Rainy Days at WDW

David

Original Poster
We have been very fortunate in that it has never rained on us while in the parks. Granted, we usually go on May or October which are not the months with the most rainfull, but I know our luck will run out sometime.

But other than DisneyQuest/ Downtown Disney, what other activities do you do? Do you go to the parks anyway?

(218 days to go!)

Disneyfalcon

We go to the parks anyway. With rain ponchos and an extra pair of dry shoes in the room, it's okay. Last week we were there and it was forecasted and looked like it was going to rain all day on Wednesday. It rained until 8:30 am and then not another drop. Well the MK was empty. Apparently the forecast and grey skies scared everyone off. We didn't wait longer then 10 minutes in any line, most were walk ons. It seems even the off seasons are crowded these days so an empty park was incredible!

tigsmom

We go to the parks. Gotta love those ponchos. :lol:

Last August it rained every afternoon...we were ready for lunch and a break anyway. By the time the rain stopped we were ready to go back out. We only lost one whole day & we just hung around the WL and had fun.

cherrynegra

Go to the parks!! I love going to the parks when it's raining and I encourage others not to be deterred by the rain. It really cuts down on the crowds. Besides, I'll take rainy days over humid hot days anytime.

Dwarful

Well, we head for Epcot if its a really rainy day. There is alot to see and do that is predominately indoors anyway, so take advantage of that! If its a mid day downpour, well, we just put on the ponchos (that we bring from the dollar store) and make the best of it. Funny how some people will wait hours to ride Splash or Kali River and then leave the parks when it rains! Ah well, all the better for us ;)

BG Rugger

I always go to the parks anyway. Rain means shorter lines. Besides, I'm only there a week out of the year. I'm not going to let a little rain ruin the best week I have out of the year!!!

David

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I love the concept if smaller crowds, and my son would love the idea of going in the rain. He'd think of it as just making a fun day more fun.

Seems like I read somewhere that Disney has stopped selling the ponchos, so i would probably bring one from home anyway. Have they stopped selling them?

ogryn

Originally posted by David
Thanks for the replies! I love the concept if smaller crowds, and my son would love the idea of going in the rain. He'd think of it as just making a fun day more fun.

Seems like I read somewhere that Disney has stopped selling the ponchos, so i would probably bring one from home anyway. Have they stopped selling them?

No, they stopped selling the opaque Yellow ones, in favour of transparent ones to make it easier to identify Lost Parents :)

Disneyfalcon

Nope they're still selling the ponchos but now they're clear (they used to be yellow). I usually bring the $1 ponchos from target or walmart and I do reccomend them as a backup. They're tiny, easy to pack and carry around the parks, but they're not very sturdy. We found they ripped VERY easily so they're not great if you're going to have a few days of rain. For an occasional shower they are great though.

I laughed when you said your son would like the rain. Last week we got on big thunder during a lull in the showers on Tuesday night. The wait was 5 minutes so we pretty much walked in and sat down. Well when the train climbed the hill and left the building - we were in a torrential downpour. I was desparately trying to get the hood on my poncho up and it was being blown vertically behind my head. My kids were laughing and screaming at the rain being blown in their faces. When we got off, my son said it was the best ride ever. Different perspectives!:lol:

Lord Alfred

Florida is warm! Don't fear the rain!!

I love it when it rains because the lines are so small. Not only do people leave the park or avoid going altogether, but those who choose to remain will just stand around under shelter and wait for it to stop, as if the whole park shut down or something.

During my last trip, an afternoon storm came through while we were at MK. The rain was a deluge and it lasted for about an hour. People just stood around under the shelters looking at the sky. I on the other hand rode Space Mountain about 6 times in a row with no wait whatsoever. I then rode Buzz Lightyear and TTA several times each as I laughed at the crowds. I was drenched but I had great fun. Being wet just doesn't bother me.

I don't buy ponchos either. I just get wet. I mean, A T-shirt and khaki shorts will dry out in no time. If I did want to keep dry I'd just get a trash bag and cut some holes out.

epcotisbest

Go anyway!!! The parks have a different feel in the rain. If it is really warm, the showers cool things off and make for shorter lines. If there is no lightning and thunder, it is really fun in the rain. We take our own ponchos (also good for the splash zones at SeaWorld) that are a bit heavier and cover more body than the ones you can buy there, but those are ok too.

A couple of times we have just left the ponchos in the room and enjoyed the rain, got completely soaked and had a blast. Some of the indoor stuff that is air-conditioned will get you a bit chilled if you are wet, but, so what. If you get too cold just go out in the warm humid air and warm right back up. Now this does not work in December through about March most of the time, as some days can get chilly.

Ricky

MGMBoy

I go anyway. Granted I'm from Oregon and we all have a natural resistance to rain up here but that's beside the point. :D

Kopp8699

Originally posted by Dwarful
Well, we head for Epcot if its a really rainy day.

Gotta agree w/ u there.... Epcot is good in the rain... I remember when i was little goin on the monorail 2 epcot n lookin over @ horizons and world of motion n all the other attractions w/ no line during the rain..... epcot is the best park when it rains

DigitalDisney

I love it when it rains, so long as there isn't any thunder and lightning in the mix.

In Epcot, you can still do just about everything, even with thunder and lightning. The beauty of Epcot (especially Future World) is that the park is divided into buildings, and within these buildings, there is a lot of stuff to do. You could spend a lot of time in Innoventions. The Test Track post show has a lot to look at. The Land has a ride, a show, a shop, and food. The list goes on and on. The only bad thing is that the entrances to these buildings are somewhat far apart (since the buildings are so large)

The MK in the rain is a blast, because everybody ducks into shops and restaurants, and you can go to rides with little to no wait. MGM is similar.

The only park that stinks in the rain is AK, because all of the animals go into hiding, and there's not much else to do except hang out in Dinoland or go on Kali River Rapids. However, as soon as the rain stops, the animals come back out because it's nice and cool for a little while at least.

wdwmom2+1

WE Usually just keep to plan and go to the parks especially in florida a lot of time therain is on /off :) and nobody likes to go so its usually not busy :)

Scooter

Use the rain to your advantage...

...shorter lines, less people.

I look for women in white tank tops after a good heavy Florida rain.:slurp: :lookaroun :p :lol:

real_ironman

Originally posted by Scooter
Use the rain to your advantage...

...shorter lines, less people.

I look for women in white tank tops after a good heavy Florida rain.:slurp: :lookaroun :p :lol:

(Listening to Family feud in the background) Good Answer, Good Answer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom