PotC Hidden Skull?

Castle Cake Apologist

It's Sparrow. It has his skull cap and beads.

What the Hell are they doing?

See? I knew I wasn't crazy. I have no words. Like, I am legitimately baffled by this decision. Just even from a creative standpoint. What does the ride possibly gain from this? I'd say it loses a whole lot more because now the story is beyond convoluted.

Castle Cake Apologist

So what about that "familiar" skeleton? @Magic Feather What were you referring to?

Well. It appears that they've given the steering skeleton the Jack Sparrow treatment, which is a far worse offense to me than the skull.

What story exactly are they trying to shove in here? Why is Jack a skeleton in the caverns, but is alive and well in the town? Florida's Pirates doesn't have a time travel conceit, so it really doesn't make a bit of sense.

:(:(:(:(

tirian

See? I knew I wasn't crazy. I have no words. Like, I am legitimately baffled by this decision. Just even from a creative standpoint. What does the ride possibly gain from this? I'd say it loses a whole lot more because now the story is beyond convoluted.
If you go with the time travel conceit in Florida, you can say that Jack eventually paid for his piracy. But since you're in a Spanish fort during the raid, and since you can see the ship in the distance right after you load, the time traveling doesn't fit into the MK's POTC.

However, Those-in-Charge at WDI would probably tell us that nobody cares and it's just a ride, then they'd laugh at the foamers in online forums.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

If you go with the time travel conceit in Florida, you can say that even Jack eventually paid for his piracy. But since you're in a Spanish fort during the raid, and since you can see the ship in the distance right after you load, the time traveling doesn't fit into the MK's POTC.

However, Those-in-Charge at WDI would probably tell us that nobody cares and it's just a ride, then they'd laugh at the foamers in online forums.

It's a sad state of affairs.

Kman101

Same.

At this point they're better off gutting it and turning it into a ride that makes sense. I don't want to lose the classic Pirates, mind you, but they keep doing these things. We already got the lesser Pirates version and now they keep "enhancing" it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Disney should just get it over with and make every pirate and skeleton Jack Sparrow. The one at the end can sell you a DVD on the way out.

Shhh! You know they read these boards!

"Based on feedback, we realized that what our guests really want is a magical™ encounter with Captain Jack Sparrow™ where they can truly immerse™ themselves in the experience of purchasing an outdated media format. Here at Disney's® Magic Kingdom™ Park, our Walt Disney® Imagineers™ are always looking for new and innovative ways to enhance the guest experience, and we believe that this brand new magical™ enhancement to our beloved classic attraction, Walt Disney's® Pirates of the Caribbean™, will truly take you to new heights of fantasy™ and magic!™"

Castle Cake Apologist

Exclusive sneak peek of the new fort bombardment scene, coming soon:

full

Last edited:

Buried20KLeague

sounds like it's Florida's "poor man's version" of the beginning of Shanghai... Jack is a skeleton before turning into a human. The VERY poor man's version. :|

So is the drop supposed to be taking you back in time now????

FerretAfros

To be honest I don't think I would of recognized the skeleton as Jack Sparrow if I didn't read this.
I really don't think it's supposed to be Jack Sparrow. If anything, it's supposed to be reminiscent of the POTC movie franchise logo. Yes, that uses similar imagery to Jack's wardrobe, but I've never heard anybody say that it's supposed to be Jack's skull
pirates-of-the-caribbean-the-curse-of-the-black-pearl

Similarly, the talking skull in DL has had those same dangly bits since its 2006 redo, and it has never been claimed to be Jack Sparrow. At the time it was installed, I remember a lot of discussion about how the new look was inspired by the logo; I remember nothing about Jack Sparrow serving as inspiration
DSC_3569.jpg

Yes, the visual style is clearly influenced by the style of the movies in general, and Jack Sparrow specifically, but I don't think it's literally supposed to be him. If either version were supposed to be him, why don't the voices sound anything like his?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I really don't think it's supposed to be Jack Sparrow. If anything, it's supposed to be reminiscent of the POTC movie franchise logo. Yes, that uses similar imagery to Jack's wardrobe, but I've never heard anybody say that it's supposed to be Jack's skull

Similarly, the talking skull in DL has had those same dangly bits since its 2006 redo, and it has never been claimed to be Jack Sparrow. At the time it was installed, I remember a lot of discussion about how the new look was inspired by the logo; I remember nothing about Jack Sparrow serving as inspiration
DSC_3569.jpg

Yes, the visual style is clearly influenced by the style of the movies in general, and Jack Sparrow specifically, but I don't think it's literally supposed to be him. If either version were supposed to be him, why don't the voices sound anything like his?

Not the talking skull, the pirate piloting the ghost ship just before the drop.

Just am not a fan of changing the ride into the movie that was inspired by the ride.

Castle Cake Apologist

DSC_3569.jpg

For the 100th time, we're not talking about the new talking skull. We're talking about the helmsman full-bodied skeleton that is piloting the ghostly ship wheel with the lightning storm raging behind him. He has pretty explicitly been turned into a Jack Sparrow skeleton now. This has been specified and made quite clear in several posts.

The new talking skull is not what we are talking about. Everybody is aware that it's not meant to look like Jack. The full-bodied steering skeleton, however, is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom