Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

RnRc, which I observed from the single rider line. Though the same party will be doing this at every Fastpass attraction.

Cast member: "How many?"
Bro dude: "16."
CM: "This card is good for four people."
Bro: "yeah we have three more cards."
CM: -__-

I understand your frustration with humanity. Certainly not disagreeing with you.

CaptainessKylie

I find the only problems with return times for legitimate guests that need these (one of my family members) is that this doesn't allow for the usually shortened day in the park. Universal seem to give these out like candy, it just means the people that really need them have to suffer with all the terrible people scamming the system, getting them for asthma and claustrophobia at halloween horror nights...erm!

We find when visiting that we can't spend an entire day, it does take us longer to get between attractions and sometimes the fastpass line is too long...even had a disney cast member refuse to give an assistance card and tell us "if its that bad he needs to be in a wheelchair or something"!!!! even after a complaint to management and then to GR when we got home, they just fobbed us off with free popcorn..no thank you!

There must be a way they can make this less accessible to the scammers!!! :(

NEL

Talk about beating a dead horse. Why this thread continue to exist I don't know. I think everyone who has an opinion has already posted it and those that have different opinions have also already replied. Now it's mostly people saying insensitive/inappropriate things and others complaining about the remarks. I for one think the mods should consider closing it before it gets more out of hand. There is obviously no new news or opinions that have not already been expressed. Just my humble opinion.

Tom Morrow

Talk about beating a dead horse. Why this thread continue to exist I don't know. I think everyone who has an opinion has already posted it and those that have different opinions have also already replied. Now it's mostly people saying insensitive/inappropriate things and others complaining about the remarks. I for one think the mods should consider closing it before it gets more out of hand. There is obviously no new news or opinions that have not already been expressed. Just my humble opinion.
I'm not sure of you're aware of this, but discussion forums are for, you know, discussing things. Just because -you-, personally, feel that there is nothing more to be said, doesn't mean a thread should be closed. Maybe more people will be able to read it and have additional input and continue the discussion? I've seen many a messageboard die out because of the "there's nothing more to discuss, close this thread" mentality.

Second, more people need to be aware of this abuse and how it is affecting them.

NEL

I think you are being rather insensitive by saying such a thing. Many of us have new opinions every day and we might want to express them as time permits.
Funny. I still think the mods should close the thread or if not at least move it to a new forum. Maybe they should create " beating a dead horse " forum and move this thread along with all the Marvel in WDW threads as well.

NEL

I'm not sure of you're aware of this, but discussion forums are for, you know, discussing things. Just because -you-, personally, feel that there is nothing more to be said, doesn't mean a thread should be closed. Maybe more people will be able to read it and have additional input and continue the discussion? I've seen many a messageboard die out because of the "there's nothing more to discuss, close this thread" mentality.

Second, more people need to be aware of this abuse and how it is affecting them.
Ok. And I am sure your aware this is in the Park News and Rumor forum. How is this still park news and rumor. This has turned into complain, insult , and complain some more. I sure I can't be the only one here with this opinion. But like I said before this is just my humble opinion.

Tom Morrow

Because it all stems from a rumor that Disney's policy and procedure for the cards might be changing, and we are discussing the pros and cons of the current system, how it could be improved, and the effect changing the system could have. IE discussing. (ignoring the latest argument about race)

rct247

Because it all stems from a rumor that Disney's policy and procedure for the cards might be changing, and we are discussing the pros and cons of the current system, how it could be improved, and the effect changing the system could have. IE discussing. (ignoring the latest argument about race)

I'd like to add an update that the rumor that Disney may be changing current GAC card policys, look, and procedures is for sure true (if it hasn't already be stated). GAC cards WILL be changing in some form in the next few years. In addition to data being collected at attractions, a special committee has been formed to discuss how to fix the problem of abuse. Things being talked about, but not necessarily all be implemented are:
-Color change of the cards
-Larger stamps
-Legal fine print (Not for Resale. Non-Transferable.)
-Stricter enforcement of the 6 person rule.
-Requiring guests to visit guest relations each visit.
-Limit the amount of times it can be used at a given attraction. (No back to back to back use.)
-Possible MyMagic+ integration/Internal database of guests receiving cards (although cards are said to not go away right away)*
-Working with attractions to give out "return times" rather than "immediate access" for those needing an alternate entrance.
-Less contradiction in multiple stamps given / more education on proper stamps to give
-Stricter enforcement of card holder must be present AND riding the attraction to use the card
-Continual upgrades and refurbishments to attractions to make all attractions accessible resulting in no need for an alternative entrance for limited mobility or wheelchair parties.

*One thing about connecting GAC card information to MyMagic+ is that Disney now has medical information collected and stored with a guest name which is against the law unless they are a healthcare provider.

All this comes straight from the source. Nothing has been set in stone, but they do know abuse, reselling, and blogs posting on how to cheat the system all exist. They are not happy and want it to stop, but have to be careful how they still provide the service to those who need it and also protect themselves from legal trouble as well. Not sure if any of this is new, but it does seem to align with some posts on this topic.

Clever Name

GAC's are designed for people that need special assistance and/or help. I'll admit to you that I have been lazy all my life. My laziness has caused me all kinds of problems. I can't tell you how many times I've been fired from good jobs because I was caught goofing off or for taking too many breaks.

Laziness has been a real disability for me my entire life. I wish I could get motivated and work hard but I just seem to have some sort of mental block concerning hard work. I'm a modern day Maynard G. Krebs.

I might have chronic fatigue syndrome but I've just been too lazy to go to a doctor to find out. I get a GAC when I'm at WDW because I'm too lazy to stand in line. I'm glad that WDW understands my disability and provides me help to make my visits more enjoyable.

I'm so lazy that:

dog_20walking.jpg

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I'd like to add an update that the rumor that Disney may be changing current GAC card policys, look, and procedures is for sure true (if it hasn't already be stated). GAC cards WILL be changing in some form in the next few years. In addition to data being collected at attractions, a special committee has been formed to discuss how to fix the problem of abuse. Things being talked about, but not necessarily all be implemented are:
-Larger stamps
-Limit the amount of times it can be used at a given attraction. (No back to back to back use.)
-Possible MyMagic+ integration/Internal database of guests receiving cards (although cards are said to not go away right away)*
-Working with attractions to give out "return times" rather than "immediate access" for those needing an alternate entrance.
-Less contradiction in multiple stamps given / more education on proper stamps to give
-Stricter enforcement of card holder must be present AND riding the attraction to use the card
-Continual upgrades and refurbishments to attractions to make all attractions accessible resulting in no need for an alternative entrance for limited mobility or wheelchair parties.

*One thing about connecting GAC card information to MyMagic+ is that Disney now has medical information collected and stored with a guest name which is against the law unless they are a healthcare provider.

All this comes straight from the source. Nothing has been set in stone, but they do know abuse, reselling, and blogs posting on how to cheat the system all exist. They are not happy and want it to stop, but have to be careful how they still provide the service to those who need it and also protect themselves from legal trouble as well. Not sure if any of this is new, but it does seem to align with some posts on this topic.
Thanks for sharing this.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Sorry - that is utter and complete non-sense. Its not against the law to store medical information if you are not a healthcare provider. Not only if that not even remotely true, it's not even remotely conceivable to see how anyone made that stretch if they knew the law.

The HIPPA law is about PROTECTING medical information - meaning how it's stored and how it's SHARED. What providers and associated companies are not allowed to do is not share/disclose medical information without the patients consent. It doesn't mean the info can't exist, or can not be shared, only that it must be by CONSENT. And once you have the info, there are requirements to ensure the security of that information to avoid leakage, etc.

On top of that.. HIPPA only covers specific types of entities... mostly health care providers and their associated business partners.

But I guess you think your employer and school are both breaking the law by having your medical history stored too? Genius..

muteki

-Larger stamps

If all or any of the above actually get implemented that looks like a big improvement to me.

WDWLOVER1957

^ A problem is that almost every single GAC issued out is stamped with the "alternate entrance" stamp. Because that is what people want. Because that is the "golden ticket." The "stroller=wheelchair" stamp is abused too by people who don't want to park their strollers, but that isn't that big of a deal because they aren't reaping the benefit of being able to experience more than others who paid the same as they did, and consequently causing longer wait times for those who don't know/follow the rules/don't scam.

I don't think anyone in a wheelchair using the alternative entrance would consider it a golden ticket, its stupid ill informed comments like this that makes people want to get one.

NEL

-Larger stamps

I heard from 2 friends of mine at guest relations that Bob Iger himself will be announcing these changes at the first Star Wars weekend event, right before the new Star War's fireworks.

Disvillain63

Funny. I still think the mods should close the thread or if not at least move it to a new forum. Maybe they should create " beating a dead horse " forum and move this thread along with all the Marvel in WDW threads as well.
If you're done with this thread, then move on to a new thread yourself. That's what makes this a choice. If you feel that the others are 'beating a deadhorse', then move on yourself and let them 'wallow' in their thread.

Disvillain63

I don't think anyone in a wheelchair using the alternative entrance would consider it a golden ticket, its stupid ill informed comments like this that makes people want to get one.
There are Disney guests that do not NEED assistance, including wheelchairs, who get a wheelchair at the entrance to MK, Epcot, AK, and DHS and then proceed to Guest Relations to get their GAC. Those are the guests the poster is referring to...not the ones who truly need the assistance.

Goofyernmost

There are Disney guests that do not NEED assistance, including wheelchairs, who get a wheelchair at the entrance to MK, Epcot, AK, and DHS and then proceed to Guest Relations to get their GAC. Those are the guests the poster is referring to...not the ones who truly need the assistance.
Well, if they did that, it wouldn't take long before they realize that it was way more of a hassle to maneuver the Chair around then just stand in line. One would either have to push themselves around by the wheels which would produce a number of blistered and bleeding hands by the end of the day or someone would have to push there butt around the parks all day. The novelty would wear off real quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom