Raising the Prices at Le Cellier

Pioneer Hall

That was my opinion of it as well.

For somone on cash or TIW (me), it was a waste. Really not worth the price and the hype.

For somone on a Dining Plant, at 1 TS it was a solid restaurant and well well well woth the 1 credit.

Now, at 2 credits, they are going to have to step up thier game - a lot. I have said it before, making a place worth 2 credits is VERY difficult. Think about it, a 2 credit place should be TWICE as good as a one credit. While you can take a place and move it from a $35 entree to a $40 entree place fairly easily, it is not easy to move it from $35 to $70, but in essence that is what you are attempting when moving from 1 to 2 credits.

If service in Le Cellier improves, and food presentation is stepped up, then maybe I would not mind paying the new prices. The servers try, they really do, but when you are cramming people in there like cattle in a feed lot, and trying to turn a table in 40 minutes because you are overbooked out the door, there is not much they can do. The kitchen is cranking out food as fast as they can, and I would hazard a guess, pre-cooking a lot, and then firing things at the last minute.

As I said in another thread, the Venison looks interesting.

-dave

I agree that was a big issue, and hopefully something they fix as I stated in my last post. On my last trip I treated myself one night with the Chef's wine tasting dinner at Flying Fish. Not only did I get to speak with the kitchen staff throughout my meal, I saw firsthand how every single menu item was prepared fresh when ordered. Fish was sauteeed, calamari was breaded and fried, and meat was grilled as the orders came in. Like you said, I would venture to guess that with the overcrowding that came over Le Cellier, they precooked a number of items and just "finished" them when they were ordered. This would allow tables to turn over much faster than normal. I sincerely hope that this is the biggest change in the restaurant, because I know that in all my other signature dining experiences my meal has never been rushed.

rainfully

My dad ate there last week.. I felt really bad for him because its one of his favorites and always touts it as one of the best steaks he's ever had... and this particular time it was one of the worst. I don't know if it just happened to be a bad night, but the steak was all gristly and service was seriously lacking. SUCH a shame... so I hope that the quality isn't going down while the price goes up.

I still maintain that they should have a walk-up counter just for the soup. :)

mickey2008.1

I can understand raising the prices if the quality of meats is going to get better, because that is where the major cost is at. Plus making the place a little more open giving you a bit more room would also make it a better signature. They really have to step up their game if they are going to be a California grill type place. I just dont see how the atmosphere will improve to give it that high quality feel. And raising the prices on the sides and soup is ridiculous, its exactly the same, unless they made it better, which i highly doubt, because why would they mess with there famous beer cheese soup?:veryconfu Venison, thats a big risk, as not too many people like venison, or are even open to trying it.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
We feed our dog this...She seems to like it.

natural_balance_venison_dry_dog.jpg

DisneyGigi

I don't see that the price differences are really going to matter that much when you are looking at the total bill. Le Cellier is a great place to eat and when it was a 1 credit on the dining plan it was a great value. ( I mean it cost the same credit as it did to eat at Chef Mickey's :shrug: (a fun festive place but the food is not anything to write home about) It was always worth two credits IMO so now there are more offerings and you are paying for what you get whether it be a few extra dollars or another credit on your dining plan. I just hope that now it will be easier to get reservations!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The most over rated eatery at Disney. Wasnt worth it before, Im sure they will miss my custom as much as I will miss their food.

Pioneer Hall

The most over rated eatery at Disney. Wasnt worth it before, Im sure they will miss my custom as much as I will miss their food.

I completely agree with you that it was incredibly overrated as it was. However, I am always willing to look at something with an open mind and hope that Disney made this place better. I am sure that within the next week or so there will be plenty of reviews for us to judge.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I completely agree with you that it was incredibly overrated as it was. However, I am always willing to look at something with an open mind and hope that Disney made this place better. I am sure that within the next week or so there will be plenty of reviews for us to judge.
You mean we have to wait until we have the facts before we judge? When did this become a rule?:D

plaz10

Disney was smart to do this. It's a popular place that fills up with ADRs every day, every dinner. So of course Disney will raise prices a bit because they know people are hooked on the food (or the hype) and are going to check this place out. Guaranteed if some restaurant that is mildly popular (Kona Cafe, Coral Reef, etc...) began to make the ADR numbers that Le Cellier did - Disney would bump it up to signature to make a few extra bucks off the popularity. Disney is not dumb. They know that when demand is high, give 'em what they want but at a higher cost of course.

I personally have Le Cellier set for lunch in May. I'm not on DDP nor have TiW so it will be 100% out of my pocket. I really enjoyed the steak last May when eating there (mushroom filet) and hope to enjoy it again this May. I'm willing to pay the extra $1.99 added to the lunch price. I am going to miss the cream cheese mashed potatoes...so hopefully they can dig some up for me :slurp:

And if you think the place is overrated, great. But let people make their own judgments about a place. I think Chefs de France is overrated yet people love it. It's pure perception and personal taste when it comes to restaurants. You like what you like.

DisDadWoz

Here's a shocking theory. I'm going to actually TRY the food for dinner when we go in March. I'll make my decision on the change at that point. I liked it before and I may actually not like it after I try it, but we'll see. Was it the best steakhouse before? No, however, I don't feel that Shulas is all that great either. It's MY opinion. There are plenty of other onsite restaurants I will never go back to but others rave about. I just want really good service for my experience as well and LeCellier has never disappointed us in that regard.

yankspy

From that article, it seems like they are using a better grade of beef. I would be willing to pay extra for that.

One thing that no one has touched on is how restaurants have been taking a beating on food prices in the past few years. Many have raised their prices to combat this.

Honestly, it is still competitively priced to any similar restaurant in any big city.

Wilt Dasney

Never been to the place, but I have to say an extra $7 for steak and $2-3 per side, app, or dessert has caused quite the uproar today. It sounds like a couple will be able to eat there for about $20-30 more than they could earlier. I suppose if you're feeding a family it's a little different, but even then we're not talking about serious money. :shrug:

wdwfan4ver

I compared the lunch menu and the dinner menu. It looks like the dinner menu has a different grade of meat than the lunch menu does based on the Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon and the New York Strip steak. The New York Strip steak is matter of fact called Canadian "Prime" New York Strip for dinner now.

The Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon for lunch doesn't have the 8oz Canadian AAA Beef Tenderloin description as the dinner version of Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon. Before LE Cellier turned into signature restaurant for dinner, Le Cellier Mushroom Filet mignon wasn't mentioned as Canadian AAA Beef Tenderloin.

The New York Strip for dinner is now called Canadian "Prime" New York Strip. That meant Le Cellier has a different type of strip steak for the New York Strip compared to lunch menu. Le Cellier didn't have that type of strip steak for the New Strip for dinner before it changed to a signature restaurant.

I will having Le Cellier for lunch on day of my next trip and dinner there on my night on my next trip. I will be comparing the quality of the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet mignon for lunch to "Le Cellier" Mushroom Filet Mignon for dinner. I am on the free dining plan for my next trip.

Phonedave

From the official blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...use-graduates-to-signature-dining-experience/

Perhaps while the menu items stayed somewhat similar, they are using all around better ingredients? That's at least the impression I am getting from the article.

Sorry for all you Canadians - but 100% Canadian beef does not mean anything. There is some EXCELLENT beef in Canada, and there is some garbage in Canada.

Hopefully they are serving excellent Canadian beef, and the reporting in that article just glossed over that fact. It does sound like they are trying to take the dinner menu up a level. I don't know about the price a restaruant pays, but if I want Duck Leg Confit, I am paying about $60 for a can of 6 to 8 legs at my local store. I am sure you can get cheaper stuff, but the point is, it is not cheap, and they now have it on the menu. As opposed to just say "chicken breast".

Maybe I will give it a whirl next time I am at WDW. The problem is, that is a short trip (only 3 nights - we are crusing most of the vacation) and there are other things we wanted to do.

-dave

Pioneer Hall

I compared the lunch menu and the dinner menu. It looks like the dinner menu has a different grade of meat than the lunch menu does based on the Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon and the New York Strip steak. The New York Strip steak is matter of fact called Canadian "Prime" New York Strip for dinner now.

The Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon for lunch doesn't have the 8oz Canadian AAA Beef Tenderloin description as the dinner version of Le Cellier mushroom filet mignon. Before LE Cellier turned into signature restaurant for dinner, Le Cellier Mushroom Filet mignon wasn't mentioned as Canadian AAA Beef Tenderloin.

The New York Strip for dinner is now called Canadian "Prime" New York Strip. That meant Le Cellier has a different type of strip steak for the New York Strip compared to lunch menu. Le Cellier didn't have that type of strip steak for the New Strip for dinner before it changed to a signature restaurant.

I will having Le Cellier for lunch on day of my next trip and dinner there on my night on my next trip. I will be comparing the quality of the Le Cellier Mushroom Filet mignon for lunch to "Le Cellier" Mushroom Filet Mignon for dinner. I am on the free dining plan for my next trip.

Based on the article, it seems that is the case. As would be expected with a signature restaurant, they are seemingly going to use better quality ingredients. I am also sure that service and appearance are going to be a step up as well. If it wasn't for it's overwhelming popularity Disney probably wouldn't bother opening it for lunch like the other signature restaurants. However, when something is bringing in that much cash I suppose they didn't have a choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom