PotC 50th Anniversary

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
April 2017 marks the 50th anniversary of the original ride's opening at Disneyland, and comes just one month before the release of the 5th movie in the series.

I've been wondering to what extent will Disney celebrate (aka promote) the milestone. I figure an in-park premier of the movie and a merchandise event (where you can drop $5K on a "Minnie as The Red Head pin") are a given, but does anyone know if more is planned or being considered?

VJ

Actually the ride opened on March 18, 1967. That said, I have thought about the 50th anniversary (and the fact that it's the "gold" anniversary) and how Disney would commemorate it. I don't think they'll let it pass by far, especially with the new movie coming out. Expect at least a small celebration, I'd say.

mickEblu

A replica of the talking skull (why doesn't he have a name like Harold or Ezra) would be much appreciated by me! I would be willing to spend a pretty penny on it.

Phroobar

543022_10101603005645738_2061709458_n.jpg

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
From today's Miceage update:

"This winter will also feature a nice six week refurbishment to freshen up Pirates of the Caribbean, reopening just a few days before the iconic rides 50th Anniversary on March 17th that will be celebrated with some new merchandise and a party in New Orleans Square that weekend."

Stevek

Moar movie, less of the original ride. In fact, tear the darn thing out and build the Shanghai Surprise version.

I kid, it's my favorite ride ever, don't mess with it.

dweezil78

Maybe someone will finally take the time to adjust the focus on the mist projection and put a new bulb in there so it doesn't look like a blob!

Edit: Seriously!? Are you telling me that the word k-n-o-b is used in such a frequent obscene manner on here that it's been banned? Really??

Figments Friend

I don't expect anything major for the 50th Anniversary of the Attraction except tons of merchandise.
Limited Edition high end 'Collectors' items, ( figures, art prints, etc. ) special general releases ( pins, shirts, etc. ) and likely tons of 'retro' inspired items based around concept art and early promotional materials.

I would also assume since it is the 'Golden Anniversary', someone who is clever in Marketing will play that up in relation to 'pirate gold'.
Special 'limited edition' 50th gold doubloons or other such trinkets I can totally see happening.

-

JediMasterMatt

The TLC has already begun. Many new fire effects and lights have been added. As of last night a significant upgrade has been added to the port battle. A new animated projection of a cloudy night is on the wall behind the ship.

Me thinks the moon disappearing behind the clouds is going to come into play in a few months.

Another reason why Disneyland Resort is the last bastion of quality in the States.

Jones has also gotten some loving since January.

DLR doesn't need refurbs to work some plusing magic.

Now back to riding Pirates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom