Post-Disney Depression

wsmith1978

Original Poster
Ok so I didn't make it down to Disney World until last year, I was 30 years old. Never got to go as a kid and neither did my partner. Our trip last year was the most surprisingly exciting time of our entire lives. For some reason, I never felt a huge desire to go to Disney World, but we decided to do it because we wanted an action-packed vacation rather than a lounging around vacation. I have never experienced a more perfect place. From the day we returned from our trip until we went back again this February, I don't think a single day went by when I didn't think about it and miss it! Do you all suffer from "post-Disney depression"? :animwink: How do you get through it? I thought I'd be better after going back this year but it seems I'm even worse! LOL My heart aches for Disney World and I can't wait to go back again. Why is it so wonderful?? :D

the-reason14

Oh dear God yes. It is the most horrible feeling to get imo. I dont know what it is, but I just miss it so much. It usually wears off a week or 2 after I get back. But yes, I go through it and Im sure a lot of people here do too.

nepalostparks

I don't know if it's depression I feel, but I definitely miss it from the moment we leave. For whatever reason, it has quite a hold on me.

For me, spending time on here with like minded people helps pass the time between trips. :lol: I also keep up with a number of other Disney websites, look at everybody's pictures, get new ideas for the next trip, listen to Disney park music, and plan in detail the next trip once we decide on when it will be.

Obesessed? A little. But I'm ok with that.

And while I went once as a child, around the age of 10, I think it's absolutely magical as an adult. My partner and I went in '08 as our first big trip together, and loved every moment of it. Disney, while certainly a family/kid oriented vacation, is just as great for adults too!

Mickey92

I Definatly get it! I get actually pre-depression because i go in 9 days and im still at school, so I just want to go now but can't :( This is what I do:

1. Look at any photos that you took during your trip:
2. Listen to lots of disney (Sometimes it helps to listen to music that is actually being played whilst you are walking around the parks)
3. Go on here lots if you can because we are talking about disney all the time!
4. Just go Disney crazy! Then it should wear off because other things in life crop up.

When ever Disney pops back into your mind and you miss it just follow these steps that I take. At the moment Im on WDWMagic (believe it or not) because I miss disney and soo excited about going, so I must be doing something right because Disney thoughts and memories are running round my head :sohappy:

Hope that helps,

Tristan

Goofygirl07

I so understand. Our trip is around 120 days away and im going crazy right now wishing it was time to go. But i also know i dont want to rush things because it will all be over too soon and then I will be upset its already over. So i just go on here every day and talk about our upcoming trip. My boyfriend thinks im nuts. lol

lilclerk

I try not to listen to TOO much WDW music when I'm waiting for a trip because it tends to make me sad. Last night my mp3 player randomly played the exterior music for Splash Mountain and I got such a pang for the MK.

Susan Savia

A month ago today my family and I were mid-week our Disney Vacation. The photos now sit in my 2010 Disney Album of which I've been thru quite a few times....Although our next trip isn't until January 2011, we are talking of a fall trip for Halloween. Meanwhile, spring is coming, theres lots of gardening to do and a beach trip in July and a trip to Memphis in August is confirmed, so I go on WDWMagic each morning, mark off each day on the calendar and before I know it the year will pass. I think the time just before leaving on the trip is the best. All the planning, packing etc. Because once the day finally arrives, it seems to go by in the snap of your fingers...:)

zurgandfriend

I always get post WDW depression. It starts on the DME on the way to the Airport and during the trip home. The same thing however occurs at the end of most vacations; the realization that the fun is over and it’s time to get back to work. Although there was this one vacation to Acapulco and the whole Montezuma’s revenge thing when we couldn’t get home fast enough, but I digress.

My depression is compounded by the fact that DW says she doesn’t want to go back to WDW anymore, “she wants to go some place different,” try the kitchen! Thank you I’ll be here all week, but seriously I’m going to miss her on my next trip.

I find that starting to save for the next trip, and planning it in my head, what park on which day, what restaurants etc, is the best medicine. I ‘m lucky I can experience WDW vicariously through others as I have a co-worker who goes to WDW twice a year with her partner. She is the least adventurous person I know and she always asks for help in planning her trip. I am happy to help but it’s hard to convince her to experience some different things. I am always saying” try some different restaurants.” “WDW is more than the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.” “Visit the Animal Kingdom, float on an inner tube at Typhoon Lagoon.” It took me 2 years to convince her to stay someplace other than POR, now she won’t stay anywhere but the Wilderness Lodge.

EPCOT Explorer

PDD is a common malady for the Disney Obsessed. It's usually remedied by taking or planning a next trip. Take two of these and call me in the morning.

:lookaroun

mike45248

After out last trip in Sept 09 I was bummed and did not vitis the board for awhile. Then I started to peek in a few times and then talked it over with the Wife and started to plan our next trip, so I am visiting almost every day to get new ideas on the next trip.:sohappy:

RickyMouseMom

I understand that pain....it gets worse with each subsequent trip. The pain then requires another quick fix...booking another trip. Then you need more and more trips planned because the pain becomes more and more unbearable. :ROFLOL:It is totally an addiction.
For instance, we initially started going once a year...then we got a pin code which allowed us to go twice a year....So two trips a year because what we 'needed'. Then we got an unbelievable deal on a DCL cruise that allowed us to additionally go on a cruise. Now we are up to 2 trips to WDW a year and a DCL cruise again. DH was thinking maybe we should fit in a christmas week trip too! This is not a good situation....(This is not easy to pull off affordably because we live in upstate NY - not FL!!!!). We are starting to think we should just move to FL :lol::lookaroun

stevieg639

Do you all suffer from "post-Disney depression"? :animwink: How do you get through it? Why is it so wonderful?? :D

I do suffer often from "post-Disney depression" at times but its more when its like a week after the trip and a month or so before my next trip. The only way I knew how to get through it was to go work there seasonally and go when I can. I do not know why it is so wonderful other than many of my favorite movies become alive.

BrerFrog

After my two-month CP program - the only time I went to Disney - the post-Disney depression got me bad and I was down in the dumps for a long while, I still remember going back to College and being completely absent-minded during classes and when I was with my friends. :(

Obviously, I still miss Disney, but now I am not depressed about it.

tiaragirl

Ah, of course. I think there needs to be a post-trip rehab for the hardcorers (as we all appear to be). But it's okay! There will always be another time.. and you've got some pretty fantastic memories to tide you over until then.

Plus WDWMagic, and disney.go.com, and planning CDS, and music..

Okay, take me there.

Figment632

I hate flying with a passion so the fact that I have to take a flight home kill the depression until I get home.

Honestly coming here to WDWmagic and talking or debating :lookaroun about WDW really helps me.

travelgip

I haven't been back since July of 2008 and I am sooo Jonsing for a trip. I'm actually planning to go back soon and the planning seems to help the depression.

rodserling27

Post-Disney Depression should be classified as an official disease. When you see the doctor, he writes a prescription for a 3 to 5-day trip to Walt Disney World Resort. If this does not cure it, then more trips are required. It's the cycle of life, isn't it? Go to Disney. Enjoy it. Leave Disney. Get depressed. Go back. Enjoy it. Etc..... :ROFLOL:

BrerFrog

I hate flying with a passion so the fact that I have to take a flight home kill the depression until I get home.

Honestly coming here to WDWmagic and talking or debating :lookaroun about WDW really helps me.

I am in the same situation. I hate the fact that I have to fly to get to WDW since I am totally afraid of flying. If I had the option to drive I would, even if it took me twenty days. :lol:

I almost think the more you go to Disney the worse it gets. Most vacations you're ready to head home but at Disney you want to stay longer. It's so comfortable there I think most people let their guard down and relax and enjoy. That's the only place where you can just start up a conversation with people sitting next to you on the buses or waiting in line for rides and discuss current and old trips to the "Kingdom". People seem to open up like the old days. Where else can you feel and act like a kid and no one cares!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom