Question...

Goofyernmost

I genuinely can't think of anything i was disappointed by! You can't even imagine how perfect it is when you're there.

To prepare yourself, i would watch the Disney planning videos on youtube! They got my super excited before i went! You can also order a free planning dvd from the disney world website!

An older version, but my personal favourite. Still up to date :)

AGREE..the 2005 planning video was the best they ever did. My grandchildren still sit and watch it even though some of it is a little outdated. (Sadly not that much)

Sadly, the ones done since then will put anyone to sleep. I don't remember the year, but, there was one that took place in the clouds and CM talked about the things that they really loved about guests reactions. Man that was awful.

jw24

Hmm..disappointments would lean towards the food. It's hardly Michelin star quality but if you do your research, you can find some really good tasty food. One trip I didn't exactly plan my dining well and I paid the price for it! But for attractions, yeah, the new Jack Sparrow attraction I experienced last March that they added was rather corny and wouldn't do it again.

The most surprising thing I enjoyed that I'd never thought I would enjoy: Well, that's tough. Probably seeing the American Adventure show for the first time on my last trip. I was actually really moved by it. A lot of positive ideals that the USA was built on. Ideals I wish would be brought up more and emphasized more in today's society. Having said that, I'll add Hall of Presidents, too. When 2016 or 2017 comes, they'll add yet another animatronic to the Hall.

Stellajack

Premium Member
In planning the trip to the World for the first time this August, I am trying to prepare myself for anything and everything. Though I know this is impossible, I have a question that will get me closer.

What is the number one thing that you were disappointed about at Disney World and what is the one thing you were most thrilled by unexpectedly?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to reading your replies!

The #1 disappointment for me at Disney is the mob scene following Wishes in Magic Kingdom (hold tightly to your child.)

The #1 unexpected 'thrill' was booking the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party for Wishes. It is awesome and far above the crowd. Tinkerbell flies directly over your head and you feel as if you could touch her. I definitely think the $25/person is worth the railside view and the seating and feast of goodies before, during, and after Wishes.

taranae04

Original Poster
The #1 disappointment for me at Disney is the mob scene following Wishes in Magic Kingdom (hold tightly to your child.)

The #1 unexpected 'thrill' was booking the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party for Wishes. It is awesome and far above the crowd. Tinkerbell flies directly over your head and you feel as if you could touch her. I definitely think the $25/person is worth the railside view and the seating and feast of goodies before, during, and after Wishes.

Is it really only $25/person? I thought it was more than that. I definitely think it would be worth it at that price :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Is it really only $25/person? I thought it was more than that. I definitely think it would be worth it at that price :)

It's $27.99 per adult, and $14.99 per child. It requires prepayment at the time of reservation.

I also believe an 18% automatic gratuity is added.

That being said, me and the Kid will be doing it this trip. It's already booked.

StarWarsGirl

Answer: Having been 42 times and the first trip being when I was 5 months old, I never got the "first trip" vibe of being disappointed or amazed. That being said, last time I went I got to see the Beauty and the Beast area of Fantasyland (had seen Storybook Circus on the previous trip) and was truly amazed over the attention to detail and the similarities to the movie. Five trips ago I got to go on Star Tours for the first time since they redid it. Being a major Star Wars fan (one of the touchy ones that still says Han Solo shot first) I was completely psyched when they redid Star Tours and absolutely was not disappointed. I've been known to ride it 5-10 times a day.

I was disappointed with Test Track and the changes made to that, though since this is your first trip, I think you'll like it just fine; I just don't think it's as good as the original was. That was probably the biggest disappointment ever. I went to Disneyquest last trip for the first time and had an amazing time (can't wait to go back!) and Typhoon Lagoon two trips ago for the first time, and though not as good as Blizzard Beach IMO, I still had a ton of fun.

tongaloosh

The biggest disappointment I've run into is definitely the bus system, especially at the end of the day, and especially, especially if you're staying in a value resort. And you thought the lines for the rides were long!

I always get the biggest thrill from the immersive environment. The magic bubble (as another poster said) really does block out a lot of the annoyances of "real life". And there's just something so special about riding a ride or eating at a themed restaurant or (my personal favorite) watching a fireworks show, looking around, and realizing you and your family are enjoying yourselves and having a great time - together.

BowerFamilyBand

I was talked into going on my honeymoon back in 02. It was not what I expected and had a wonderful time as a couple. What I love now is the wonder I see with my nieces and nephews. I would recommend Chef Mickey to allow the kids to get up close with Mickey, Donald and Goofy.

As far as the other end of the spectrum the only disappointments come when it is my own inconvenience. The ride you are looking forward to is down and you only have that one day in the park. Last time I was there Splash Mountain was broken and not running. It is just something to not focus on and just look at everything else there is to offer.

BiffyClyro

AGREE..the 2005 planning video was the best they ever did. My grandchildren still sit and watch it even though some of it is a little outdated. (Sadly not that much)

Sadly, the ones done since then will put anyone to sleep. I don't remember the year, but, there was one that took place in the clouds and CM talked about the things that they really loved about guests reactions. Man that was awful.
Yeah, the cloud had has been the same with a few very minor changes since 2006. I suppose if you've never been it will be exciting, but 2005 one is the best :)

JillC LI

skip toy story mania no offense to anyone who likes it but its not really a ride to me the queue is kinda tacky and doesnt live up to the disney standards but the mr potato AA is amazing and the best part of the whole attarction.

a surprise was enchanted tales with belle my gf and i didnt part take but it was themed greatly and the kids are adorable and make sure to go through the stand by line at under the sea even if its a hour wait youll never wait that long and even if it was youll never notice. also make sure to take in the small details throughout the park a great thing to do when taking a break and checkout storybook circus its a fun and beautiful area

Funny, I would choose the Toy Story Midway Mania queue over the Under the Sea queue any day of the week. I liked the Under the Sea ride and thought it was well done, but I enjoy TSMM more. That said, I wouldn't wait more than a half hour for any ride so I go at less crowded times and made wise use of FPs.

To the OP I would say that my greatest disappointment was the food at Akershus for dinner (although it was worth going once with the kids for the princess experience). Best surprise was how my kids were so happy all trip that there was no fighting!

stargrl33

Honestly, my biggest disappointment when I'm at Disney is with some of the other guests. The people who show up 5 minutes before the fireworks and STAND in front of where you have been patiently sitting and waiting for 40 minutes. The people who talk, loudly, during pre-shows or rides. The people who take flash pictures in dark rides.

I guess my advice to you would be to just let it be....relax....remember you are at Disney....remove yourself from the situation if you need to!

As for unexpected thrills and surprises, I guess the big one for me would be that there is always something new to do there. Or something that I haven't done before, at least. I still haven't made it to a park opening, for example, so that is on my to-do list for next time!

Soarin2u

The one thing that disappoints me every time, is eating the WDW food, that being said at restaurants and parks. So we usually eat a hardy breakfast at the hotel (offsite) and then as for lunch/dinner a restaurant that we can find. The food is just awful in my opinion. Yet, there are so many people that they have to feed daily, so I can understand in a sense. But as for everything else, I love Disney, usually no disappointments aside from the food.
As for thrilled unexpectedly, our previous trip we got free parking in the park, because we got there way too early due uninformed Disney workers who told us the park would be open 24 hrs into Saturday (Monstrous Summer 24 hr party) they claimed it went into Saturday and closed at night, and the park wasn't open yet, which has never happened to us! But free parking...

I was going to say the same thing. Food, its edible enough but its just nothing that's a five star. It's always the thing that slightly disappoints me. But however some desserts are to die for, so that usually makes up for it. :D

Biggest thrill for me is just simply the magic. It's really what just fulfills the entire trip.
Also Soarin', I always feel infinite on that ride. :)

DisneyJoe

Biggest disappointment - the inefficiency of the bus system

I find this to be a matter of perspective and personal experience. I ride a bus every day to and from work, and I find the Disney buses to be thousands of times MORE efficient than my local bus service. I don't even want to comment on the cleanliness of the buses or the passengers that ride them.

Give me Disney buses any day.

jw24

I find this to be a matter of perspective and personal experience. I ride a bus every day to and from work, and I find the Disney buses to be thousands of times MORE efficient than my local bus service. I don't even want to comment on the cleanliness of the buses or the passengers that ride them.

Give me Disney buses any day.

Agreed. Being that I'm a college student and that having to travel by bus is really the only reasonable means to travel from campus to campus (At least that's the case for my college), I still prefer the Disney buses. One, they don't have drivers who slam the brake pedal very hard constantly. (Though there's a huge difference between only going one stop to another as opposed stopping multiple places.) and that the Disney bus drivers don't idle so much. But above all, I think the people who ride the Disney buses are a billion times more professional than the college students. I swear everytime the bus stops at a bus stop with tons of people, people crowd the area to be close to the bus as possible but barely give enough space for the people to be let off! Trust me, when I have to get off the bus into a crowded bus stop, it's like having to walk through a human maze! Another reason why I loathe my college as I speak.....

Disneykidder

Hmmm. Really good question. It's is really tough to pinpoint many disappointments. I'd like to see more character meals with different characters like Toy Story, Incredibles, Cars, etc., I also didn't like how the value resorts were so loud and crowded. (Don't go there anymore)

Biggest thrills....way to many to list. EVERYTHING from resort themes, food, merchandise selection(although some clothing is quite pricey), fireworks, shows, character interactions...I really could go on.:)

JIMINYCR

Being that this is your first trip, I'll relate my "first trip" Disappointment: How bad the bus transportation was handled at the closing of the parks. :( Standing in line and watching that for every four buses picking up guests at one resort station, my resort station had one bus arrive. I thought I had patience... I am a very patient person. But standing forever and seeing a 4 to 1 ratio of buses pick up guests :mad: tried my patience.
Unexpected Thill: The professional, caring, kind, helpful, hard working CM's found everywhere. In the resort, in the parks, in the stores, any time I encountered a CM, it was a positive, experience. I knew because of this reason we would be back at Disney the next year. Thanks CM's everywhere.;)

billDozer

Funny, I would choose the Toy Story Midway Mania queue over the Under the Sea queue any day of the week. I liked the Under the Sea ride and thought it was well done, but I enjoy TSMM more. That said, I wouldn't wait more than a half hour for any ride so I go at less crowded times and made wise use of FPs.

To the OP I would say that my greatest disappointment was the food at Akershus for dinner (although it was worth going once with the kids for the princess experience). Best surprise was how my kids were so happy all trip that there was no fighting!

i totally get why people like toy story mania and like the queue but to me i feel like it could be done somewhere else (unlike mermaid with all of the hidden things to look at) and TSMM didnt suck me in but thats just me i love potatohead, dr malpractice and the giant view finder cards but the rest including the attraction just wasnt my style.

Alexis

I was going to say the same thing. Food, its edible enough but its just nothing that's a five star. It's always the thing that slightly disappoints me. But however some deserts are to die for, so that usually makes up for it. :D

Biggest thrill for me is just simply the magic. It's really what just fulfills the entire trip.
Also Soarin', I always feel infinite on that ride. :)

I agree! The magic always makes everything better! I don't know, the food is pretty bad so we try to avoid it as much as possible. We ate at a sit down restaurant last trip and it was edible so that's a start. The desserts in the bakery places are delicious though :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom