Questions

Irish Manor

Original Poster
In the process of moving to Florida and would really love to work at Disney World. I really need full time and have worked a lot of positions throughout my life. Most times I worked two to three jobs to support my family. Right now my husband would like to retire and work for Disney part-time but I need full-time for the benefits. Can someone please tell me how much the medical plans cost so I can figure out if this will be possible for us. Thanks and also how hard is it to get full-time. I've worked as a Vetrinarian assistant, dental hygienist, cashier, asst cook for a school system, overnight baker and donut fryer, bank teller and customer service person, walmart overnight stock and cashier,blockbuster asst manager and inventory and cashier,and a cleaner in our church and nursery school for 12 years. Any feedback would be helpful

Dasnowz

right now my understanding is that they are only hiring for part time roles. Just an FYI in case this is true. I was talking to someone who is a new hire last week and they wanted full time but are now wait listed for it in their role.

Part timers do get benefits. The medical is a grey area. there are several different plans however for full time. the premiums become more expensive as the benefit goes up and the co-pay goes down. The part time plan is about $40 a week for medical only for you and a spouse. Dental is another premium and again it varies based on the plan you want but runs about $10 a week. I do not have full time rates in front of me right now and am admitting I am to lazy to find those right now but they are pricey.

Once you are hired you can request to be put on the wait list for full time. The length of time on the list varies job to job. Factors such as those who are already there, cp , etc will all effect how long the wait is.

HTH and give you the info you need. Just be aware that there are caps on part timers working over 24 hours a week that are being enforced right now. I am now part time by choice ( too much stress) and my hours are being kept at 22 per week no more ( happy day!!!). But as a full timer I was able to work about 45 hours a week with options to pick up more hours.

Irish Manor

Original Poster
right now my understanding is that they are only hiring for part time roles. Just an FYI in case this is true. I was talking to someone who is a new hire last week and they wanted full time but are now wait listed for it in their role.

Part timers do get benefits. The medical is a grey area. there are several different plans however for full time. the premiums become more expensive as the benefit goes up and the co-pay goes down. The part time plan is about $40 a week for medical only for you and a spouse. Dental is another premium and again it varies based on the plan you want but runs about $10 a week. I do not have full time rates in front of me right now and am admitting I am to lazy to find those right now but they are pricey.

Once you are hired you can request to be put on the wait list for full time. The length of time on the list varies job to job. Factors such as those who are already there, cp , etc will all effect how long the wait is.

HTH and give you the info you need. Just be aware that there are caps on part timers working over 24 hours a week that are being enforced right now. I am now part time by choice ( too much stress) and my hours are being kept at 22 per week no more ( happy day!!!). But as a full timer I was able to work about 45 hours a week with options to pick up more hours.

Irish Manor

Original Poster
Thanks so much! It is just my husband and I and this way he can move down and retire after I get my benefits. Someone just posted that they got full-time right away so I wasn't sure. I want to apply at the beginning of September. Is this a good time of year to apply? Thanks for the info

Dasnowz

Be aware that it takes several weeks to months to get hired on. The interview will be one day. Then you have your onboarding ( finger printing, and picture for id card, and paperwork ) which can be a week to a month later. Then you have Disney U day ( 8 hours) . Then you have a Once upon a time is now ( 8 hours) class. This is where your actual department will come in at the end of the day and give you your dept. training dates. Then once in the dept. there is usually another day of still being in business attire training. THEN!! you will actually start training. Every dept. has different training lengths so I will not even guess an amount. It takes time and can be frustrating. Disney is always hiring. Right now they are doing massive hiring and have had several hiring Fairs. And training is worked around when you can work and when the trainers can. Also how many new hires they have etc. Training is usually a one on one situation.

So is Sept a good month? well when do you want to start is the real question. take into account the hiring time frame and go from there. Sept. is traditionally a slow month so that needs to be accounted for. Several part timers I know have been told do not plan on working in Sept or Jan. based on WDW needs. Full timers have a guaranteed allotment of hours. Then comes CP. Then comes seasonal. Then regular part timers.

Irish Manor

Original Poster
I figured on moving to florida first then applying that way I can make all the appointments they need me for. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. Is it better to work in the parks or downtown diney? What is the online test like- any trick questions? Do I need a resume'? Also if hired part-time and wait the 3 months for insurance do I have to wait again when I get full-time. Thanks

Dasnowz

parks vs Disney is again a personal thing. I do not work in the park. I work in a support role outside of them. I depends on you. If you work MK in some roles there is an extra few pennies in pay because of stress. The online part is pretty straight forward and easy. You do not need a resume but can submit one. You will still answer all the question about past jobs etc so its up to you. Medical papers come fairly soon after hire. I think about a week or so. I do not think there will be a lapse in time. I have private insurance through retirement so I am not on theirs. I called about dropping a part of my current medical and getting on Disney dental due to them being much more affordable for the same plan I have now and was told no wait time etc...

Irish Manor

Original Poster
parks vs Disney is again a personal thing. I do not work in the park. I work in a support role outside of them. I depends on you. If you work MK in some roles there is an extra few pennies in pay because of stress. The online part is pretty straight forward and easy. You do not need a resume but can submit one. You will still answer all the question about past jobs etc so its up to you. Medical papers come fairly soon after hire. I think about a week or so. I do not think there will be a lapse in time. I have private insurance through retirement so I am not on theirs. I called about dropping a part of my current medical and getting on Disney dental due to them being much more affordable for the same plan I have now and was told no wait time etc...

Irish Manor

Original Poster
Thanks so much! I thought with downtown disney being added onto I might stand a better chance at full- time there but I guess I might be wrong. I just want to work on a ride or in a shop. Thanks for all your help!

Dasnowz

attractions are pretty easy to get. Like realllly easy. So if you want that route it may be quickest. The retail is most often full and people once in those roles do not move on.

Irish Manor

Original Poster
Thanks that helps! Do you ever get full-time with attractions after a while ? What is the Hub that everyone talks about. Do you have to work for Disney to go on it ? I was at the casting center a week ago and they gave me the information to apply. Does it help to know someone that is a supervisor at disney ?

Dasnowz

the hub is the computer system all employees can access. schedules etc are on there. You can request transfers change days off etc... No its doesn't help to know a supervisor. The hiring person will not know who you know. certain hired jobs give back bonuses such as bus driver hires. They go based off your interested and what they talk to you about. yes there is always a way to move to full time. it depends on needs and wait list times. a lot of people want full time and there are so many slots.

Irish Manor

Original Poster
the hub is the computer system all employees can access. schedules etc are on there. You can request transfers change days off etc... No its doesn't help to know a supervisor. The hiring person will not know who you know. certain hired jobs give back bonuses such as bus driver hires. They go based off your interested and what they talk to you about. yes there is always a way to move to full time. it depends on needs and wait list times. a lot of people want full time and there are so many slots.
Thanks you answered a lot of my questions! I hope your stress level goes down. I know what that is like. I used to work 80 hours a week to support my family. 40 hours day shift and 40 hours night shift. No weekends off. At least I only had to work one of the jobs on the weekend though. My kids are all grown now so I think it's time for my husband and I to enjoy life a little. Thanks a lot for your insight and have a great day !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom