Portofino Bay vs. Royal Pacific Resort

kels650

Original Poster
I'm sorry if this has been posted somewhere, but I currently have 2 reservations and I am not sure which one to choose. One is for 7 nights at Portfolio Bay, the other is at Royal Pacific for 7 nights. I am beginning the trip planning process thus the two reservations. The reservations are over a 2 week period, we will be deciding this week which week we want to keep, and I do understand deciding the week may decide the resort but with more information that may influence the week we choose as well. I ended up getting a much better deal on the Royal Pacific room, by almost 1,000$, but I know nothing about that resort at all and I know very little about Portofino Bay. Has anyone stayed at either place? I have only stayed at the Hard Rock in 2000. We are going in October planning on doing 2-3 nights of HHN and the parks during the day. The rest of the vacation is not planned activity-wise so I may refine the number of nights later if we change hotels. It is important to us to stay on property for the EP for the rides during the day, early entry to Harry Potter, as well as, the ease of getting to the resorts/parks/city walk. I am just looking for any advice from any know that has stayed at either place. Thank you in advance!!

nerdboyrockstar

They are both fantastic resorts and I've stayed at both multiple times. I consider Royal Pacific my "home away from home" but that's because of the theme. I just love the more tropical South Pacific vibe. The other recreates an Italian seaside village to a T (I know that better now having visited Italy this past summer).

I like being able to walk from RPR to IOA, where Portofino's walk to Universal is just a little too long for me at least. Also, I prefer the dining at RPR. Emeril's Tchoup Chop is one of my favorite restaurants ANYWHERE, Jake's American has great eats even late, the sushi bar is really good, the poolside grill is delicious, etc.

Okay, I'm gushing. I'd pick RPR but you seriously can't go wrong with either choice. They're both so good.

TalkingHead

They're both lovely hotels, so I agree with the comment that you can't go wrong with either place. I really loved staying at Portofino Bay, and I liked how it felt more isolated from the other areas of the resort. I like the plaza public space which has a nice vibe to it -- it doesn't feel like a sprawling hotel resort.

I wouldn't walk to the parks from either hotel unless it was January or February, so that wouldn't factor into my decision. We stayed at Portofino and took the boat to RPR to eat at Tchoup Chop, so I wouldn't let the restaurants determine where I stayed.

Here's my take. If you can swing the $1000 difference and expect to spend significant time around the resort either for dining or relaxing, I'd probably be inclined to stay at Portofino. If you're mainly staying on property for the Express Pass and the convenience, then save the $1000 and stay at RPR.

Knothead

Normally I would would tell you RPR all the way, but one thing to keep in mind is the construction going on behind the hotel and next door at Sapphire Falls. If you are planning your stay before mid 2016, I would steer toward the PBH just to avoid the sounds and dust from the construction sites.

BrianV

Normally I would would tell you RPR all the way, but one thing to keep in mind is the construction going on behind the hotel and next door at Sapphire Falls. If you are planning your stay before mid 2016, I would steer toward the PBH just to avoid the sounds and dust from the construction sites.
Any update on how that is impacting rpr? We are staying there in august but could switch.

Knothead

Any update on how that is impacting rpr? We are staying there in august but could switch.
Not sure about noise, but it is very dusty on that side of the hotel. They try to keep it clean with sweeping machines, but it is still quite dusty.

BrianV

Not sure about noise, but it is very dusty on that side of the hotel. They try to keep it clean with sweeping machines, but it is still quite dusty.

Hmmmm. Unfortunately the hard rock is full. We could switch to portofino bay, but I prefer the location of rpr. Bummer...

kels650

Original Poster
Thank you for all the feedback! Very helpful! I think I might go for the RPR, and save the money, more to put towards my next trip!

JediMasterMatt

Portofino is a better hotel and is a beautiful resort; but, you are making the right choice with Royal Pacific.

The other advantage is RPR is close enough to walk back to the room.

If you are really serious about coming back to Universal, definitely get a annual pass. They offer GREAT discounts for all the resorts.

If fact, you can book your stay and then get your pass and then change to the discounted rate if you ask really nicely.

fosse76

Portofino Bay is definitely Universal's most Deluxe resort hotel. The rooms are larger, and the hotel I think is "quieter" than Royal Pacific. Of course, Royal Pacific is no Motel 6 by any stretch, so you really can't go wrong with either choice (though I like the dining options at Portofino Bay better). Royal Pacific has an advantage with its proximity to the parks; I've often been able to get to the parks before the boat even arrived to pick-up guests and vice-versa. And i agree with JediMasterMatt: if you plan on returning within a year, get an Annual Pass. You can save siginificantly at all of the resorts.

kels650

Original Poster
I will definitely be getting the annual pass. The savings for this trip alone will be worth it, the savings for next year will just be an added bonus!

DevonCandy

Hiya

Hope you don't mind me jumping on the thread and asking my own questions about these two as seems like some of you are in a position to give some hints/advice

I spotted this thread and had to read as we are trying to decide between Portofino & Royal Pacific for late aug/early sep 2016 we stayed at Portofino this year and it was stunning and quiet which helps after a long flight from Uk with 2 under 10's and it really did feel like a different world after being in the busier parks but my partner originally wanted to stay at Royal Pacific but it was sold out for dates we were going,is the Royal Pacific very close to sapphire falls kind of hoping nosie/dust etc will not be an issue by the time we visit

Also has anyone upgraded to a royal club level room? Originally was looking at Jurassic Park suites but the difference in price between that and standard room is just too much but thought the added extras on club level may be worthwhile

Disneyhead'71

Hiya

Hope you don't mind me jumping on the thread and asking my own questions about these two as seems like some of you are in a position to give some hints/advice

I spotted this thread and had to read as we are trying to decide between Portofino & Royal Pacific for late aug/early sep 2016 we stayed at Portofino this year and it was stunning and quiet which helps after a long flight from Uk with 2 under 10's and it really did feel like a different world after being in the busier parks but my partner originally wanted to stay at Royal Pacific but it was sold out for dates we were going,is the Royal Pacific very close to sapphire falls kind of hoping nosie/dust etc will not be an issue by the time we visit

Also has anyone upgraded to a royal club level room? Originally was looking at Jurassic Park suites but the difference in price between that and standard room is just too much but thought the added extras on club level may be worthwhile
Sapphire Falls will be open by Sept. 2016, so no construction noise or dust to worry about. Volcano Bay will still be under construction, but that's too far to impact guests.
And Club Level is quite nice. The snacks are more than adequate for as quick grab and go breakfast. And the afternoons are nice.

DevonCandy

Sapphire Falls will be open by Sept. 2016, so no construction noise or dust to worry about. Volcano Bay will still be under construction, but that's too far to impact guests.
And Club Level is quite nice. The snacks are more than adequate for as quick grab and go breakfast. And the afternoons are nice.

Thank you for putting my mind at rest it was the construction that was bothering me a little lets see what is on offer tomorrow at the travel agents think i will try and get club level at royal pacific as not much difference between that and standard room at Portofino

danpam1024

we normally stay at HRH. Stayed at PBR 3 times, I just don't like it. It's a beautiful resort, don't get me wrong, but the pool is small and lack luster and it is quite a hike to the parks if you walk. And the service in the restaurant is hideous. My first trip to RPR is TOMORROW!!!!!! And they can keep CBBR- different crowd there and no EP.

danpam1024

Hiya

The Kid Suites do not necessarily mean it's club level, be careful. Also- they're huge(we normally stay at the ones in HRH) and IMO well worth the extra money for the privacy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom