Possible Frontierland expansion

Phineas

Indeed. Part of the problem is that one of the critiques of the time claimed it took place during the slavery era instead of the Reconstruction period*, and the person who wrote hadn't even seen the film but instead was working off of notes an assistant took while watching it.

*Not that the Reconstruction Period was all that great, either, but it was certainly better than the period before or the Jim Crow era that came after.
Exactly. And it's so easy to say "No, no nothing offensive here!" as a Caucasian American male, but really-the internet has built it up to be this horrific, mean-spirited, Pro-White brigade, which is definitely is not. (Again, Birth of a Nation would like a word with you...) And Disney's refusal to just release it only adds fuel to the fire.

They could handle it properly by releasing it in the same format as the Walt Disney Treasures line-include documentaries/introductions by film critics, putting it in its proper historical context. They did this with a collection of wartime shorts, several of which border on outright propaganda, and there was no outrage or backlash towards the company. It even included the infamous Der Fuehrer's Face, which features Donald Duck having a nightmare about being a Nazi-mustache, armband and all. Surely if Disney felt comfortable releasing that, Song of the South deserves the same treatment.

The very worst term to apply to Song of the South would be "misguided", rather than mean-spirited or hateful.

Last edited:

mitchk

Don't expect it next year. Or the year after.

What's up my man, hope you have a great trip, shame we will miss each other this year by a few days.. It's killing me digging around this thread trying to find out what the expansion is going to include. I remember years ago there was talk of changing TSI to a pirate theme.. Then talk of putting a version of Grizzle from CA Adventure in TSI place. Now it seems it will go off to the left of Big Thunder, well to the back left. So can you please put me up to speed with this. Either on here or a PM. Thanks my man, like I said, I hope you, Michelle, and who ever else is with you, have a safe, and magical trip!

Lynn Stephens

Um wow...didn't mean to cause an ish-storm by that comment. I first saw SotS as a child and my innocent little mind saw nothing wrong with it. Now that I'm middle aged, I see how it can offend people and even though it doesn't offend me it may offend others. So I am being sensitive to those whom are offended and reflecting Disney's perspective on it since they hide from the film. Splash Mountain keeps that alive and I can see them re-theming it. I'm not going to armchair Imagineer on how to do it, but WDI has a pretty good track record so I'll let them do it.

So can we please excuse my comment and focus back on topic? Please and thank you?

ULPO46

How did we get from one of the funniest rumors I've ever seen about frontier land to now Splash Mountain being racist? Wow tis a sad day in American Pop Culture. I guess Madea is next. Come on guys enough of this nonsense It's honestly my favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom. At one point it was and sort of still is the un official anthem of the Walt Disney World Resort. so lets have a Zip-a-dee-do-da Day and stop arguing the what if's and get back on topic.

Kman101

Sounds like somewhere, someone(s) in charge is realizing things have been stale at WDW for a very very long time and they're finally (yet slowly) acting on it.

Bairstow

I remember this one-her reaction to the grandfather clock scene had me laughing very hard. It's a shame she doesn't really make regular reviews like this any more.

She's still making content, though less frequently, and it goes up on her own site- Chez Apocalypse.

Phineas

She's still making content, though less frequently, and it goes up on her own site- Chez Apocalypse.
Oh yes, I know-my girlfriend and I actually frequent their site (we actually love Todd in the Shadows as well), but her review format videos like this one seem to be a thing of the past. I do enjoy her character studies and whatnot, I just miss her occasional straight reviews.

tl77

As for "nitwits"..... First, its "FOLK" not "FORK" Second, you misspelled "expensive."

Alas...... Small World has never moved nor will it.

FOLK is a very cheap theatre to build. That is simple. Small world is a specific-use constructed building. The costs associated with reconstructing that ride elsewhere are astronomical.

Moreover, Small world is one of the original, classic rides from park open in 1971. Small World is what everyone associates with Fantasyland at Walt Disney World.
B.S. anyone? ummm? They just moved that opening day attraction called DUMBO to expand New Fantasyland, ya know?

by the way do you still not think Marvel is coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?... also notice I spelled out Disney's Hollywood Studios instead of DHS so you wouldn't get confused... you're welcome

Last edited:

tl77

Aaaaand someone just got placed on Ignore. Nothing "newer and bigger" is going to be developed in place of WDW's It's a Small World. It's not worth the cost. Go have fun living in your land of delusion, but leave us out of it.
Do you really think I care if you me? you people have a really high opinion of you own opinions around here... by the way a delusion is a belief based on nothing which all I'm getting from you

Monorail_Orange

Ummm.... No.

You do know the difference between a carnival spinner and a show building enclosed flume attraction, don't you?

Why the trolling?
Because their either drinking the same kool-aid as jt, or else they have nothing better to do than sit in their parent's darkened basement in their underwear, posting about things they clearly have no intellectual comprehension of.

Bairstow

As much as the feasability (or not) of moving Small World intrigues me, isn't the Haunted Mansion and its show building a much bigger impediment to the sort of Frontierland expansion we're envisioning?

Ridiculous thought: if money were no object, could both the Small World and Haunted Mansion show buildings be demolished and rebuilt as a single, multi-story combined facility?

I mean, if it works for Disneyland...

autopia_layout.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom