Quick Question about Forbidden Journey...

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I have not had the opportunity to ride this attraction yet. Video's of it look amazing, however, I am unable to determine what this ride is classified as. Is it a coaster or a ride like Spiderman or a combination of the two? The ride vehicles seem to be on rails like a coaster and some of the scenes seem to be reminiscent of a coaster, but, there were some scenes that seemed to be standing still and it relied strictly on screens like Spiderman. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

Eckert

I have not had the opportunity to ride this attraction yet. Video's of it look amazing, however, I am unable to determine what this ride is classified as. Is it a coaster or a ride like Spiderman or a combination of the two? The ride vehicles seem to be on rails like a coaster and some of the scenes seem to be reminiscent of a coaster, but, there were some scenes that seemed to be standing still and it relied strictly on screens like Spiderman. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks!

Check it out!

Forbidden Journey is a omnimover simulator ride. It travels on rails between physical sets and various screens. The major difference between most simulators in the world is that it's the first to use KUKA Arms as a ride vehicle, which you might be familiar with seeing at EPCOT with Sum of All Thrills (RIP).

1_83.jpg
They allow for much more movement and articulation, which will make it seem like it's moving like a coaster throughout the ride.

I mention that it's an omnimover because while it looks as if it's stopped in front of a screen like Spider-Man, it's actually still moving. Throughout the ride there are what are referred to as "carousels" with individual domed screens for each vehicle that comes into that part of the ride. They look like salad bowls standing up.
fj_benches3.jpg
There are 6 domes for each carousel that allow the vehicles to seamlessly join and leave to transition to the next scene.

It's amazing technology, and Forbidden Journey is easily considered one of the best and most impressive rides in the world because of it.

I hope that answered your question, and if you have any others please let me know! I have a lot of experience with the ride and would love to let you know some more cool stuff about it.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Thank you, that is exactly what I was wanting to know. Now I can envision how it all works. I appreciate you reply. Does the Escape from Gringots the same type of thing, basically?

JoeCamel

Thank you, that is exactly what I was wanting to know. Now I can envision how it all works. I appreciate you reply. Does the Escape from Gringots the same type of thing, basically?

Gringotts is more like Spiderman in that the ride vehicle is on a track and you are in a car on the RV. The track can detach and tilt, the car can be spun to point you towards the screens. Again it is totally new tech in that it combines several more conventional ride techs to create something new.

Do yourself a favor and spend a couple of days at Uni, you will leave with open eyes.

BubbaQuest

You should probably put a spoiler warning on those pictures :)

When riding FJ, its like Spiderman on steroids. The main difference is having your legs, which are dangling, suddenly go over your head. The overall feeling I'd say is more like a super advanced Soarin' -- I know they are vastly different but the execution feels more like you are soaring through an attraction rather than just sitting and riding.

Gringott's is sort of a roller coaster, but executes more like a mine train with spinning cars and stops for large visuals. Much more of a traditional sit and ride.

Now forget everything you read and enjoy it without expectation :)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Gringotts is more like Spiderman in that the ride vehicle is on a track and you are in a car on the RV. The track can detach and tilt, the car can be spun to point you towards the screens. Again it is totally new tech in that it combines several more conventional ride techs to create something new.

Do yourself a favor and spend a couple of days at Uni, you will leave with open eyes.
I'm already very open eyed about Uni. I have enjoyed the place since it opened up. I just didn't get the chance to go there as often. I've been since Forbidden Journey opened, just didn't get to ride it. I have not been since the new section opened though and I am looking forward to seeing it. I already have my two day tickets in my hot little hands. Back a few years ago I did a very long (as usual) essay on the comparisons between the two. And frankly, at the time, Uni was that hands down winner, on originality, theme and Team Member behavior. During that time, if you wanted to be ignored by a CM... Disney was the place to go. Uni's TM's on the other had bent over backward to make sure you were having a good time.

Last edited:

JT3000

During that time, if you wanted to be ignored by a CM... Disney was the place to go.

Unfortunately it still is. I was at Animal Kingdom on Saturday and was amazed by the number of CMs standing around talking to each other like teenagers at a mall, right in front of guests they were supposed to be tending to, many of them audibly complaining about work. But I digress.

Spectro

When we last went in 2014 we also did not get the chance to ride FJ, though we did gringotts. The wait times were 2hours long in September back then. Has it changed much or should we still plan to spend 2 hours in line early September for Harry Potter rides ?

JoeCamel

When we last went in 2014 we also did not get the chance to ride FJ, though we did gringotts. The wait times were 2hours long in September back then. Has it changed much or should we still plan to spend 2 hours in line early September for Harry Potter rides ?

You should not have to spend more than 30 minutes in either line with proper planning. If you get there at 1pm you may have a long wait but it is easy to avoid that. The queues are so detailed I would not want to spend less than 30 minutes getting up to the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom