Port Orleans Riverside Vs Wilderness Lodge.. (Poll)

Would you rather stay at Port Orleans Riverside or The Wilderness Lodge?

• Port Orleans Riverside

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Wilderness Lodge

Votes: 53 73.6%

• Total voters

Chaset24

Original Poster
We are going to Disney August 31st.. We had originally planned to stay at Port Orleans Riverside.. Now, I want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but my soon to be wife wants to stay at Port Orleans Riverside.. I know that Fort Wilderness Lodge is more expensive, but I was curious as to which one others would choose...

Last edited:

Spectro

While I think Por is a stunning resort, I have spent time at wilderness lodge and the feeling was more upscale. Also the boat to mk was very enjoyable. If you stay at por you have boat to Disney springs.

21stamps

Wilderness Lodge :)
Ok then, here's my thoughts.
I've never had a desire to stay there. Recently I switched a trip around last minute, I got "stuck" with WL as the only option.

I wasn't very happy about that, until I asked people here. Received tons of great info. Once we arrived we LOVED it! Seriously, the lobby, the grounds, the restaurants, the lounge, the pool, the hidden mickeys (that we failed finding), the bikes (we rented and rode over to Ft Wilderness)..everything was amazing!!!! The boat to MK was fast an convenient.

So -- I definitely recommend Wilderness Lodge!

Oh- and the fireplaces scattered around!!! At the end of the day, you can order a cocktail and go sit by a fireplace, away from everyone else. It was great. You may want to show photos of all of these things to your wife. I'm a converted fan, and like I said, I had 0 interest in WL before December '16. :)

Chaset24

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the Advice ;).. She told me that she is ok with Wilderness Lodge, as long as we get to ride horses there.. Is this possible? :confused:

21stamps

Thanks everybody for the Advice ;).. She told me that she is ok with Wilderness Lodge, as long as we get to ride horses there.. Is this possible? :confused:
Yes! ( Kind of) At Fort Wilderness. You can rent bikes and take a quick pretty ride over there, you can walk, or you can take a boat directly from WL to FW.

These 2 photos are at the stables- so many horses!
IMG_8542.JPG
IMG_8544.JPG

And.. when you're finished you can sit outside of the general store and play a game of checkers :)
IMG_8569.JPG

Last edited:

21stamps

Is it just a carriage ride like at POR?
No, it's actually horses. They do have carriage rides too though. My son was too young the horses, and too old for the pony rides. So we couldn't do it.. I did see other people. You can walk around and look at all of them too. I just edited my above comment with photos.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
No, it's actually horses. They do have carriage rides too though. My son was too young the horses, and too old for the pony rides. So we couldn't do it.. I did see other people. You can walk around and look at all of them too. I just edited my above comment with photos.
Hope the horses had more legs than the white one in your photo ;)

21stamps

Also.. here's a great tip that I received from someone here. If you go to the front desk and ask for the Hidden Mickey Hunt, they will give you two papers.. 1 for the main lodge and one for Boulder Ridge. They have clues written on them and you have to find and write where you found them. Return to the front desk and get a prize. We didn't complete ours..it was late and we were tired... but, it was fun looking..even if we didn't get a prize :( ;)

@Mr Ferret 88 Ha ha, yeah. Apparently I didn't get great photos of any. I just went back and checked.lol

ETA- I wanted to give one more "Tip". I didn't want to spend the time or money eating at Artist Point. So we went to Territory Lounge, they had great beverage options, and a few menu items from Artist Point. The charcuterie board was delicious! It's a nice spot where you don't need reservations. They also have great coffee options in the morning.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Before we became Deluxe snobs and then DVC, we always stayed at POR in Magnolia Bend. Lovely resort, beautiful grounds. But when leaving Ft. Wilderness during a trip, we got lost trying to find the gift shop and ended up at WL (don't ask...my daughter and her GPS...). Well, that was it. I decided we had to stay at WL, got a great AP discount for our next trip and we never looked back. But if my budget could only accommodate a Moderate, it would be POR.

Chaset24

Original Poster
Before we became Deluxe snobs and then DVC, we always stayed at POR in Magnolia Bend. Lovely resort, beautiful grounds. But when leaving Ft. Wilderness during a trip, we got lost trying to find the gift shop and ended up at WL (don't ask...my daughter and her GPS...). Well, that was it. I decided we had to stay at WL, got a great AP discount for our next trip and we never looked back. But if my budget could only accommodate a Moderate, it would be POR.

Well we were going to stay at POR no matter what,due to it being cheaper, but my brother started the Disney College Program and we learned we could receive a pretty nice discount..so we decided we might try something different..

21stamps

Thanks 21stamps for the information and advice.. :)
No problem! Just paying it forward.lol. I received a ton of info and advice before my trip.

I've never stayed at POR, we did stay at POFQ for 2 nights in 2015..tried to add a night at Poly but they were sold out.. the front desk actually recommended POFQ based on the availability that was left.. I am a HUGE fan of SMALL resorts.lol..we didn't do any parks those 2 nights..only Disney Springs. The boat ride to and from was nice. We did a carriage ride as well, and that was pretty.

Chaset24

Original Poster
I have personally stayed at Port Orleans riverside around 8 or 9 times, but I have never stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.. My soon to be wife was there with me for one night during a split stay there and the Poly.. She wanted the Poly haha, but we both agreed it is to expensive due to wedding expenses and we would get more time at POR.. Plus she loves the feeling of Old Louisiana, even though we are in Mississippi, live around a large swamp, and travel to New Orleans all of the time o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom