my engineers walk right up to the entrance and not go in. Let them find anyway into the ride to fix it.

*Puke - Not everyone pukes whenever and wherever they feel like it. Am I the only person who tries for a trash can or bathroom? Why don't they just go to the bathroom on the bench while they're at it?

Lovecraft

Originally posted by NowInc
Since Sawyer isnt a 3D programmer..you can expect the game to still be Sprite based...

This isn't necessarily true. There is no reason to assume that Sawyer isn't going to use Direct 3D for his next game just because traditionally he used an isomorphic 2d system for the first one. The math involved in creating a RCT type of game is essentially the same as for a 3D world when the physics and translations are considered for the roller coasters and such.

As far as being able to code for Direct3D -- well, it is probably easier than the original 2d Isomorphic code he implemented in his first RCT game-- just different.

I would suspect that Sawyer now has many talented programmers at his disposal with talents in areas that he requires for his new game.

Now..... what would I *like* to see happen with the main engine? I would like to see it stay an isomorphic pseudo 3d game. I purchased and played the RCT clones out there that were done with D3d and honestly I don't like them. They are rarely as visually pleasing as what baseline computers allow with 2d vs. 3d systems with tons of individual objects which must be rendered. But, if he goes with an interface similar to the 3d interface for Black & White it should still be good but may run slowly on systems which are fine for running RCT I.

I suspect he will use 3d rather than 2d because people do want to "test ride" the attractions -- and believe me as a graphics programmer/developer it is much easier and effective to code this sort of virtual ride through system using Direct3D or OpenGL rather than trying to modify a 2d iso system.

Just my thoughts,
Lovecraft

p.s. I may be attending E3 this year on business, I will try to find out more about this game for you guys if so. I am usually pretty good about getting into the closed booths etc. I won't be able to leak you any information I am asked not to, however.

Lovecraft

After reading the interview with Sawyer I feel he will not be doing D3D polygonal graphics -- which to me is good.

But, it most likely does exclude virtual ride throughs (which Sim Coaster) allows -- this might be bad for RCT II from a sales perspective. But we will see. I love how Sawyer does most of the coding himself, it is the way I work as well (I am almost finished with my RPG creation game which allows you to make games of Baldur's Gate II and Diablo II quality -- and share them with friends!) -- it takes much longer to produce a game in this way (I don't know how I am going to be able to finish all of the art, I will probably have to get help on that since all code and art so far is just by me) but as sawyer and Carmack in the past have shown, it seems to be better from a playability standpoint than the mass market style of game production around today.

I hope the industry doesn't run out of the rogue garage coders!

--Lovecraft

NowInc

I would LOVE to see him add a black and White type of interface..that game was the easiest "feeling" game i ever played, and the engine is definatly powerfull enough to do a coaster/theme park game..

...one side note...in general..i HATE how "openGL" games tend to look (ultimate ride for example)....it just looks too sloppy...but thats just me ;)

CrashNet

Interesting

I know this won't happen, because after reading the interview, Chris pointed out that the "look and feel" of the game will be pretty much the same. Has anyone seen the screenshots for Sim City 4 though? Those images are created using a 3d engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, because it sounds like Lovecraft knows A LOT more about games than I do, but the difference between these two games, RCT and SC4, are that RCT takes 3d models that are rendered as sprites and puts them into a 2d environment. SC4 takes straight code and generates real time 3d models of buildings, roads, trees, etc in a 3D environment. If he had taken that route, I would have been just as pleased as I am now knowing that he stuck with the same look. If you want to look at the screenshots, go to my webpage by clicking this link:

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/simcity4/screenshots.html

Oh yeah, and sorry about the ads. I'm looking for another host right now to fix that. Talk to everyone later!

-Chris

NowInc

You are correct..RCT is sprite based....I dont find this to be "limiting" because it insures the game will run smoother on "lower end" systems...

I still have an itching suspicion that his "other secret project" is transport tycoon 2....a game that uses a VERY similar engine to RCT...

Lovecraft

Originally posted by NowInc
...one side note...in general..i HATE how "openGL" games tend to look (ultimate ride for example)....it just looks too sloppy...but thats just me ;)

I agree with you on the B&W interface and engine, that kind of thing would be great for a coaster/amusement park sim.

RE: OpenGL
I know what you mean, but for the life of me I can't figure out WHY games done in OpenGL seem to lack. I mean from looking at the OpenGL kit and experimenting with it, there is no reason for it... unless, the vid card/driver doesn't fully support OpenGL but does support Direct3D. If so, the OpenGL stuff may dumb itself down a bit.

But still, there is no excuse for sloppiness. OpenGL can do MUCH better, hell it was/is the graphics standard for many mainframe systems and graphics workstations running *nix operating systems.

Maybe its a lack of familiarity and lack of "pre-canned" effects in OpenGL vs. the included stuff and incredible amounts of data/books for Direct3d (game specific). Maybe the new batch of coders on games are "script kiddies" and if placed in an unknown environment simply choke.

--Lovecraft

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom