Proper line etiquette when with a wheelchair?

oakback

Original Poster
My father-in-law will be in a wheelchair when we go to WDW in July. But in total there will be 7 of us and a baby. If we all decide to go on a ride together, what's the property etiquette? My father-in-law and mother-in-law go through the disability access entrance, and the rest of us wait in line? Everyone go together through the disability access? What works best?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Many of the queues allow for wheel chair access. In those that don't the CM's will direct your entire party to the HC entrance. Simply approach the attraction like you normally would and follow the CM's instructions.

oakback

Original Poster
Will do, thanks! I just didn't want to get a nasty impression if our whole party joined him in the alternate entrance.

goofykt

My mother-in-law has RSD and must use a wheelchair when we go to the parks because she's unable to stand or walk for long periods. There were 5 of us, and the castmembers were great and had no problem letting us all through so we could enjoy the ride together (we did this for It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion). It's pretty standard, so no one will think you're "freeloading" if you all use the wheelchair access along with your father-in-law :)

Have fun!

appleset

It really depends on the attraction, but definitely try to stay together as a group as much as possible. The cast members will definitely help you and direct you in this respect; definitely don't sacrifice a good time on the rides because of the glares you might get.

I went in january with my father who is in a wheelchair. People can give me all the dirty looks they want, but until they've spent twelve hours pushing a wheelchair around the Disney parks, I could truly care less. (Especially pushing a wheelchair at Animal Kingdom. YIKES!)

Anyway, you'll get to experience soom cool entries to the rides. Among them are:

- Spaceship Earth (you get to bypass the entire line and go in through a back entrance, which was awesome.)

- Haunted Mansion (they bring you in through a secret passageway by the exit. look for the "dead ringers" on the wall!)

and my personal favorite:

- Test Track (check out what happens to the wheelchair as you board. Intense!)

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip and don't sweat it!

:)

disneynut4u

My dad also uses a wheelchair. We had no problems in lines for rides, but did encounter problems waiting for a bus. After the first 2 rude remarks on 2 different times waiting for a bus, we decided, since there were 7 of us, that my son would wait with my dad on the bus. The rest of us got in line. Dad would wait til we got to the front of the line (letting others go ahead of us so we could be first on the next bus). Then my son & dad would come up to be boarded. It actually wasn't bad to do it that way. On other trips, we did it like normal because there weren't that many of us.

HS0411

Will do, thanks! I just didn't want to get a nasty impression if our whole party joined him in the alternate entrance.

I'll be totally honest with you. My dad has needed a wheelchair at Disney World for as long as I can remember and now my mom uses one too (knee replacement). Expect dirty looks from guests. They are going to happen and with 7 people, its not going to be easy. You just have to brush them aside. My father doesn't look handicapped (he can walk small distances), so we tend to get some looks from guests. Just speak the CM in front of each attraction and just do what they tell you. That's all you really can do!

I_heart_Tigger

My dad also uses a wheelchair. We had no problems in lines for rides, but did encounter problems waiting for a bus. After the first 2 rude remarks on 2 different times waiting for a bus, we decided, since there were 7 of us, that my son would wait with my dad on the bus. The rest of us got in line. Dad would wait til we got to the front of the line (letting others go ahead of us so we could be first on the next bus). Then my son & dad would come up to be boarded. It actually wasn't bad to do it that way. On other trips, we did it like normal because there weren't that many of us.

I am always surprised how people act when there is a wheelchair guest ready to be loaded on a bus. My family ALWAYS steps aside when someone in a wheelchair comes to a bus stop so they can be safely loaded before we get on the bus, but I have seen so many people try to get past that wheelchair so they can get on first.

It's just silly since the bus isn't going anywhere until everyone is on so you'll just be sitting on the bus longer, waiting for the wheelchair to be loaded :brick:

The other thing is that if we are already on the bus and a wheelchair is loaded, if we happen to be in the seat next to the wheelchair area we give up the seat to someone in their party. Just seems like common courtesy to allow someone from their party to sit next to them instead of us taking up all those seats. I never mind standing standing on the bus if I think someone else needs the seat.

Don't be too worried about what anyone else thinks. Just know that most of us are perfectly content to allow people in wheelchairs on the bus first and in a different lineup, it's not like you're cutting in line or holding up anyone for hours. You'll get no dirty looks from me.

I_heart_Tigger

Actually since we're on the topic. The last trip to Disney we saw a young girl (about 10 or 11) in a wheelchair and my neice who was 5 aty the time asked loudly why that girl was in a wheelchair since she doesn't look sick. :eek: We have had relatives you have been quite ill and required wheelchairs so i think that's how she associates it.

My sister and I explained that you can never tell why someone needs a wheelchair but that it usually means that they have difficulty walking or might might not be able to walk at all. Then, of course, she wanted to know why the girl couldn't walk, so we told her that it may be from an accident or an illness and that you just can't tell.

All of this was in earshot of the whole family so I was so embarrassed but what can you do when a kid asks a question like that :shrug: I figured it required some explaination it's just kind of difficult to explain.

Rob562

Regarding wheelchairs and scooters on the buses, I have no problem letting them board first. But I will admit that I do sometimes groan when we encounter either a) a bus driver who is extremely slow in doing what they need to do, and/or b) a guest, usually in a scooter rented from an outside company, doesn't know how to drive the scooter, and takes forever to complete a 47-point-turn to get it backed onto the bus lift or ramp, and then 3 minutes of forward-back-forward-back once it's on the bus....

On the other end of the spectrum, I stand there in awe when I happen to get the combination of a speedy bus driver and an expert scooter driver (almost always their own personal scooter). They can lower the lift, zoom the scooter on at full speed backwards, get it parked and secured, and the whole thing took less than 90 seconds... (the slowest part of the process is usually waiting for the lift itself to raise/lower)

-Rob

kashmir

Regarding wheelchairs and scooters on the buses, I have no problem letting them board first. But I will admit that I do sometimes groan when we encounter either a) a bus driver who is extremely slow in doing what they need to do, and/or b) a guest, usually in a scooter rented from an outside company, doesn't know how to drive the scooter, and takes forever to complete a 47-point-turn to get it backed onto the bus lift or ramp, and then 3 minutes of forward-back-forward-back once it's on the bus....

On the other end of the spectrum, I stand there in awe when I happen to get the combination of a speedy bus driver and an expert scooter driver (almost always their own personal scooter). They can lower the lift, zoom the scooter on at full speed backwards, get it parked and secured, and the whole thing took less than 90 seconds... (the slowest part of the process is usually waiting for the lift itself to raise/lower)

-Rob
I'm afraid you will encounter the new rental situation b/c you are at Disney where these scooters are rented...I do understand you are being reasonable in your explanation, but not everyone can be immediately adept. I frame it this way: if I were in their situation, how would I want bystanders to react? Then I do my best to be my best!

DisneyMom4

One thing I would suggest since you are traveling to WDW in July is to consider taking a very lightweight sheet or towel to cover your FILs upper legs. The sun can be very intense at this time of year and your thighs will take the brunt of it.

Also, consider stopping by Guest Relations for a Guest Assistance Card if there is any other need your FIL has other than mobility assistance. I would be more than happy to share further details on the GAC if you need them.

Have a great trip!

jen2009

When I went in March, my mom had just had knee surgery 3 weeks prior and we got her a wheel chair. There were a few rides that she could do and we went through the handicap entrance. We had a party size of about 10-14 people given the day. They let us all go to stay together as a group.

I would not worry what others think. If they were in the same situation they would go with using the handicap entrance as well.

Go and enjoy Disney with the family!!!:)

TinkerbellK

technically, the max number of people who are allowed to acompany a wheelchair through a non-standard entrance is 5 (for a total of 6). However, often larger groups have no problems! I just thought you should know in case there was a problem ever!

second, almost all lines are mainstreamed, so you and your FIL and the whole group get to wait in the normal line. sometimes you will wait in the normal line and then be pulled off at a certain point (like at stairs). occassionally you will go in an exit.

some people report being sent through the fastpass line simply because they have a wheelchair. I have been to disney 3 times with a standard manual chair, and I can tell you that has NEVER happened to me, so do not plan on it. just a friendly heads up

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom