Puerto Rico in talks to host permanent pavilion in Epcot by 2017

Admiral01

Premium Member
World Showcase needs representation for South America. Be it Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, whatever - it needs something to represent that diverse and fascinating continent. I'd love to see Greece, but there is a lot of Europe (5 European countries...soon to be 4 European countries and 1 fictional cartoonland). PR would be neat, but North America is pretty well represented (3 countries). Asia has two countries, though India would be a good addition since it is relatively different from Japan and China. Africa has one in Morocco, though Egypt would be a great addition and doesn't break the whole "no equitorial Africa outside Animal Kingdom" thing.

With all the focus on South America in the coming years with the World Cup, the Olympics, etc, someone from SA needs to get a pavilion in World Showcase and have a coming-of-age party of sorts.

It would be neat to see the world of World Showcase showcase more of the world we are getting exposed to.

RayTheFirefly

World Showcase needs representation for South America. Be it Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, whatever - it needs something to represent that diverse and fascinating continent. I'd love to see Greece, but there is a lot of Europe (5 European countries...soon to be 4 European countries and 1 fictional cartoonland). PR would be neat, but North America is pretty well represented (3 countries). Asia has two countries, though India would be a good addition since it is relatively different from Japan and China. Africa has one in Morocco, though Egypt would be a great addition and doesn't break the whole "no equitorial Africa outside Animal Kingdom" thing.

With all the focus on South America in the coming years with the World Cup, the Olympics, etc, someone from SA needs to get a pavilion in World Showcase and have a coming-of-age party of sorts.

It would be neat to see the world of World Showcase showcase more of the world we are getting exposed to.
Chile!!! :D

PlutoHasFleas

While PR is a beautiful conglomerate of cultures, I feel like if they really want to represent the Caribbean, Jamacia would be the way to go. I think it would have a great ROI, as World Showcase is becoming a popular spot for young adults wanting to "drink around the world". A Bob Marley pavillion? Sign me up!

However, I think South America should get some representation in the WS, specifically Brazil and Carnival. You should have heard the pop the Brazilian guy participating in the IJESS got last week. It's like half the amphitheater spoke Portuguese.

dizda

I think that the idea of a Puerto Rico pavilion pops up from time to time but never materializes. As noted, the island's government has no money to sponsor a pavilion and if Disney were willing to pay, we would probably already have more pavilions in World Showcase.

Robbiemoo

I think a Caribbean pavilion would be a great addition to world showcase. Rather than a single country it would be good to have a single pavilion with many smaller nations like the original plans for Africa. If it was a single nation then Cuba would be a great addition to bring some exotic flair to Epcot

lazyboy97o

Who would pay? PR is broke
I think that the idea of a Puerto Rico pavilion pops up from time to time but never materializes. As noted, the island's government has no money to sponsor a pavilion and if Disney were willing to pay, we would probably already have more pavilions in World Showcase.
Government sponsorship is the exception, not the rule at World Showcase.

MaryJaneP

In addition to the sponsorship questions raised above, we also think WS helps those of us who may never leave this country to see other places in the world. Inasmuch as WS already has at least one representative of each continent (less Australia and Antartica) and actually has all three North American countries represented, perhaps it is time to consider cultural expansion. Maybe something like Mongolia, Tibet, India, or Madagascar. We would be interested in visiting those exhibits. Not attractive to the drinking crowd so no fear that these will make the cut.

Cmdr_Crimson

Sure...Hey how about those other propose one's coming up Hmmm?
New-Picture-2.png

Yeahhh Didn't think to far beyond a model of Africa and that's it...

dizda

Government sponsorship is the exception, not the rule at World Showcase.
The article and other sources mention both that there were talks with the island about sponsorship and that corporations would be sought as sponsors. The normal route is corporations but Puerto Rico does not have many big island-based corporations. It seems that Disney (or whoever was actually pushing the PR pavilion idea) may have been hoping for a public-private joint sponsorship. Either way, I do not see the government or corporations writing a check for this.

Last edited:

kpilcher

I saw this article today saying that Disney is talking to Puerto Rico about a Pavillion and that it would cost 100 million or more. Was wondering if anyone else had heard anything?
Source: http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/disney-world-considers-puerto-rico-pavillion-epcot/
I remember that story.
Never in my life has Disney World's media relations division so quickly, thoroughly and completely denied something as 100% not true.
The division's head called me personally on my direct work line and said something like "That's just not ever going to happen."

dizda

I think a Caribbean pavilion would be a great addition to world showcase. Rather than a single country it would be good to have a single pavilion with many smaller nations like the original plans for Africa. If it was a single nation then Cuba would be a great addition to bring some exotic flair to Epcot
A pan-Caribbean pavilion would be great but would it encounter the same problems as the proposed African pavilion? As I recall, it was to feature multiple countries but the countries could not agree on the details for the pavilion. Individual countries may or may not sponsor the pavilion, but I am sure they would be consulted (at least during the planning stages).

Magic Feather

This may have been asked before, but what would happen if this was built, and then a couple years later, the debate finally fell to the side to make the PR a state, would they rebrand it as the Caribbean or just have a pavilion for a state?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom