Princess Fairytale Hall First Impressions

KevinYee

Original Poster
I was able to preview the Princess Fairytale Hall on Friday night (note 1: it was not a 'soft opening' and the scheduled opening date is still Sept 18) (note 2: I was part of the DisneyParks blog meet up that got us free admission to the Halloween party, this preview of the Hall, and Glow with the Show Mickey ears).

My first impressions are positive. It's a stately place that is vastly better than the current meet and greet zone for Princesses in Town Square. To the extent there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of families wanting this kind of princess interaction every day in the Magic Kingdom, this will be seen as a welcome addition.

The controversy about removing a ride for this, though, is unlikely to die away anytime soon. There is nothing supernaturally original in this experience - no giant OOH moment of technology like in Maurice's cottage - so I suspect those who preferred a ride will not find reason to change their minds once they see it.

I did notice several little touches:

1. The painting of Tiana includes not only Ray, but a companion firefly. Evangeline? Wishes do come true here?
  2. The walls are plastered with Eyvind Earle art - backgrounds from the original movie.
  3. The meeting rooms have wallpaper with slippers (Cinderella side) or a rose (Aurora side). EDIT - this is actually the Rapunzel side. Yes, this experience is like Mr. Toad (Orlando) or the Matterhorn--you stand in one line to see half of it. If you want to see the other half, you stand in the other line also.
  4. The bookends from Cinderella are here in the meeting rooms
  5. Many Disney movies are named in those book, including the Snow Queen
  6. The "Frog King" is given here with the wrong German. It reads "Kiss the Frog" if translated, which is NOT the Grimms' title.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Aurora side? Not Rapunzel?

I was charmed by some of the detailing that went into this, but one the whole remain a bit reserved. I shared my impressions in the proper thread ( :p ) although obviously I haven't seen the Hall for real yet. ME I'M NOT FOR SALE I WON'T BE BOUGHT FOR GLOWING MICKEY EARS AND SOME SNACKS.

...also, I live ten thousand kilometers away

I can't deny, there are some gorgeous details there. I'd buy that bureau bookcase Cinderella's writing on for my own house! :geek: :hungry:
But is that bureau bookcase in the fairytale hall, or is she just sitting in a makeshift boudoir for the video? Perhaps at an antique shop, or a movie prop department?

The mosaic floor is great, a nice nod to the mosaic murals in the castle. I remain enamoured by the stained glass windows. The books with the fairytales in their original French and German titles are fantastic. That's three classic, old skool design homeruns!

Some of the details border on kitch, but soit, this is Disney. Overall, this is a far cry from the onslaught of cheapskate, mediocre WDW Starbucks design!

Still, strangely, the place still looks empty. Devoid of sense or purpose. I echo previous comments, there is something distinctly 'meh' about it, something that makes it feel like a waiting room. (The cynic would say that is so because it IS a waiting room). Even if I set aside my frustration at WDW demolishing a cherished dark ride for a m&g, something feels emotionally empty about this place. But I don't know what, I can't quite put my finger on it. I need to give it some thought.

The Visionary Soul

Wait, what? How sloppy!

Aurora has the thorny rose. Rapunzel the golden flower. Both flowers play key roles in the stories, you can not swap one for the other.
Well, that's exactly what they did. Remember, Rapunzel wasn't supposed to be part of this project at all. She was supposed to get her own meet and greet with Flynn over near her new magically delicious restrooms. But yes, the space where Rapunzel "always" is now was intended to "always" house Aurora.

The Empress Lilly

Well, that's exactly what they did. Remember, Rapunzel wasn't supposed to be part of this project at all. She was supposed to get her own meet and greet with Flynn over near her new magically delicious restrooms. But yes, the space where Rapunzel "always" is now was intended to "always" house Aurora.
Pfffttt...

Amateurs. What's next, One Ring To Rule Them All in a display in Hogwarth's Castle? Oh wait, that's UNI, they pay attention to detail.

To use a phrase from our OP, this is sheer Rizzo-fication of WDW. 'They're tourists, what do they know?'

Clamman73

Do you choose which half you go see as you enter, or does a CM direct you to one side or the other when you get more inside the building like in Space Mountain?

Sped2424

Both sides, and I gotta say I am a little disappointed. I expected something way more well magical than this experience, the concept art waiting room looked far more appealing than the final standby que. I can understand why they got rid of the original idea of each princess having their own personalized backdrop but even so to take out an attraction and just put in a meet and greet, you would expect the meet and greet to be on a caliber that justified its existence. This to me doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

WDWFanDave

I was able to preview the Princess Fairytale Hall on Friday night (note 1: it was not a 'soft opening' and the scheduled opening date is still Sept 18) (note 2: I was part of the DisneyParks blog meet up that got us free admission to the Halloween party, this preview of the Hall, and Glow with the Show Mickey ears).

My first impressions are positive. It's a stately place that is vastly better than the current meet and greet zone for Princesses in Town Square. To the extent there are literally hundreds (thousands?) of families wanting this kind of princess interaction every day in the Magic Kingdom, this will be seen as a welcome addition.

The controversy about removing a ride for this, though, is unlikely to die away anytime soon. There is nothing supernaturally original in this experience - no giant OOH moment of technology like in Maurice's cottage - so I suspect those who preferred a ride will not find reason to change their minds once they see it.

I did notice several little touches:

1. The painting of Tiana includes not only Ray, but a companion firefly. Evangeline? Wishes do come true here?
  2. The walls are plastered with Eyvind Earle art - backgrounds from the original movie.
  3. The meeting rooms have wallpaper with slippers (Cinderella side) or a rose (Aurora side). EDIT - this is actually the Rapunzel side. Yes, this experience is like Mr. Toad (Orlando) or the Matterhorn--you stand in one line to see half of it. If you want to see the other half, you stand in the other line also.
  4. The bookends from Cinderella are here in the meeting rooms
  5. Many Disney movies are named in those book, including the Snow Queen
  6. The "Frog King" is given here with the wrong German. It reads "Kiss the Frog" if translated, which is NOT the Grimms' title.
Kevin, thanks for sharing this here. We are looking forward to seeing it in person.
I just wanted to add a quick note about the choice they made to replace a ride with this. My own very unscientific and biased survey...I asked my 6 (almost 7) year old daughter if she had to decide between having a new, ultra beautiful, amazing 'fairytale hall' in which to meet her favorite princesses, or a new ride in Fantasyland in that spot, which she would choose.
She didn't miss a beat...said the princesses should just stay where they are and let's have a new ride. Then I told her what they'd actually done. She wants to see it, but it isn't a 'trip will be ruined if we don't make it' like many of the rides we enjoy.
I'll hold full judgment until I see it in person, but from the video footage and this & other reports...

A1st

Ok I have a favor to ask, since I won't be in Disney World anytime soon :(, can someone please go inside and ask Snow White (If she's there) about closing the dark ride? Or just about the ride in general? I would love to see what she's been told to say since disney has probably thought that someone will ask! (Also, a video would be great, but if you can't, I understand!)

alissafalco

Ok I have a favor to ask, since I won't be in Disney World anytime soon :(, can someone please go inside and ask Snow White (If she's there) about closing the dark ride? Or just about the ride in general? I would love to see what she's been told to say since disney has probably thought that someone will ask! (Also, a video would be great, but if you can't, I understand!)
She'll probably just say go see my new ride.

MickeyPeace

@KevinYee Why do you think TDO started including you on the free gift list recently? I remember reading in your column that they always excluded you.
Keep giving honest opinionated reviews . Don't lose your integrity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom