Possible third ride in pandora

TyTrap

Original Poster
Really?? How are they going to put Banshee-like seats on that ride apparatus? The capacity will be dismal, because it's already very low based on the standard capacity of the ride system they're using. Hmmmm.

I was not trying to say that.
Tom are you familiar with vekoma's Pandora's box ride system. Look up that ride vehicle and imagine the row of seats as the wings of a mountain banshee. Now I'm not saying they are using the ride system but they could use a hybrid of that ride vehicle with the flight simulator.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

RayTheFirefly

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've seen this posted a bunch of times, but I still don't get it. How is this any different than Soarin'? It looks exactly the same to me. And I was under the impression this would stand apart from Soarin' as a similar but very different (and better) simulator.

This has a much large range of motion then Soarin', and this ride will also be in 3D, so that is at least two items that will set it apart.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hm. I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. I thought there would be a bigger difference.

Well, as I said that is at least two differences. We have no ideas what other differences there may be. If as Iger suggested, you are actually going feel like you are sitting on a Banshee then that is a major innovation in my opinion.

RayTheFirefly

Well, as I said that is at least two differences. We have no ideas what other differences there may be. If as Iger suggested, you are actually going feel like you are sitting on a Banshee then that is a major innovation in my opinion.
I hope he wasn't just trying to build hype! :)

space42

I've seen this posted a bunch of times, but I still don't get it. How is this any different than Soarin'? It looks exactly the same to me. And I was under the impression this would stand apart from Soarin' as a similar but very different (and better) simulator.

What I find interesting about this discussion is that since the earliest rumors for Avatar surfaced suggested the headliner was going to be "Soarin' 2.0", there has been almost a constant effort attempting to discredit this statement. I remember when the blueprints leaked basically confirming that indeed it would be something like Soarin' - you had people saying the blueprints were fake and the ride was going to be groundbreaking and not like Soarin' at all. Now that construction is finally underway - we can see that the blueprints were indeed correct - they ARE building Soarin' 2.0.
I still would really like to know what it is they can do to make this more impressive than Soarin' ? We all assume it's going to be in 3D and have a greater range of motion. Will that be enough to make this a truly Disney Quality E-Ticket?

What could they have done to make this a "WOW, only Disney can do this" attraction? What I would have liked to see is something like this: perhaps if the attraction started off as a boat ride through the Pandora jungle and at some point the boats 'dock' into the simulator housing and get picked up into the IMAX portion. After completing the simulator part of the experience, you transition back to boat ride. Something like Horizons 2.0. Now THAT would be impressive.

Figment2005

What I find interesting about this discussion is that since the earliest rumors for Avatar surfaced suggested the headliner was going to be "Soarin' 2.0", there has been almost a constant effort attempting to discredit this statement. I remember when the blueprints leaked basically confirming that indeed it would be something like Soarin' - you had people saying the blueprints were fake and the ride was going to be groundbreaking and not like Soarin' at all. Now that construction is finally underway - we can see that the blueprints were indeed correct - they ARE building Soarin' 2.0.
I still would really like to know what it is they can do to make this more impressive than Soarin' ? We all assume it's going to be in 3D and have a greater range of motion. Will that be enough to make this a truly Disney Quality E-Ticket?

What could they have done to make this a "WOW, only Disney can do this" attraction? What I would have liked to see is something like this: perhaps if the attraction started off as a boat ride through the Pandora jungle and at some point the boats 'dock' into the simulator housing and get picked up into the IMAX portion. After completing the simulator part of the experience, you transition back to boat ride. Something like Horizons 2.0. Now THAT would be impressive.
1. The entire room could be heavily themed.
2. Riders ride upon individual "banshees" instead of a bench
3. The range of motion means a much more intense and thrilling attraction
4. Screen consists of LED panels instead of projections giving a perfectly clear 3-D image

Those are the four main things that have been thrown around as possibilities that would make this attraction night and day better than Soarin.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I don't recall anyone with any credibility saying that the blue prints were fake. We have always known one of the rides would be an indoor screen based attraction. For me, there is no reason why Soarin' 2.0 can't be a "Disney Quality E-Ticket". Some more range of motion along with high-def 3D would make this a great attraction in my book.

As for what Disney could do to make me go "WOW", that is simple, something that I can't even think of.

PhilharMagician

This has a much large range of motion then Soarin', and this ride will also be in 3D, so that is at least two items that will set it apart.

Also the Vekoma system loads on 3 separate levels where as Soarin' loads all on one level.

I imagine that the Soarin' ride system could be designed to have a much larger range of motion for the ride car.

space42

I don't recall anyone with any credibility saying that the blue prints were fake. We have always known one of the rides would be an indoor screen based attraction. For me, there is no reason why Soarin' 2.0 can't be a "Disney Quality E-Ticket". Some more range of motion along with high-def 3D would make this a great attraction in my book.

As for what Disney could do to make me go "WOW", that is simple, something that I can't even think of.

I'd have to go find the thread - I'm sure its here somewhere.

Soarin' has never really been impressive like past Disney E-Tickets such as Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Tower, Indianan Jones, Horizons, etc.

The fact that we already have hybrid screen / track rides (Forbidden Journey) - I was really hoping Disney would step it up a notch.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd have to go find the thread - I'm sure its here somewhere.

Soarin' has never really been impressive like past Disney E-Tickets such as Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Tower, Indianan Jones, Horizons, etc.

The fact that we already have hybrid screen / track rides (Forbidden Journey) - I was really hoping Disney would step it up a notch.

I guess where we differ is that I believe they can create a new, innovative ride experience based on a Soarin' type ride system.

wdwfan4ver

It is true that James Cameron wanted 3 attractions for Avatarland like Flayjob mentioned. It was mentioned in late 2012 in the News/Rumors Message Board. There was plans of a Bike Coaster for Avatar, but it was canned, due to budget cost.

The bike Coaster for Avatarland is the same rumored Star War land attraction for DHS mentioned back in 2013. I believe the Bike Coaster actually was rumored for WDW before avatar as the Tron Light Cycle Coaster at MK before that was scrapped also.

doctornick

1. The entire room could be heavily themed.
2. Riders ride upon individual "banshees" instead of a bench
3. The range of motion means a much more intense and thrilling attraction
4. Screen consists of LED panels instead of projections giving a perfectly clear 3-D image

Those are the four main things that have been thrown around as possibilities that would make this attraction night and day better than Soarin.

And piggie-backing on (4), with an almost certain digital format, the ride could have random sequences (like Star tours 2.0) allowing for different experiences each ride.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think with the two big rides, they should have swinging vine ride. Theme it to look like a giant plant or tree and have it glow with the rest of Pandora at night. Would add energy to the land and could be quite pretty.

orlando678-

It would be fun to see a smaller ride in thee Avatar area like a spinner or flat ride as mentioned above but it should be very well themed so that it doesn't ruin the area. Universal wanted to do this with Harry Potter and flying broomsticks but it was deleted when they thought that it would ruin the looks and realism of the area

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom