Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedati

I've read through the entire thread and now feel ready to contribute- not with an opinion, but a proposal that may put the issue in perspective.
What if upon arriving at the park the castmembers at the gate ask if you suffer from any of the conditions presented within the the 42 pages of this tread. They do not ask for any proof. If you say yes, you are given a GAC. If you say no, then you are asked if any member of your group or family of up to six people have any of the conditions listed. If any answer yes, you are given a GAC.
Every single guest would be made aware of the GAC, the array and degree of issues it covers, and the alternate solutions it provides.
I think that would be fair.

Tom

Beta Return
I've read through the entire thread and now feel ready to contribute- not with an opinion, but a proposal that may put the issue in perspective.
What if upon arriving at the park the castmembers at the gate ask if you suffer from any of the conditions presented within the the 42 pages of this tread. They do not ask for any proof. If you say yes, you are given a GAC. If you say no, then you are asked if any member of your group or family of up to six people have any of the conditions listed. If any answer yes, you are given a GAC.
Every single guest would be made aware of the GAC, the array and degree of issues it covers, and the alternate solutions it provides.
I think that would be fair.

Not only would that create even more bottlenecks, but it would open the floodgates to people - who previously didn't even know the program existed - saying "yes" just to get one. At least for now you have to be proactive about it, and go to Guest Services.

I think Disney should hire a team of "medical professionals" who are cross-trained in Guest Services. You go to City Hall claiming to need a GAC, and they send you over to a quiet, secluded room, where you speak one-on-one with a nurse (someone carrying medical credentials that allow them to discuss HIPPA protected information), who then determines what - if any - GAC you qualify for. Better yet, require a doctor's note, which could then be read by the "medical professional" on site.

To make it easier on the legit GAC guests, there could be a pre-screen process - similar to what the TSA does for frequent flyers - wherein they communicate via their physician and obtain their necessary level of GAC even before their trip, which could also be an annual or lifetime "pass" if their disability is permanent.

There are lots of ways to actual curtail the rampant abuse of this gracious system that Disney has implemented - but it required money spent on Disney's part, with no actual ROI to justify it to the bean counters.

Tom

Beta Return
Life isn't fair.

I have severe motion sickness. I can't ride Space Mountain, EE, RnRC or M:S. I think they need to take the motion-sickness-inducing components of those rides out.

I also have really bad allergies. I would like Disney to give me a face mask and unlimited oxygen tanks to wear throughout my trip so that I don't have to take 10 Benadryl a day while my body adjusts to Florida allergens.

That would make everything fair....for me.

luv

I have severe motion sickness. I can't ride Space Mountain, EE, RnRC or M:S. I think they need to take the motion-sickness-inducing components of those rides out.

I also have really bad allergies. I would like Disney to give me a face mask and unlimited oxygen tanks to wear throughout my trip so that I don't have to take 10 Benadryl a day while my body adjusts to Florida allergens.

In the even that you do have allergies, Zyrtec works pretty well and doesn't leave you sleepy.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I'll make a statement that I'm sure will result in this exploding into a political debate but I still feel the comparison is apt. Reasonable accommodations should be provided for people with proof (in the form of a doctor's note or a "background check") for guests that require use of a Guest Assistance Card. If you are unwilling to provide this proof then you should not be eligible for the card. For me, the comparison is identical to background checks on firearms, if you don't want them - I don't want you having a gun.

Tom

Beta Return
I'll make a statement that I'm sure will result in this exploding into a political debate but I still feel the comparison is apt. Reasonable accommodations should be provided for people with proof (in the form of a doctor's note or a "background check") for guests that require use of a Guest Assistance Card. If you are unwilling to provide this proof then you should not be eligible for the card. For me, the comparison is identical to background checks on firearms, if you don't want them - I don't want you having a gun.

Tim, I couldn't agree more. We give up a little freedom to be safe when flying....we give up a little freedom to carry firearms. Why can't we disclose a little personal information in order to allow ourselves to take advantage of a privilege (not a right), like visiting a theme park? Granted, I still think they should implement some sort of staffed system where not just any minimum wage CM is collecting personal medical information from guests. I really like my idea of putting some qualified medical staff in those areas (who could also double as nurses in the first aid centers).

PhotoDave219

Jeez..... I rode BTMRR last week and had more post concussion symptoms for 3 days after. There's a reason I have to be careful how often I ride & nothing more intense than that.

Reactions: Tom

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think Disney should hire a team of "medical professionals" who are cross-trained in Guest Services. You go to City Hall claiming to need a GAC, and they send you over to a quiet, secluded room, where you speak one-on-one with a nurse (someone carrying medical credentials that allow them to discuss HIPPA protected information), who then determines what - if any - GAC you qualify for. Better yet, require a doctor's note, which could then be read by the "medical professional" on site.

1 - hippa means nothing here
2 - disney is not really in a position to try to qualify people's disabilities.. the law is setup to basically deter that and would open Disney up for liability to be sued as discriminating against some disabled

Disney isn't supposed to screen people - Disney is supposed to listen to what a person is unable to do, and provide a reasonable accommodation to ensure the person is not excluded due to the disability.

What Disney needs to do is stop granting golden tickets for disabilities that don't need it. Provide accommodation to fit the disability. Offer return times, alternate waiting areas, etc.. instead of saying 'oh, here, a pass that makes it so you don't have to wait...'

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
2 - disney is not really in a position to try to qualify people's disabilities.. the law is setup to basically deter that and would open Disney up for liability to be sued as discriminating against some disabled

Disney isn't supposed to screen people - Disney is supposed to listen to what a person is unable to do, and provide a reasonable accommodation to ensure the person is not excluded due to the disability.

What Disney needs to do is stop granting golden tickets for disabilities that don't need it. Provide accommodation to fit the disability. Offer return times, alternate waiting areas, etc.. instead of saying 'oh, here, a pass that makes it so you don't have to wait...'
One thought I've had would be requesting the accommodation in advance, however that would mean it would have to be publicized on their website and it still isn't fool proof.

luv

Zyrtec does nothing for me after taking it for 15 years.
Sorry. I've been taking allergy medicine since all there was for us was Chlor-Trimeton. I remember when Seldane came out. It like like medicine from the Gods, lol.

The Zyrtec works pretty well for me...but nothing beats Benadryl for allergy symptoms! Just wish it didn't make me sleepy!

luv

Nobody here is doubting people who actually need assistance or suggesting they shouldn't receive assistance.
Agreed. The whole reason we are upset with the liars is that they are going to cause trouble for the people who actually need these things. It isn't that we are just upset they're getting something we don't get. We could walk in and get GACs, too, if we wanted.

In order to re-vamp the whole system, some people who do need a GAC will be denied one and it will become more difficult even for those who aren't denied one.

Counting on people to be decent human beings is not working. At some point, The Law will have to step in...and that will make it worse for the people who aren't lying, too.

Lucky

Something closer to Universal's system in other words.

Goofyernmost

Agreed. The whole reason we are upset with the liars is that they are going to cause trouble for the people who actually need these things. It isn't that we are just upset they're getting something we don't get. We could walk in and get GACs, too, if we wanted.

In order to re-vamp the whole system, some people who do need a GAC will be denied one and it will become more difficult even for those who aren't denied one.

Counting on people to be decent human beings is not working. At some point, The Law will have to step in...and that will make it worse for the people who aren't lying, too.
Although I agree with what you said, I have to add that the Law isn't likely to step in. I can't imagine a group of law makers writing a bill stating that Disney is having a problem with abuse of the current rules, based particularly on the fact the GAC's are not required by law to begin with. No, I'm afraid that Disney is going to have to solve this problem or just ignore it. My guess would be that they will "Ignore it".

At some point everyone will have a GAC card and that line will become the standby line and the problem will fix itself.

fosse76

Exactly. Legally, Disney can require a doctor's note or make inquiries into the nature of the disability. Where they get into trouble is denying disability access to those who meet the requirements of the ADA because of lack of proof. Such a denial on its face would violate the ADA, because now Disney isn't providing the reasonable accomodation that the law requires. It really is a double-edged sword. And contrary to popular belief, the ADA doesn't cover everything. It only covers people who have a disability that limits/prevents people from doing things that are considered a major life activity/function (such as walking, seeing, hearing, standing) on a long-term basis. Short-term disabilities are not technically covered by the law...so if you had a surgery that makes you incapable of standing for more than 30 minutes at a time, but only until you fully recover in three months, the ADA does not actually apply to you (though most businesses really do not have the time or resources for that kind of minutia, it's more for employers, but it still applies to people visiting Disney or any other business).

The idea that I had in a previous thread seems, to me, to be the fairest to those who need a GAC and to deter people who don't need it from getting it: they go to the attraction, get a return time that matches the standby queue wait time, and cannot gain access with the GAC to any other attraction during that time (including getting a return wait time for another attraction). Of course, with the RFID technology, in my little world people with a GAC return time also wouldn't be allowed to standby queue for any other attraction while the GAC return time is ticking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom