Random thought: A video game themed land

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So this RAANDOMLY popped up in my head this morning right when I woke up! What if Disney World have a video game themed land in one of their parks? Now I honestly have nooo idea where it would fit in with (Most likely Hollywood Studios, considering it technically doesn't even have a theme living up to its name at the moment. Heck, I think they should re-name and re-theme the park completely) Also to those who may complain about how they're not Disney or anything.. I don't wanna hear it with this Avatarland thing going on! :p

But the idea would be very creative and great! (If they do it right) Just think of the endless possibilities they could use with different games like Mario, Bioshock Infinite.. heck. Even a flipping MineCraft cart coaster xD

Also.. Imagine how much more guests this would bring in with all of those video game nerd enthusiasts! And all of the special events that would probably take place like Star Wars has.

Again, just a random thought. Not a great one. Probably posted before. But interested to hear others opinions :)

Chef Mickey

I think the theming to specific movies, characters, games, etc gets old really fast. For example, the Minecraft coaster might be cool now, but Minecraft is a fad that could become irrelevant and it would need to be updated.

To combat this, you're seeing Disney go to video displays and projections they can change out more quickly when the theme gets old (Thank you, Nemo). They are also building "cheaper" attractions that can just be torn down if need, but they'll get way too long in the tooth before they'll change it. This ultimately creates a worse attraction that can't stand the test of time.

I want to see more "All In" attractions, years in development with no expense spared and no "easy way out" theming. Develop a great concept and just run with it. Of course, it can be loosely themed to a character, movie, show, etc, but it can't rely on that premise.

I think the days of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, etc are gone because of this constant need to "theme" to whatever is currently popular.

All the best rides at Disney are not tied to a current movie, game, trend, etc. They are just cool, yet still themed.

Last edited:

northmusic

A video game land or park would be an excellent idea! There's enough history and content at this point to have a slew of interesting rides and attractions. The only hurdle might be obtaining permission from IP owners to use their content.

Even if a new land or park wasn't realistic for the Disney Company, I think a video game themed resort would be a huge success. :)

Cmdr_Crimson

I think a video game themed resort would be a huge success. :)

Disney Did...In the 1980's section at Pop Century with Pac-Man..
100_0695.JPG

northmusic

Disney Did...In the 1980's section at Pop Century with Pac-Man..
100_0695.JPG
I hear you..., pop century does have some PacMan signage, but I'm talking an entire resort dedicated to video gaming. It could include things like:
- A vintage arcade (complete with a rock-afire explosion band). ;-)
- Platform themed slides by the pool(s).
- Occasional Moba\competition game tournaments.
- Each resort wing could represent a game genre.
- More than enough game related background music for the cafe, pool areas, lobby, etc....
- Of course, lots of signage and themed architecture.
- and much more....

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
ntsc-u.jpg

I'm actually a tad bit surprised that Disney hasn't taken the advantage of a Kingdom Hearts attraction.. Not sure if ANY of you guys have played any of these games, or play games at all for that matter, but those games connect a lot of the Disney movies together and it's VERY unique and cool and interesting! I could see them making a really awesome ride out of it! Not to mention it has a very big fan base and lots of popularity. Just look at the amount of games released:

Kingdom Hearts - PS2
Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memories - Game Boy Advance, PS2
Kingdom Hearts II - PS2
Kingdom Hearts Coded - Mobile Phones, Nintendo DS
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - Nintendo DS
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - PSP
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - Nintendo 3DS
Kingdom Hearts III - PS4, XBox One

And, like the other poster said, Disney owns Tron.

I honestly could see them doing pretty well with a Kingdom Hearts themed land mostly, honestly. Not sure where the heck it would fit, but yep!

morningstar

I think the theming to specific movies, characters, games, etc gets old really fast. For example, the Minecraft coaster might be cool now, but Minecraft is a fad that could become irrelevant and it would need to be updated.

Fine, but you can solve that by not building to the latest fad, but long-surviving franchises, like Mario, Final Fantasy, and Halo.

All the best rides at Disney are not tied to a current movie, game, trend, etc. They are just cool, yet still themed.

I agree, and that's the biggest drawback to a video game theme. Also, Disney does not own too much video game IP, and would have to license or acquire it. I like the idea, though. Is there a way to make a video game attraction that makes reference to video game themes in general, without reference to any specific game. Like they did for Wreck-It Ralph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom