President's Week

disneyguru

I was wondering how crowded it gets during Presidents Week. My boyfriend and I are going down to see the Daytona 500 on Feb 20th, and then staying at All-Star Sports for 5 days from 2/21-2/25, which is President's Week. Is it going to be really crowded? We went last year 4th of July weekend and it was really crowded, how might Presidents Week compare to 4th of July? Thanks!!

DisneyCrazyGirl

Good Luck! I was there last year during President's Week and I had never seen the park so crowded. Get up early and be there when the park opens, hit the popular rides. Then go back to the hotel and relax for the afternoon. Take advantage of the evening Extra Magic Hours, but do not under any circumstances use the Morning Extra Magic Hour. For example, if Monday is MK's Morning Extra Magic Hour, every stroller on WDW property will be there, go to EPCOT or MGM instead.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask!!

Upvote 0

po1998

Is Presidents week more crowded than peak "summer" weeks when all kids are out of school? I am trying to get a feel for a definition of "crowded". I have been to WDW in summer, but never during Presidents week of Easter.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

mattmoo

i have been that week a couple of times. last year was one of them.i did not think it was that bad at all.the week after presdents week is a lot better.we go for two weeks. and that is second week that we are there.i think there is a big differnce.easter is not until the end of march this year.i hope that helps...

Upvote 0

Debbie

djmatthews said:
Silly question... not about crowds. What is the history behind Presidents week? What do people normally do?

President's week is actually what happens when people combine Presidents' Day, which is a Federal holiday, and make a long weekend/week out of it. Also, it's my understanding that some schools up north, have a winter break this week.
President's Day is actually the new federal holiday combining Abraham Lincoln's birthday (which itself was a federal holiday, typically around February 11), and George Washington's birthday (again, federal holiday, typically around February 22). When the U.S. Congress passed a law mandating a federal holiday in observance of the birth of Martin Luther King, then the two February holidays were combined into one.
Down where I live, many parishes and surrounding counties have the week of Mardi Gras off as opposed to a 'winter break'. This also stems from the fact that most schools here have alot of Roman Catholic Holy Days off (even though the school is public). Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and All Saints Day, were ALWAYS days off from school.
I hope I have explained this right; anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

JET12monorail

What do you guys think about the week BEFORE President's week. I'll be there with my family during that week because we thought that it would be an OK time to go. :slurp: :slurp:

Upvote 0

Debbie

JET12monorail said:
What do you guys think about the week BEFORE President's week. I'll be there with my family during that week because we thought that it would be an OK time to go. :slurp: :slurp:

If I remember correctly, the week ending February 12, ends the value season of the value resorts. From there on; the rates are for high season (the correct term escapes me at present). This could be because it's expected to be busy; from everything I've read, I don't think I'd want to plan for that week except if it's the only time we could go. Also, the Daytona 500 is February 20th. Could some combine race day with a pre-race week at WDW? I would if Mardi Gras fell a week later this year.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
The week ending on the 12th is also the week after Super Bowl. I suspect that some people will continue south to WDW after they leave here, especially because, as Debbie mentioned, it's still value season.

And I agree with her explanation of President's Day; the holidays used to be celebrated separately. I also remember a midwinter week-long break around Valentine's Day when I was growing up, and another around Easter.

My children have a long Christmas break and another in March. This is the first time in 9 years that they won't be the same week. (Not that The Daughter was planning on coming home, anyway. :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0

DisneyJukebox

Account Suspended
According to the Unofficial Guide, there is a spike in attendance on President's Day, but quickly returns to normal February attendance. And compared to the Summer months it is much lower attendance.

I have only been to MK during President's Week so I can't really compare. I saw a lot of people but it wasn't like I was in a big dance club or anything.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom