Prime Lens

HTF

Original Poster
So sorry to create a new thread for my individual quest but given the huge amount of photographers here I had to be a little greedy and hope to pick brains. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a Rokinon 35MM 1.4 Wide Angle Lens for Canon Cameras? I want to purchase a new prime for low light hand held situations like HHN street scenes, walking in the parks at dusk and most specifically dark rides. I've never used a lens that is all manual so I was just wondering if anyone here has and mastered the art of focus. The reviews I've read online all rave about the sharpness as well.

My other two options I'm considering are the 50mm 1.4 Canon Prime or the Canon 28mm 1.8 lens. I have the budget really for any of the three but given what I like to shoot does anyone have any recommendations or ideas for me? I've been using the plastic wonder 1.8 for about a year now and have outgrown it so to speak and am ready for something a little more "capable." I will also say my biggest complaint of the 50mm 1.8 plastic wonder is the fact it's a 50mm and once you figure in the crop factor it's cutting quite a bit out. Hence why I'm considering the 28mm 1.8.

For those who wouldn't mind I would appreciate any feedback on this $500 investment please.

Rokinon 35mm 1.4
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/35mm-f-1-4-22-aspherical-umc-wide-angle-lens-for-select-canon-dslr-cameras/3611083.p?id=1218420234306&skuId=3611083&st=Rokinon 1.4 35mm&cp=1&lp=8

Canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/9979969.p?id=1218204947964&skuId=9979969

Canon 28mm 1.8
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/4192879.p?id=1218463155980&skuId=4192879

Last edited:

CP_alum08

I don't have personal experience with the 35mm, but I have the Rokinon 8mm fish and it's a pretty great lens for the money.

if you haven't already, check out the Sigma 30mm 1.4. Also a great lens, maybe a little better than the 2 canon options you gave.

PhotoDave219

Since youve got a crop body, I'd go for the 28.

As for manual focus? Thats what i learned on. Pentax K1000 & a 50mm lens. Kodak Tri-x 400. Loved the look of it pushed 2 stops.

NowInc

Going to agree with Dave. On a crop sensor, with what you are aiming to get, go for the 28mm. I have the rokinon 8mm fisheye and can vouche that the build quality on that is amazing (I have heard great things about the 35mm as well).

Another option (tho a bit more expensive but at the price of more range) would be the new sigma 18-35 f1.8. I know a prime is always sharper, BUT...this lens will give you some versatility in what you can capture. Obviously its not an ultra wide, but its wide enough that you can get some nice "street" style photography at HHN, and it zooms enough for more close up shots. It being a fixed 1.8 can really come in handy in low light as well.

Last edited:

HTF

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll have to check out that Sigma for sure.

PhotoDave219

Another option (tho a bit more expensive but at the price of more range) would be the new sigma 18-35 f1.8. I know a prime is always sharper, BUT...this lens will give you some versatility in what you can capture. Obviously its not an ultra wide, but its wide enough that you can get some nice "street" style photography at HHN, and it zooms enough for more close up shots. It being a fixed 1.8 can really come in handy in low light as well.

Street Photography is more about the composition and the lighting more than it is about just being wide....

mousehockey37

What about the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens? It's one of the cheapest out there for a pancake but does it give good results in low light and such? Any help is good here. I have a Canon T3.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom