Question about Disney resorts

fjm777

There are five people in my family, Me, my wife, and three kids (10, 7, 3). When scoping out reservations on the Disney site I only get two resort choices that allow five people. What do others do? Just make a reservation and ignore the four person limit? My 7 year old usually wants to sleep on the floor anyway. And I would like the chance to stay at various resorts without getting two rooms. Anyone else have this problem.

Thanks

polynesiangirl

Technically the value and moderate resorts (with the exception of the trundle beds at one or two? of the Moderates, correct me if I'm wrong here people,) only sleep 4 people and you're not "supposed" to put more than that to a room. The deluxe resorts sleep 5 in a standard room as they usually come with a daybed that one other person can sleep on.

My boyfriend's family always used to go down to Florida with their family of 5, stay at the Caribbean Beach and just say they only had 4 people total when making the reservation - and make sure the whole family wasn't overtly standing around during check-in. Then I believe one kid would just sleep on the floor. Not sure if this is technically "OK", etc etc etc, and *I've* personally never done it, so I don't know what might happen if you were to get "caught" with an extra person, but it always seemed to work out OK for my boyfriend's family, especially when they still had young kids.

Hope this helped to clear up some confusion, I'm sure other people will have words of wisdom as well. :) Happy trip planning!

Upvote 0

AKFreak

I know that at Port Orleans Riverside (will ALWAYS be Dixie Landings) in the Alligator Bayou section, the rooms have trundle beds. The youngest child could easily sleep there. Some rooms at Carribbean Beach have those as well. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

fjm777

Original Poster
I guess my point is that the rooms w/trundle beds are about $20 a night more. And while that not much it is still $20. We could stay at one of the off site hotels for a lot cheaper and they don't care if there are five of us. I just don't see why this would even be an issue.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Children under 3 don't count in the room limit. So it kind of depends on how long your child will have been 3, and how much room they take up. My DD is 3 currenlty, but last week when we were in Vero Beach we had 2 queen size beds and they even gave us 2 bed rails for her. However, given the choice she was more comfortable sleeping in the pack and play.

The rule for DVC is 4 to a stuido and one bedroom and I know many of people on another discussion forem that get very bent out of shape about this. However the offical response from WDW and DVC is they will allow the extra child, but will not be responible for their bedding and towels. (Bring your own if you need it.)

I think since one is 3 it shouldn't matter. As your children grow you might want to get 2 cheaper rooms that are connected. (or is you have tons of cash get a DVC 2 bedroom, but that isn't always possible. We are DVC members and can't aford that!)

Also some resorts (Deluxe or mod) have rooms with suites and other different room configurations, you can ask about this. But the will cost more.

Upvote 0

speck76

I had stayed at Dixie Landings in 1994 (when it was the cheapest hotel, along with PO and CB) and we had 5 ppl in each of two rooms. Nobody said anything to us, but we did not advertise it either.

If you want to be comfortable during your stay, I would not do this...we were a bunch of 18yr olds...and did not really spend much time in the room.

Upvote 0

AKFreak

The rooms with the trundle beds already there don't cost any more than any other room at the resort. I've used the trundle beds before and didn't have any additional charge. When making a reservation at POR, make sure to request a room in the Alligator Bayou section.

Upvote 0

LivefortheMouse

Well u have two choises u either stay at the port orleans river side. OR u can say 2 adults 2 childern then ask for a roll away they wont ask questions to them its mor important to know that u are going to spend extra money in the parks anywys having little kids and all. Oviously dont wave the 5th kid around on there face or anything. Though when u really look at it it might cost u the same to get a roll away than to get a moderate resort. But if its the floor that ur child likes just take him a sleeping bag and thats all.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by fjm777
I guess my point is that the rooms w/trundle beds are about $20 a night more. And while that not much it is still $20. We could stay at one of the off site hotels for a lot cheaper and they don't care if there are five of us. I just don't see why this would even be an issue.

The rooms with trundle beds at POR are the same price as the other moderate resort rooms.

And the reason the rooms have limits on the people, are due to fire regulations. Disney does not come up with the numbers, the fire department does. There can only be so many people in a certain amount of space in order for it to be considered safe if there is a fire.

Upvote 0

fjm777

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyInsider
The rooms with trundle beds at POR are the same price as the other moderate resort rooms.

I just now went to the Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside book your stay page and for the night of Nov 10, 2004...

165.02 Standard View Room w/ Trundle Bed
148.30 Standard View Room

*Offered room rates do not include tax or any costs for selected room options

I am fully intending to be honest and pay what I have to but that does not diminish my frustration. Because we have three kids instead of being the perfect family(two parents - two children), it will cost me. There are several resorts at which we cannot even stay (i.e. All Stars, Pop Century) or without getting an upgraded room (i.e. Widerness Lodge) which costs more BUCK$.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by fjm777
I just now went to the Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside book your stay page and for the night of Nov 10, 2004...

165.02 Standard View Room w/ Trundle Bed
148.30 Standard View Room

*Offered room rates do not include tax or any costs for selected room options

I am fully intending to be honest and pay what I have to but that does not diminish my frustration. Because we have three kids instead of being the perfect family(two parents - two children), it will cost me. There are several resorts at which we cannot even stay (i.e. All Stars, Pop Century) or without getting an upgraded room (i.e. Widerness Lodge) which costs more BUCK$.

That must be a new policy because I have never seen that before. There are a lot of rooms with trundle beds that I find it very interesting the prices would be different.

Upvote 0

imjoyful2

That must be a new policy because I have never seen that before.

No, its not a new policy. We stayed at POR 2 yrs ago, and there would've been a charge then too if we had "used" it. My 3 girls at the time all shared the one double bed, but I was afraid of the littlest falling out, so I pulled the trundle out every night in case she would've fell. I've heard the tip mentioned elsewhere that just book a room in AB section which has the trundle beds already in the room, and bring your own sheet and use the bed but just make sure you tidy it up yourself. Like I said, just passing along something I've read elsewhere :) I have 4 kids myself (ages 4 and under) so it does kinda feel like your getting the short end on inexpensive places to stay at disney when you have more then 2 kids. Good luck planning! :D

Upvote 0

Trishnh

I agree. The rooms in AB have the trundles in them. IF you request one, they charge you. So just ask for a room in AB and don't mention the trundle.

We have the same problem as you--we have 4 kids so we have no choice but to get 2 rooms. It stinks to have to pay for 2 rooms, but that is the price of having more kids I guess!:hammer: :lol:

You could also request a pack & play which is free if your 3 y/o will sleep in it.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I was aware there is an additional charge for the trundle bed of about $15.00 ( plus tax I am sure), but I am not aware if EVERY room in Alligator Bayou has a trundle bed in it!!! Anyone help here?? Belle

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by wannabeBelle
I was aware there is an additional charge for the trundle bed of about $15.00 ( plus tax I am sure), but I am not aware if EVERY room in Alligator Bayou has a trundle bed in it!!! Anyone help here?? Belle

Every room in the Bayou has a trundle bed.

Upvote 0

sabian

My wife and I only stay at disney owned resorts because of the convenience and being in the middle of the magic. BUT, if you have trouble with putting 5 people in a value resort, try staying at one of the hotels in downtown disney. They offer transportation and you are still in the middle of the magic. The holiday inn has excellent rates. Check it out. Plus, you could literally walk to downtown disney from the downtown disney resort hotels......My two cents.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom