Pre-Trip Princess 5k for My 50th!

Hello @Doc Disney, @Longers and my fellow Disney lovers!

After a year of dreaming and wishing I am happy to announce that my sister and I will be celebrating my 50th birthday by running the 2016 Princess 5k at Walt Disney World :happy:!! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!

The Cast:

Me (Lisa) and my sister Tina
This picture was taken on Christmas Day 2014. Tina's Jasmine crown was a gift from me.
This will be my 9th trip and Tina's 7th.

When:
February 17-22, 2016

Where:
Disney's Polynesian Village

What:
5 day Magic Your Way with Park Hopper
Disney Dining Plan
Using the DDP is a first for me. Not sure if I will like it, but we kept thinking of table service restaurants we wanted to try. We figured this was the best way to do it.

Why?

We need some Disney Magic and I am turning 50!

Here's how it happened:
About a year ago, Tina mentioned that we should do something special for my 50th birthday. Something fun that involved just the two of us. Disney freak that I am, my first thought was Disney World! Tina loves Disney as much as I do so she was game.
Inspired by runDisney Trip Reports, I mentioned that I had learned about events where people ran through WDW and even though I am not a runner I really wanted to try it. Tina has run several 5k races so she thought it might be fun. I walk a lot, but I was worried that because I am not a runner I might not be able to do it. Encouraged by Tina and several forum members (@Doc Disney, @Longers and @Ariel484 ) we decided that we should give it a try.
Naturally, I went into full Disney planning mode! I presented Tina with a list of resorts we might want to try and created tentative touring plans. We ranked our resort choices and decided that because we would be flying down and relying on Disney transportation, staying at a monorail resort would make transportation easier. Tina had stayed at the Poly and loved it. I love dole whip so I was sold!! We started saving and thinking about training.
Fast forward to spring 2015. The weather was finally warming up and it was time to begin walking and getting in shape so that I would be able to conquer my first 5k.
Then stress and sadness happened. Our mom has dementia and our dad has been her primary care giver. In mid-April Mom had to have emergency surgery. At the end of April our dad had a drastic and sudden loss of his short term memory. Our first thought was that he'd had a stroke, but that was ruled out. Tina and I took turns staying with and caring for our parents 24/7. Our dad's condition worsened and we searched for answers from the medical community, eventually consulting 10 doctors. He was diagnosed with rapid onset dementia. Dad's condition deteriorated rapidly and after a five day stay in hospice our father passed away on June 30 :cry:.
I honestly don't know what I would have done without Tina. Throughout it all we were a team. Now our trip has become more than just a celebration of my birthday. It's a celebration of our bond as sisters, a time for healing and a time for happiness.

The (Very Tentative) Plan:
We've never been to WDW during February, so any tips or feedback are welcomed and appreciated. I am especially concerned about timing because the parks close earlier this time of year. I know crowds are lower this time of year, but I know that the Princess Half Marathon Weekend is a big draw.

Wednesday, February 17

Evening flight to Orlando
Magical Express to the Poly
(Question: Our dining plan starts today, correct?)
No ADR since we are not yet sure when we will arrive and we want to save one TS credit for later in the week.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Rope drop at Animal Kingdom (no FastPass+)
Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari, Dinosaur (Tina's never ridden it), and Kali (If it is warm enough)

Dole Whips with Coconut Rum :inlove:
Lunch-CS, maybe Flame Tree or Yak & Yeti? Not sure yet.
Bus to ESPN World of Sports for the Expo and Packet Pick Up
Question: Does anyone know the Expo hours? How long will this process take?
Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios

Hopefully get FP+ for Toy Story Mania (Tina's never ridden it) and Tower of Terror. Single Rider for Rock n Roller Coaster

Fantasmic dinner package at Mama Melrose (I'm not seeing Fantasmic on the the calendar right now, so not sure if it will be happening or not.)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Princess 5k!!!
Quick trip back to the Poly for a shower
Epcot
We are hoping for FP+ for Soarin (New to Tina) & Test Track (New to Tina). Will probably fill in with Spaceship Earth.
Eat and drink around the World
Our dad was born in Germany and came to the USA when he was 16. We are planning to honor him in some way when we are in Germany.

This is one of our favorite photos of us with our dad.
Table Service ADR? Biergarten in honor of our dad? Will we be too full? Not sure what time the race will be over and how fast we will get back to the park, etc. Can we make it around the world with shorter park hours?
Illuminations

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Taxi to Rope Drop at Universal
2 Park One Day Ticket
We both love Harry Potter so this is a must! I've been to Hogsmeade, but Tina hasn't experienced Wizarding World at all.
Diagon Alley
Lunch at Leaky Cauldron or Three Broomsticks
Hogsmeade
Possible dinner ADR at Cali Grill
Neither of us have ever been here. Would love to watch the fireworks.
Question:What time should I try for so we can eat and watch fireworks?

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Rope Drop at MK
Hopefully we will get FP+ for 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Other must do rides will be Splash ( If it's not being refurbished or if it is not too cold), Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Tina has never seen the Tangled rest rooms so we have to stop there :).
CS Lunch. Not sure where. BOG Lunch if we can't get a dinner ADR?
Festival of Fantasy Parade ( I only saw part of it last summer)

Possible dinner ADR at Be Our Guest or ??
I've been here for lunch, but not dinner. Tina hasn't been here at all. I want to meet the Beast!!
Main Street Electical Parade
Wishes (my favorite WDW fireworks)

Monday, February 22, 2016
Breakfast at Kona? Tonga Toast!!!!
More time at MK?
Depends on our flight time and Unmagical Express departure:(

We keep thinking of new restaurants to try so our ADRs may change quite a bit in the next few days. Restaurants in the running are Biergarten, Sanaa, O'Hana, Via Napoli, Les Chef de France….

We'd love to work in a massage at the Grand Floridian Spa, any suggestions on timing? I have NO IDEA how crowded parks will be and how much we can accomplish during shortened park hours.

Hope you enjoyed reading about our plans. I will keep you posted as our plans develop.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
My condolences about your father. Honoring him at WDW is a great way to celebrate the love and memories.

As far as visiting in February, its quite pleasant, (at least in our experiences). The weather goes up and down a bit but nothing too dramatic. Wearing light layers helps because it can be chilly in the morning (especially for rope drop time) but as it warms up by early afternoon you can just take that top layer off and be good. I usually wear a very light sweatshirt or wind breaker thats easy to fold up and put in our backpack. Staying at the Poly will make it easy to hit your room and change if need be. Wife and I have experienced days that were cold in the morning but by afternoon I needed to hit the room and put on shorts and a t shirt because it got so warm.

The parks closing early were a concern for us as well but all was good for our trip because crowd levels really thin out in late January/early February so you should be able to get a good bit done in the day time. We have been there during marathon weekends and while they are a big draw, it hasnt ever affected our plans in any major way. I always enjoy coffee in the AM and watching all the marathoners taking jogs around the resort to stay prepared for the race. Im an avid runner but dont do marathons for certain reasons all though I must say that seeing the runners at Disney gives me a bit of an urge to experience one. The ONLY marathon I would ever want to do would be a Disney one. I cant wait to read about your experience. Best of luck and keep up that training! I'll be following along.

Thanks for your condolences.
The tips for WDW in February are great. I always go in the summer, so I am clueless about February weather in Orlando!
So pleased to hear about the lower crowd levels. We always want to do so much and there is never enough time. The shorter park hours have been stressing me out, but your info helps lower the stress levels a bit.
I have never been a runner, but I read several trip reports where people ran in runDisney events. Everyone looked like they were having a great time. I wanted a bit of a challenge so I figured this was it. Disney is the only thing that can get me to run. I will definitely keep up the training. Happy to have you following along.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hiya
How is the training going? Wondered how you were finding it!

Hi! Training is going okay. I am not progressing as fast I would like. Have to keep reminding myself to be patient and push myself enough, but not too much so that I end up hurt. My times are improving, so I have to keep that in mind and keep plugging away! Thanks for checking in, getting ready to update my report right now.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hi Everyone! Update time :D! We made our ADRs two weeks ago and I can't believe that I am just now getting around to posting this.

Our window for booking dining reservations opened on August 22. I was chomping at the bit to book as soon as online reservations opened, but Tina and I couldn't get together until the 23rd and we wanted to be together when we booked. I was having a panic attack that we wouldn't be able to get our most wanted ADRs at BOG and California Grill……….Wondering how we did? Here you go!

Thursday, February 18

At least one of these will change.
11:00 Lunch at Yak & Yeti
5:15 Hollywood Brown Derby
We are starting the day at AK and then hopping to HS. We wanted to do the Fantasmic Dining Package at Mama Melrose's, but Fantasmic is not on the calendar at all in February:confused: and the dining package was not available. We couldn't get a lunch or dinner ADR at Mama Melrose's. I haven't spent much time on the forums lately so I am not sure if this is related to the changes for Star Wars Land or Toy Story Land. We are sad about this though because Tina has never seen Fantasmic and she really likes Mama Melrose's. We went ahead and made an ADR for Brown Derby and hope that if they do run Fantasmic we can switch to the dining package. If Fantasmic is not running, we will cancel Brown Derby because we don't want to spend 2 credits. If we cancel Brown Derby, we will keep Yak & Yeti.

Friday, February 19
1:00 Biergarten Restaurant
Neither of us has ever eaten here. Our dad was born in Germany, so we want to eat here in honor of him.

Saturday, February 20
7:00 California Grill
We are very excited about this! This is new for both of us as well. Can't wait to wait to watch Wishes from atop the Contemporary!

Sunday, February 21
4:50 Be Our Guest!!!!!!!!
:) This was the ADR we most wanted and I still can't believe we got it! I was able to eat lunch here in 2014, but haven't had dinner here. Tina has never been here at all. I can't wait for her to see it.

Monday, February 22
8:35 am Kona Cafe
LOVE the Tonga Toast and Macadamia Nut Pancakes from here.
We will need something delicious to chase away the blues before boarding the Unmagical Express for the trip home :cry:

We are extremely happy with our plans. Most of the choices are new to at least one of us.

We decided on outfits to wear for the Princess 5k, but you will have to wait until the TR to see the pictures :). We decided to go with a "sister" theme. We found some really cute sparkly snowflake shirts that say 'Sisterhood'. My shirt is a light turquoise and I will wear a sparkly white running skirt and a sparkly turquoise visor. Tina's shirt is black and her skirt and visor are sparkly turquoise. I have Elsa's crown, which would look great with my outfit, but I don't think it will stay on my head while I run :(. Guess I'll just wear it around the park afterward. We are really happy with our outfits.

Now we feel like the trip is officially on! Only 166 days to go!

Longers

Hi! Training is going okay. I am not progressing as fast I would like. Have to keep reminding myself to be patient and push myself enough, but not too much so that I end up hurt. My times are improving, so I have to keep that in mind and keep plugging away! Thanks for checking in, getting ready to update my report right now.
Don't worry it is a slow process or it was for me as I am a fitness phobe! ): There were times I wondered why I had signed up but I got there and so will you. There is nothing quite like running around Disney. Not sure if you listen to music while you run but in the end that's how I got better! You will do it and will have a nice Disney medal to add to your souvenir collection.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Mama Melrose always seems to be delayed in releasing ADRs. It was a good 6-8 weeks after our 180 day mark that we were finally able to book dinner for our December trip.

My DD is running the Glass Slipper Challenge (Enchanted 10k on Saturday, Princess Half on Sunday) and our dates align with yours! Got the ADRs we wanted as well...may modify once Skipper's Canteen opens, though.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Don't worry it is a slow process or it was for me as I am a fitness phobe! ): There were times I wondered why I had signed up but I got there and so will you. There is nothing quite like running around Disney. Not sure if you listen to music while you run but in the end that's how I got better! You will do it and will have a nice Disney medal to add to your souvenir collection.

Thanks for the encouragement! I have been listening to music while I run. I've noticed there are several songs that really keep my going, so I think I will create a play list of those songs to keep me moving at a good pace. Some days the thought of wearing that medal is the only thing that keeps me running!

Mama Melrose always seems to be delayed in releasing ADRs. It was a good 6-8 weeks after our 180 day mark that we were finally able to book dinner for our December trip.

My DD is running the Glass Slipper Challenge (Enchanted 10k on Saturday, Princess Half on Sunday) and our dates align with yours! Got the ADRs we wanted as well...may modify once Skipper's Canteen opens, though.

Good to know about Mama Melrose. We will keep checking back. Happy to hear that your ADRs worked out as well! Which restaurants did you choose? Where are you and your daughter staying? It's so exciting to know that other forum members will be there at the same time. I know you love the poly. We requested a theme park view. Do you have any recommendations on rooms with the best theme park views? Thought we might put in a request when we do online check in.

Bobs87

Hi LisaBelle,
We are in Disney from February 13th to 20th 2016 but we aren't running. We have done the DDP for our last few trips and we feel it's made us dine in places we wouldn't have neccessarily dined at before and has been a great addition to our vacation package. One thing to note (you may already be aware but thought I'd mention) is that some reservations are classed as signature dining table services and take two credits from your dining plan. I know California grill is one of these! The dining section on wdw Magic lets you know how many credits each restaurant is worth.
Happy planning
Bobs x

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Good to know about Mama Melrose. We will keep checking back. Happy to hear that your ADRs worked out as well! Which restaurants did you choose? Where are you and your daughter staying? It's so exciting to know that other forum members will be there at the same time. I know you love the poly. We requested a theme park view. Do you have any recommendations on rooms with the best theme park views? Thought we might put in a request when we do online check in.
@TrolleyFollower91 and I will be staying at Pop. She said it is the best budget-friendly location for getting to WWOS and the races. She also chose our ADRs ~ San Angel Inn, Via Napoli, 1900 Park Fare, Be Our Guest and The Plaza.

My recommendation of longhouse with the best theme park views? Third floor Tuvalu, of course ;) :happy:.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hi LisaBelle,
We are in Disney from February 13th to 20th 2016 but we aren't running. We have done the DDP for our last few trips and we feel it's made us dine in places we wouldn't have neccessarily dined at before and has been a great addition to our vacation package. One thing to note (you may already be aware but thought I'd mention) is that some reservations are classed as signature dining table services and take two credits from your dining plan. I know California grill is one of these! The dining section on wdw Magic lets you know how many credits each restaurant is worth.
Happy planning
Bobs x
It's cool that you will be at WDW the same time we are there. Where are you staying?
Thanks for the dining plan tips. I did know about the signature restaurants, but appreciate you letting me know in case I wasn't aware. Having the dining plan does make you a bit more willing to try new restaurants. Now the problem is that I have so many I want to try I can't fit them all in. Oh well, more places to try next time.

@TrolleyFollower91 and I will be staying at Pop. She said it is the best budget-friendly location for getting to WWOS and the races. She also chose our ADRs ~ San Angel Inn, Via Napoli, 1900 Park Fare, Be Our Guest and The Plaza.

My recommendation of longhouse with the best theme park views? Third floor Tuvalu, of course ;) :happy:.

Pop looks like a fun resort! Via Napoli and The Plaza were on our list of places we wanted to try, but we had more restaurants on our list than days of our trip! Plus we were lucky and got ADRs we were afraid we wouldn't be able to get. Oh well, guess we'll have to go back.
I had a feeling you'd recommend Tuvalu ;) Didn't know if the new DVC bungalows impacted the views from there!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I had a feeling you'd recommend Tuvalu ;) Didn't know if the new DVC bungalows impacted the views from there!
Tuvalu is on the other side of the marina so there is no obstruction from the bungalows. And since the building is so close to the lagoon, on the 3rd floor you cannot see ground but only water ~ feels like you are on a boat.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Tuvalu is on the other side of the marina so there is no obstruction from the bungalows. And since the building is so close to the lagoon, on the 3rd floor you cannot see ground but only water ~ feels like you are on a boat.
Sounds fantastic!! Hope it works out for us to stay there. :)

Doc Disney

Yay!!!! I'm so excited you got both California Grill and Be Our Guest! Definitely two of my favorites. Are you using a specific program for training?

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Yay!!!! I'm so excited you got both California Grill and Be Our Guest! Definitely two of my favorites. Are you using a specific program for training?

I couldn't believe our luck! I fully expected to be trolling for ADRs for BOG for weeks. Hopefully our luck will hold for FP+ selection, too!

I am using the Couch to 5k program. It is designed to get you ready in 2 months. I am taking it slower because I have never been a runner, am old and out of shape, and have a little bit of extra time. I am trying to push myself enough to improve, but not so much that I get hurt and can't run in the race. That would be devastating! My other problem is consistency. It has been really hard to train because my daughter is on the varsity volleyball team and I have to run her back and and forth to practice and cheer for her at all the games! Plus I am teaching all day, dealing with my dad's estate and I am spending lots of time driving to see my mom in the memory care facility. I really want to do this, so I keep chipping away. I can keep from being swept even if I only run for a few minutes but would like to run more than walk. Any advice?

Doc Disney

I couldn't believe our luck! I fully expected to be trolling for ADRs for BOG for weeks. Hopefully our luck will hold for FP+ selection, too!

I am using the Couch to 5k program. It is designed to get you ready in 2 months. I am taking it slower because I have never been a runner, am old and out of shape, and have a little bit of extra time. I am trying to push myself enough to improve, but not so much that I get hurt and can't run in the race. That would be devastating! My other problem is consistency. It has been really hard to train because my daughter is on the varsity volleyball team and I have to run her back and and forth to practice and cheer for her at all the games! Plus I am teaching all day, dealing with my dad's estate and I am spending lots of time driving to see my mom in the memory care facility. I really want to do this, so I keep chipping away. I can keep from being swept even if I only run for a few minutes but would like to run more than walk. Any advice?

That program is really good I've heard!! I would say just take it slow like you have...what is the pace requirement? Even if you could get yourself to walk the pace requirement any extra running would push you ahead of the balloon ladies! No shame in walking at all I just did a half marathon on Sunday and walked most of it :) You still have lots of time too! Keep up the good work!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
That program is really good I've heard!! I would say just take it slow like you have...what is the pace requirement? Even if you could get yourself to walk the pace requirement any extra running would push you ahead of the balloon ladies! No shame in walking at all I just did a half marathon on Sunday and walked most of it :) You still have lots of time too! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement :). The pace requirement is 16 minutes per mile. I can definitely walk the pace requirement. When I do a combination of running and walking (which is how the Couch to 5k program works) I am usually between 14.5 and 15 minutes and that is with only short periods of running and longer periods of walking. So, I should be fine even without much improvement. My sister runs regularly and can run at a much faster pace. She said she will stay with me so we can run together, but I don't want to hold her back too much. I'd also like to have time for character photos if they have them on the 5k course!

ScarletBegonias

Following along!
So sorry about your Father. :(

I am a runner, and you're right. You have PLENTY of time to train and if you push too hard you can set yourself up for injury! I ran a marathon in 2013 and it was awesome, but one of the hardest things I've ever done! I started like you, just running here and there. You never know what can happen! Races are my favorite. It's jus the best atmosphere!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Glad to have you following along. Thanks for the condolences and the encouragement. I appreciate them both! I am really glad I decided to write a pre-trip. The advice and encouragement have been great. I am super excited about the race. It will be a huge accomplishment for me. I broke the 14 minute pace on tonight's run. Feel like I am finally making some progress :)!

ScarletBegonias

Glad to have you following along. Thanks for the condolences and the encouragement. I appreciate them both! I am really glad I decided to write a pre-trip. The advice and encouragement have been great. I am super excited about the race. It will be a huge accomplishment for me. I broke the 14 minute pace on tonight's run. Feel like I am finally making some progress :)!

That's amazing!!! When I started running I ran a 14mm, and just through running a lot within a year or so I was down to about 10:30mm. I didn't even do speed work or anything special. The more you run, the faster you will become naturally! You'll get there!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I've imported Jeff Galloway's training calendar for the 10k into my Google calendar. Granted, you're not running the 10k, but the Walk, Run, Walk regime will get you prepped in no time. I would just keep the long weekend run to 3 miles when you reached that point in the regime. You will probably blow by the rest of the 5k runners, lol.

Ate at Biergarten for the first time a few weeks ago. Definitely a must do for you and your sister, especially to honor your dad. See you in February!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom