Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It was just posted by a PP that 2 *days* beforehand, there are no FPs to be had for FEA and SDMT. That's the same situation, on a different scale.

While the old system may have been biased to people who arrived earlier in the day, the new system is biased to people who plan ahead. Both systems are unequal, just in different ways.

It's totally fine to say the new bias works for (g)you while the old one didn't...it's not OK to act like this system is somehow any more equal than the one before it.

(edited to correct the post, as I attributed statements to jakeman that were said by LuvtheGoof).
So I wanted to stay out of this, but just can't. At no point did I state that the new system is any more equal than the one before it. Neither system is perfect, and no one system will ever be. My statement was that having lived under no FP, old FP, and new FP+, we prefer the new FP+ to any of it. Just our personal belief, and no one else that doesn't like it is wrong - except when they state that there is no availability on short notice.

I responded to a statement was made that there was NO availability for FP+ just a few days out, and the fact is that there are only 2 attractions right now that FP+ is not available for. That poster is a local, and I cannot believe that there isn't one single day of the week that he/she cannot get to a park at rope drop to ride 7DMT or FEA with little to no wait.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I responded to a statement was made that there was NO availability for FP+ just a few days out, and the fact is that there are only 2 attractions right now that FP+ is not available for. That poster is a local, and I cannot believe that there isn't one single day of the week that he/she cannot get to a park at rope drop to ride 7DMT or FEA with little to no wait.

That's a great story right there. Complete fiction, but funny none the less.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They are also now claiming the rock work in Pandora is an "attraction" so I'm not sure what Disney claims is super reliable. At least they didn't try to add FP+ to that "attraction".

"We're sorry, there are no FastPass+ times available today for: Kilimanjaro Safaris; Expedition: Everest; Kali River Rapids; It's Tough To Be A Bug; Dinosaur!; Primeval Whirl; Rivers of Light; Avatar: Flight of Passage; Na'Vi River Journey. May we suggest 'The Avatar Rockwork' at 6:15pm?"

tribbleorlfl

One because MM+ has more customer facing bugs than a 2 dollar hotel room.

Two MM+ is not really a refactoring of existing systems into a new one it's a Hadoop mashup of Disneys existing craptastic computer systems with all their underlying dependencies along with new ones related to Hadoop and MongoDB.

Why do you think 4 years in we still can't do FP at. Multiple parks probably because Disney used agile and the 'story' was never completed as management took the first working build and ran with it in 2012

Other customers see the ugly reality of this system and want nothing to do with it plus because it's a mashup you would need extensive and expensive localization

The MB's themselves and the readers are the best part of the system.

BTW the backend has been discussed many times on this forum and others
All words that are the bane of my existence right now.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
One because MM+ has more customer facing bugs than a 2 dollar hotel room.

Two MM+ is not really a refactoring of existing systems into a new one it's a Hadoop mashup of Disneys existing craptastic computer systems with all their underlying dependencies along with new ones related to Hadoop and MongoDB.

Why do you think 4 years in we still can't do FP at. Multiple parks probably because Disney used agile and the 'story' was never completed as management took the first working build and ran with it in 2012

Other customers see the ugly reality of this system and want nothing to do with it plus because it's a mashup you would need extensive and expensive localization

The MB's themselves and the readers are the best part of the system.

BTW the backend has been discussed many times on this forum and others

Wait, they're using MongoDB for more than simple front end content caching? That would make my day right there.

jaklgreen

You would honestly go that far to add up pennies of difference for each product? Way to much for 99.9% of us. :eek:

Sorry that it has degraded your experience. We didn't like the FP system, as it never worked for how we tour the parks - which is very slowly. New system suits us perfectly, as we don't have to rush to get anywhere. We also toured back before any FP, and while people like to think it was better - well, they're delusional. I saw 2 hour waits for Space Mountain (and many other rides) within an hour of park opening.

Nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed. :D

We also like the new MB over the old paper tickets. We like to sleep in on our vacations and hated feeling like we needed to rush to the attraction that we wanted to go on to get a paper FP only to have it be hours away. It also annoyed us to get in line at the FP tickets and watch all of the idiot try to figure out how to work it. Not to mention the 1 person who had 20 tickets they wanted FPs for. I much prefer to book my 3 FPs at home before I leave and know which ones I have and at what time. Put us in the group that has been going to WDW for over 2 decades too. And I don't think its the magic bands that have increased wait times, its the sheer amount of people who are at the park now. Some of you are posting that there is a drop in attendance, I don't see it. Has it dropped from 'you can't lift your arm without hitting someone' to 'I have a foot of space between the next person and myself'. It is still crazy busy.

Kingtut

"We're sorry, there are no FastPass+ times available today for: Kilimanjaro Safaris; Expedition: Everest; Kali River Rapids; It's Tough To Be A Bug; Dinosaur!; Primeval Whirl; Rivers of Light; Avatar: Flight of Passage; Na'Vi River Journey. May we suggest 'The Avatar Rockwork' at 6:15pm?"
Breaking news - Disney has just included all DVC kiosks into the FP+ program. According to a Disney spokesperson "This forward looking move is to ensure that no one who wants to spend a large amount of money may ever have to wait in line like one of the great unwashed masses who come to our parks. This also ensures that FP+ times will always be available for anyone who walks in without any previous planning "

Disney also announced the expansion of the Rapid Refill system to all resort restroom TP dispensers - for a truly Magical Experience

Must stop typing........

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
"May we suggest 'The Avatar Rockwork' at 6:15pm?"

Gah, Avatar Rockwork is all that's available? OK FINE..

bG0ny7N.jpg

jaklgreen

I'm very sorry that you don't know the difference between overall availability (100% of 100%) and reserve availability (N% of 100%). I was wrong to assume that you had more than simple comprehension skills. My sincerest apologies for that. I'm also sorry that you couldn't have known that I would want a FP+ for the most popular ride at MK. My mistake for having expectations greater than nil.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. :rolleyes:

But why should there be 100% availability for every ride. That did not even exist before. For example, when they had the paper FPs, as soon as TSMM opened up the whole crowd would run and get FPs for it so they were all gone for the day within 15 minutes. If you didn't mow over some kid to get there right when it opened then you were SOL. Same with Soarin, and BTMRR. At least with the new system there is still a chance that you can get a FP for rides at all times of the day. The old system would just give you the next available time. I know we will make reservations for some rides later in the day and even use it for parade viewing. There never was a guarantee that you would get a FP for the most popular ride.

L.C. Clench

But why should there be 100% availability for every ride. That did not even exist before. For example, when they had the paper FPs, as soon as TSMM opened up the whole crowd would run and get FPs for it so they were all gone for the day within 15 minutes. If you didn't mow over some kid to get there right when it opened then you were SOL. Same with Soarin, and BTMRR. At least with the new system there is still a chance that you can get a FP for rides at all times of the day. The old system would just give you the next available time. I know we will make reservations for some rides later in the day and even use it for parade viewing. There never was a guarantee that you would get a FP for the most popular ride.
Now they were all gone in 15 min? Earlier reports said it was at least 10:00 before they ran out so this is some cut.

My wife is not a RD person and the closest we've ever gotten is 45 min after opening and in all the years and trips we took we never missed getting a FP until the implementation of FP+.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Oh, I don't think there should be 100% availability for every ride 100% of the time. I think a reserve pool should be created with n% of FP+ overall availability that should release at 7AM every morning. That's what I mean by reserve availability. I wouldn't even limit it to people with APs, open it to everyone. Let's say there are 100,000 FP+ reservations available in the pool for any single attraction on any given day. If 20% were left out of the general reservation pool and released to the general public at 7AM on the day they're usable that would be an improvement for everyone who doesn't plan 30 or 60 days in advance.

It would simulate what was available to before FP+ to satisfy people who visit and don't plan, while still providing the majority of the FP+ pool to people who plan ahead.

It did kind of exist before, you just had to have a runner.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Now they were all gone in 15 min? Earlier reports said it was at least 10:00 before they ran out so this is some cut.

My wife is not a RD person and the closest we've ever gotten is 45 min after opening and in all the years and trips we took we never missed getting a FP until the implementation of FP+.

TSMM definitely was the times that we went. We did the mad rush one year at park opening and got in that loooong line and our FP time came out at 8pm. A few minutes later they were all gone.

jaklgreen

Oh, I don't think there should be 100% availability for every ride 100% of the time. I think a reserve pool should be created with n% of FP+ overall availability that should release at 7AM every morning. That's what I mean by reserve availability. I wouldn't even limit it to people with APs, open it to everyone. Let's say there are 100,000 FP+ reservations available in the pool for any given day, if 20% were left out of the general reservation pool and released to the general public at 7AM on the day they're usable that would be an improvement for everyone who doesn't plan 30 or 60 days in advance.

It would simulate what was available to before FP+ to satisfy people who visit and don't plan, while still providing the majority of the FP+ pool to people who plan ahead.

It did kind of exist before, you just had to have a runner.

I thought that is what they did, held some back for the day guests. Maybe not as many as you would like, or maybe they just go that fast. But I am pretty sure that they do that. I am not a local but do buy and AP because I go twice a year. Why shouldn't people staying on property have the extra benefit of booking FP+ in advance? Not to discount locals but you guys can pretty much go whenever you want. You can go during the slower times and spend a few hours doing what you want. When others have to travel there spending thousands of dollars, I can see why WDW would offer this kind of benefit so that guests can make their stay a better experience so they come back and spend thousands more. That is how I would see it if I were running things. Annual pass members have special events throughout the year that just they can go to that is a bonus to them.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I thought that is what they did, held some back for the day guests. Maybe not as many as you would like, or maybe they just go that fast. But I am pretty sure that they do that. I am not a local but do buy and AP because I go twice a year. Why shouldn't people staying on property have the extra benefit of booking FP+ in advance? Not to discount locals but you guys can pretty much go whenever you want. You can go during the slower times and spend a few hours doing what you want. When others have to travel there spending thousands of dollars, I can see why WDW would offer this kind of benefit so that guests can make their stay a better experience so they come back and spend thousands more. That is how I would see it if I were running things. Annual pass members have special events throughout the year that just they can go to that is a bonus to them.

They do hold some back, but not enough to satisfy demand. I absolutely think anyone staying on property should have those benefits. We can go anytime we want, but that doesn't make the experience better in itself. Especially since there is pretty much no such thing as slower times anymore. There are no special events for pass members, we just have a little more access.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom