Rainforest Cafe/WDW water

JoniTink

On my first trip to WDW I noticed something very strange and I'm sure I'm not the only one.........but WDW has the worst smelling and worst tasting water I believe I have ever experienced. My question is this...........we never made it around to eating at the Rainforest Cafe, but were told by some family members when we got back that they had tried to eat there, but the smell from the water in there was so bad they had to leave. I am not sure which one they were at (downtown disney or animal kingdom), but has anyone ever noticed this?? And.....(since we don't have a Rainforest Cafe anywhere near Alabama)....would you recommend eating there......or somewhere else?? Thanks a bunch!!!!

2much2do

Yeah, at $2.50 a pop!!!!! It would be cheaper to buy one of those travel Brita filter sport bottles! ......................Hey! That's a great idea! I'm gonna do that!!!

Upvote 0

raven

Originally posted by MinnieFan
We call it Monkey Water. Everytime we finish brushing our teeth we say, " Yuck, Monkey Water"!

That is the funniest thing I heard in a long while! :lol:

I've been to the RFC at Downtown Disney twice and never noticed a bad smell or taste. Neither in the resorts. But maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention to the water. I'm there for vacation so I keep my "magical" state of mind the entire time I'm there.

Upvote 0

s25843

Originally posted by Smitty
I have to agree with the water comments but I think I can shed some light on it. Florida traditionally has what is considered to be very "hard" water. Also, it has high levels of a natural form of chlorination. This leads to that chlorine smell. This means that often it will have a different texture to it as it comes out of faucets and shower heads and the like. The reason for the smell and taste is that everywhere in the country treats it water supplies differently. Up here in Mass our water goes through a major treatment process before it can be consumed or used for bathing. (I have to thank my Mother on those facts. She works at a Fluid Testing Lab and runs water and all sorts of other liquid tests all the time.)

Actually our MA Tap Water is pretty darm good... Im on a 300ft Well now though, So I really dont get to try tap much any more.

Upvote 0

s25843

Originally posted by 2much2do
Yeah, at $2.50 a pop!!!!! It would be cheaper to buy one of those travel Brita filter sport bottles! ......................Hey! That's a great idea! I'm gonna do that!!!

Ugghh That Zephyr Hills water made me sooooo sick at WDW, it was just somthing weird in the water... I wasnt complaining much, I actually got it free because we were staying in the Tower Club at the Contemp...

Upvote 0

Tink

Originally posted by 2much2do
Excuse me figmentbaby, but you are very wrong! Manhattan water is the most delicious, crisp clean wonderful water in the country!! In fact, it is typically rated one of the country's top ten year after year by the DEP!

I was thinking the same thing, 2much! Manhattan H2O is the best city water I've ever tasted. That's why bagels and pizza dough tastes better in Manhattan. I personally am very picky about water (I have one of those big old Deer Park water coolers in my house and in my office) but I don't remember any weird smelling or tasting water at either of the Rainforest Cafes. Of course, I am certain I was drinking something other than water so that may be why... :lol:

Upvote 0

GoofyMike29

Try the Water in Philadelphia

I live 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia and the water in the sity is absolutely horrible. It tastes like you are drinking liquid steel. But I have noticed that the water in Disney is weird, but i kind of like it.
And the Rainforest Cafe is amazing, and it does not smell bad???

Upvote 0

PrincessK

My goodness, I never knew how many people from MA were on this board! LOL

The Florida water is highly chlorinated, hence the smell and taste. It reeks havoc on my hair, esp. if I just had it highlighted before I go down there for a trip.

As for the Rainforest, I never noticed a smell at the AK one. I really liked it and I thought it was worth going to and would go again. There is one in MA, but it's in Burlington and that's at least an hour plus drive for me! However...two enthusiastic thumbs up for the Disney one!

Kristin

Upvote 0

FatBoy976

As a Florida resident, I feel I should defend our 'swamp water'. Florida is basically a huge limestone deposit, especially south Florida. That means you have a good deal of porous rock beneath you. All you have to do is dig and you hit water. They do not pump water out of the Everglades so you can drink it. Another point is that I grew up in Miami, only coming to Atlanta for school recently. I go home all the time, and the water is not yellow. I do agree that in Orlando the water smells/tastes funny and that most of Florida has hard water. I think the water in Orlando smells a little like sulfur. That could be the problem, a large sulfor deposit near the source of Orlando's water.

Upvote 0

Bobcat

Rainforest and the water....

Hi all,

Having frequented the Rainforest here (Burlington, Ma) numerous times, and in Florida (both places) I can honestly say that we've never experienced any foul odors or anything that resembled a lousy smell in the water or anything else for that matter.

I will say that we've always enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at the restaurant. Give it a shot the next time you head down, I think you'll enjoy it!

Now, it's funny, I always used to say how lousy the tap water was and I felt like jumping in a pool AFTER I showered to get clean, but I must say the last visit (in December at the Poly) the water was very, very good. Why? I have no idea.

We're heading back in a few weeks, I'll test the waters once again :)

Take care everyone and GO B's!!!!!!

Bobcat

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Every summer I visited my aunt & uncle in Orlando and couldnt believe how awful the tap water was. It has the worst odor and taste to it...used to get me in trouble as a kid because I would refuse to drink it. So its not just Disney water that is bad. We have the water cooler here at home because our city water comes from the mighty Mississippi River...after the flood of '93 I knew I couldnt drink the tap water again....you know something about it seeing cemeteries, farm animals, & entire homes floating away..turns you off of the water! I still am amazed when I see people water skiing, swimming and fishing in it! But to each his own right???

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
As a non-native Floridian, I also do not drink the water! However, you are usually exposed to multiple types of water while in WDW, and other parts of Florida. The tap/shower water is from the aquifer, which (as already stated) is hard water (that's been treated), and also has a slight trace of sulpher in it (hence the "funny smell") The water generally used for watering lawns, fountains, etc. is from shallow wells. It has a lot more sulpher in it, so has a very strong (and to me, unpleasant) smell, and will stain buildings yellow! It appears that most places like WDW treat this water before using it (but not private homes & smaller businesses), but it really isn't potable. Then you have "natural" water sources, like rivers, lakes, and the ocean. They can all vary, from the crystal clear spring fed rivers , to the tannic, brown colored rivers and lakes, like the St. John's and Bay Lake. They also can have varying bacteria, etc. levels, so can possibly make you ill if swallowed, even accidentally. And of course, salt water is never potable in it's natural state.

I don't like the flavor of most tap waters, so always drink bottled. I've also found that the tap water does vary from time to time; sometimes it does smell like I'm showering in poolwater, other days it's not bad. I assume there are many factors influencing this...perhaps you were there during a drought, then came back when water tables were back to normal.

What I'm saying is, you could all be right!! I suspect that sometimes the water does smell/taste bad, and other times you might not notice it!

And I'm sorry about your daughter's reaction! I would not even attempt to speculate on the exact cause!

I will mention that the last time we ate at RF in AK, my daughter had a bad reaction to the rainsticks...I hesitate to say food poisoning, but the timing was correct if you follow my drift! ;)

(and no one else got sick, so it wasn't the water)

Upvote 0

Scooter

Brita makes a Sports Bottle with a filter.

It's not too expensive.

I fill mine up with Ice and Tap water before I head to the parks. It seems to make the water taste a lot better.

I just started bringing by Brita bottle recently. Prior to that I've never had an adverse reaction to the water at Disney World.

Upvote 0

Bairstow

I agree, almost all of the water I've encountered in showers, sinks, and faucets in Central Florida has had a strong taste and smell of sulfur about it. :fork: I'm a big Coke drinker myself, and I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to water as well, having lived in Tennesse next to a river all my life. Funny thing is, the clearest natural water I've ever seen has been in Florida, in the various springs I've been diving in, especially Cypress Springs. Considering how much commercial water bottling is done in the state it's a shame that there's no nice natural source of it on Disney property.

As for the Rainforest Cafe, I've been to the one at Animal Kingdom twice, and I've never noticed any sort of bad sulfury water smell in there. My opinion of the restaurant? It's overpriced for an over-gaudy non-Disney experience, though the food is decent. The barbequed shrimp at the Rainforest Cafe are the best in the world. It's worth at least popping your head inside the joint to check out the fish tanks and some of the third-rate animitronics they have in there, but unless you have twenties to burn and are sick of Artist's Point, wait until you're back home to eat at a Rainforest Cafe.

Upvote 0

The_CEO

Originally posted by Bairstow
I agree, almost all of the water I've encountered in showers, sinks, and faucets in Central Florida has had a strong taste and smell of sulfur about it.
Why were you tasting shower water :lookaroun ... No im just pulling your leg Bairstow..!

~ Justin...

Upvote 0

TURKEY

I've eaten at both Rainforest's at Disney. I don't remember anything being wrong with smells or water.

I thought the water tasted funny when I first drank it. Part of it is that I was so used to drinking Brita water and no tap whatsoever. I didn't drink it anywhere except in the parks and at work at Epcot. I had my own filter and pitcher in my apartment. Once I got used to it, the taste didn't bother me. I never got sick from the tap water that I did drink.

I went to a Rainforest every couple of months when I was down there. There isn't one anywhere near me here at school.

Upvote 0

cobra1562

My family swears that the water and sodas taste bad. Personally I've never had a problem with it. But I would highly recommend Rainforest. I've eaten at the AK and DTD ones many times and they are both great!!:slurp:

Upvote 0

LoriL

I can't speak to the water question, since I don't remember it being a problem (I am going again on the 17th, so I will let you know!) but as far as whether or not you should eat at RC: I think it depends on your family. If you have young children they will probably love the atmosphere. We took our 2 year old son to one near us in NJ to kind of "test" his reaction to the animatronics before we take him to WDW. He liked the elephants but was a little wary of the gorillas and the croc (at first). Don't go for the food-- it's only mediocre in my opinion, and it's fairly expensive, even for lunch. If you've never been to one and you have young kids, try it! The other children in the restaurant seemed to be having a good time and it is a popular place for birthday parties.

Upvote 0

cobra1562

You're probably right about children being wary of the animatronics...i never even thought of that. All of the kids I've seen in the restaurant seem to love it. I guess I'm just a big kid, cause I love it too!! Especially when one of the rainstorms comes roaring through.:)

You're right about the food being mediocre though. However, order the waffle fries with a side of safari sauce and it's a wonderful combination!

I try to get to a rainforest cafe whenever I can. I've been to them all across the US and Canada. I just love the themeing alot! I wish there was one near where I live.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I know exactly what you mean by funny tasting water although I never noticed it in fountain sodas etc. I am from NYC and supposedly we have great tasting water!! But the water in NJ and Long Island both do taste different to me. I associate that smell and taste with Disney also. If you are at all nervouse stop and get bottled water to use for brushing teeth and drinking. Might help a bit. BTW I Love the Rainforest Cafe. Good restaraunt. I have one not too far from me in NJ and I go there when I need a quick Disney fix!! 32 days and counting till P.O Riverside!!:animwink:

Upvote 0

njchris65

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
BTW I Love the Rainforest Cafe. Good restaraunt. I have one not too far from me in NJ and I go there when I need a quick Disney fix!! 32 days and counting till P.O Riverside!!:animwink:

Where is the one in NJ? I only knew of the one in the Palisades Mall (NY state) which closed but I hear is reopening.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom