POTC to get Jack Sparrow

CTXRover

Legacy said:
Considering most people here seem in favor of a full redevelopment, I think that they should go all the way.

Really? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your's or other folk's points of view, but the vibe I'm getting here was they shouldn't touch the ride at all, not even for one minor addition! I think most of us are in favor of an update of the animatronics and lighting and show elements, but far from a full re-develeopment. The ride doesn't need that and I would think an enormous out-cry would be heard if they announced they were changing the ride to one solely based around the movie. Now that would be unnecessary, imo, and even I, one who tries to always find the positive in whatever is done, would be upset to a degree. Changing the final scene is not only relatively less expensive than your proposed re-do, it leaves the attraction as a whole more or less in its classic splendor that so many of us came to love over the years, with only a minor "plussing" of the attraction to meet the expectations of a younger audience/generation. Its really Disney's only option in order to appease the generations of fans and loyalists along with meeting the demands of the next generation of hopeful Disney fans.

Captain Hank

Actually, just putting in one element is the smart way to go, in my opinion. That way, if the movie series doesn't prove to have long lasting popularity, there isn't an entire attraction based on a failed property. Also, the one AA figure should blend in well enough so as not to take away from the experience if he becomes an unknown entity sometime in the future.

Legacy

CTXRover said:
Really? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your's or other folk's points of view, but the vibe I'm getting here was they shouldn't touch the ride at all, not even for one minor addition! I think most of us are in favor of an update of the animatronics and lighting and show elements, but far from a full re-develeopment. The ride doesn't need that and I would think an enormous out-cry would be heard if they announced they were changing the ride to one solely based around the movie. Now that would be unnecessary, imo, and even I, one who tries to always find the positive in whatever is done, would be upset to a degree. Changing the final scene is not only relatively less expensive than your proposed re-do, it leaves the attraction as a whole more or less in its classic splendor that so many of us came to love over the years, with only a minor "plussing" of the attraction to meet the expectations of a younger audience/generation. Its really Disney's only option in order to appease the generations of fans and loyalists along with meeting the demands of the next generation of hopeful Disney fans.
I fully understand where you are coming from, and even though I am arguing the point I am looking forward to seeing it because (even though I appear otherwise) I do think Jack is a good addition. However I just feel that something like this should be a black and white situation. Either do everything or nothing. I get why Disney is just adding Jack, but I feel that if they are putting the money into Jack, they should put it into full depth development rather than a simple "plus". I just think the money should go somewhere that REALLY needs it (SGE, Animal Kingdom) rather than Pirates.

Here's a question though.

If these people really are crying out for Jack Sparrow, won't they be slightly disappointed when they discover that he is a bit player for the whole ride? Sparrow was huge player in the film, and so I would imagine people who don't know the ride would expect him to be a huge player in that as well.

Just a thought.

CTXRover

Legacy said:
I fully understand where you are coming from, and even though I am arguing the point I am looking forward to seeing it because (even though I appear otherwise) I do think Jack is a good addition. However I just feel that something like this should be a black and white situation. Either do everything or nothing. I get why Disney is just adding Jack, but I feel that if they are putting the money into Jack, they should put it into full depth development rather than a simple "plus". I just think the money should go somewhere that REALLY needs it (SGE, Animal Kingdom) rather than Pirates.

Here's a question though.

If these people really are crying out for Jack Sparrow, won't they be slightly disappointed when they discover that he is a bit player for the whole ride? Sparrow was huge player in the film, and so I would imagine people who don't know the ride would expect him to be a huge player in that as well.

Just a thought.

Personally, I don't believe Jim Hill's assertions that people are marching into City Hall and wondering why Jack Sparrow isn't in the ride...or something along those lines. However, I do think though they will be a bit more enthralled if they see the character in the ride. It is a fine line between maintaining and respecting the classic nostalgic nature of the ride and meeting expectations of newer Disney guests. I think your proposed ride idea is really neat and would go over well with newer guests, but I think the price of likely protests and bad press wouldn't be worth it. We're talking about the same people (some of us here I imagine) who protested outside the gates when they removed a simple, dated dark ride (Mr. Toad's) :lol:

DarkMeasures

Arrrrr..... Me seys that they can be anythings that can improve the ending of WDW's pirates.

I mean, it kind of all of a sudden ends. There is no lift back up to modern times or anything like that, and the lift is in plain site (well when your on the boat) due to the work lights needed.

Also, what the guests says go. If they say turn the Cinderella's Castle into a giant potatoe, do so. As Walt has said "They must have a damn good reason".

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Legacy said:
But see? They could simply redo the entire attraction in a Black Pearl vibe, and 20-30 years from now it will be the same attraction. That's why I think they should either take out all the stops or simply not do it. I don't see why they should put in the money to redesign, build and modify one animatronic and showroom when they could re-imagine the entire attraction and create something that would leave everybody in awe. Use Barbossa, and Will, and Norrington and Elizabeth; the crowds would LOVE to see everybody along with Jack. Then as time goes by and the individual characters are forgotten the attraction will still be impressive because of the concept of dead pirates, ghost ships and sword fights.

Considering most people here seem in favor of a full redevelopment, I think that they should go all the way. Adding one animatronic for the sake of the masses seems like a cheap way out. That's what I want. Either go all out or don't do it at all. That's why Splash and WDW's Tower of Terror are so impressive. They went all out.
That's a fantastic idea. I see that some people think this is "unnecessary" and just one AA will "ruin a classic attraction," but if everyone had a chance to experience DL's PotC then they would be begging for a re-devolpment. :lol:

Lynx04

I completely dispise the WDW POTC attraction. I think they need to do more then just add a Capt Sparrow AA. Compared to the DL POTC this attraction is absolute garabage in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the DL version is great, but the WDW version has to be the most dumbed down attraction in disney. I don't even ride POTC anymore because ever time I go on it, it makes me so mad that this great ride is so dumbed down from the DL version. The only bright thing about the attraction is the queue is better. :brick:

Sorry, I just get mad when ever I think about the WDW POTC specially when the boats back up at the end like they do.

Figment1986

He has been called "The Corsair," "The Buccaneer," "The King of Barataria," "The Terror of the Gulf," "The Hero of New Orleans". At three separate times, U.S. presidents have condemned, exonerated and again condemned his actions. He is known for his piracy in the Gulf of Mexico, and lauded for his heroism in the Battle of New Orleans. Each personae seems to balance the other. He hated being called "pirate," for, as he saw it, he was a "privateer" serving an economic purpose in an economically frugal time in a new country that needed to economize. When he at last sailed away from American shores, he felt betrayed by a country that didn’t understand the difference.

He was Jean Lafitte.
that sounds firmiliar.. oh ya.. i remember... Sugar bowl... (hopefully they dont get an idea to use that music.. it was ncie to fake/play... but gets aknoying to the point of IASW after a while.... Dont click it if you dont want it stuck in your head....

(I am still for "one" count it" one" character added in.. he will be in jail right.. cause he should be there..... make him hard to not miss.... Then watch those complaints dissappear...)

DisneyPhD

So we took my 12 year old niece to WDW for the 1st time last year. (she was once when she was 3 years old) anyway she was all excited to ride POTC, I asked her how she liked it when they got off (I had to sit out with 3 year old DD who didn't want to ride it.) and niece was very dispaointed there was no Orlando Bloom in it. I guess she would setal for a Jack Sparrow :rolleyes:

I don't think it is a bad idea to add one new thing at the end. Sort of spice it up and tribute to the movie, just don't change it.

bryon1

An interesting side note after reading ALL 6 pages (way to go WDWmagic community!)...

Some are saying Yargh! Thare be no room for Jack! How sacreligious! and others are saying..Woo Woo what time and place and I'll be there!

However, I thought everyone @ WDWmagic wanted the JACK Skellington. overlay for Haunted M. (a "plussing") of the attraction? Did you know...just to do the "temporary 10 week overlay" it takes about 4 weeks to set-up and strike out at D/L. 14 weeks out of 52 that an attraction is different. (Lets not even include IASMW at D/L either.) Even though JACK Skellington is temporary and JACK Sparrow would be a permament figure to the ride, its interesting that a portion of the community says it's OK to a temporary addition in comparison to a permament setting.

Its also interesting that no one has mentioned that @ Hong Kong WILL BE GETTING A POTC "BLACK PEARL" ride that has a drop like splash mountain after year one.

Hmmm, me wanders if the companies a tryin to pull another fast one on the public by savin a few debloons. Make 2 at the same time...hmmm it worked for Space Mtn. for HKDL & DL, why not again?

Dont forget having worked the premiere at D/L let me tell you WDW can have it! They had to saw off all the srounding lighting and speakers for Fantasmic. Shut down the entire island for a week + and shut down the entire land from 12:00 to closing on the day of the premiere. A helicopter had to hover the screen and supporting pieces. Jonny D. did a double take when he saw everyone and the length of the red carpet (from Main St. to the Rivers of America) and had to recooperate backstage before going to do the walk.

MissM

Dunno. I don't really see that adding in one animatronic in the last scene being that big of a deal. I mean really...one figure? If you don't think it's a good idea, it sounds like it'll be pretty easy to just turn your head and look in the other direction. *chuckles*

I love PoTC. And while some sprucing would be nice, but I'd be against an entire re-do. But I seriously can't rouse anger at one silly figure being added.

*shrugs*
-m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom