Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach?

Scott10

Have stayed at POR in both mansion royal room and bayou....both are great. My family really enjoys to food court at Riverside both in the morning for breakfast and for the pasta at lunch. The boat to DTD is great and makes for a relaxing time to sit back and catch your breathe and take in some sites that you normally don't get that perspective on. Overall, we feel like POR offers a nice, relaxing atmosphere while staying in the Disney bubble!

bethymouse

POR main pool gets lots of tree "trimmings" in it. Other than that you can fish there, take a carriage ride, take a boat to DTD, eat at Boatrights ( TS), go visit French Quarter by boat and eat begnets. POR has the royal rooms ( newer- kids love them) if interested, but long walk to main area. Lovely resort though, except for the buses. But, the buses at CBR are worse! Too many stops!:eek:
You can see the EPCOT fireworks from certain sections of the beach at CBR. We actually liked Shutters ( table service), but did not like the food court area/shopping area... tiny! There is a separate building for check-in too ( didn't like that). The main pool was nice with a splash area for little ones. There are also themed pirate rooms ( newer) that are neat for kids, but long walk to the main area. We loved the "Disney wildlife" at CBR. We crossed over the bridge to say 'Hi" to the turtles each morning!:) Overall, both have good and bad points about them. I do give thumbs up to POR though just because of the romantic boat ride to DTD.:) Enjoy!:)

Someluck

Going with the unpopular vote here. Hate POR (love POFQ) and love CBR. Pool is way better and if you get a room just over the bridge, everything is very close. We have never taken an internal shuttle bus. Rooms are newly refurbed and love the beach areas to hang out, hammocks, kids throw the ball and aren't in anyone's way, etc.

I have to agree with you! We did not have a good time at POR. We were in the Bayou section 26 way far out from the food court. Took us about 15 minutes to walk one way and on the way back to our room at night it was very, very dark. The landscaping seemed to close in and so there was no expansive view at all. Our experience at CBR was much better. We were in Jamaica 46 and it was a 5 minute walk across the bridge to the food court, well lit and open feeling. This trip we are trying CSR and I would try POFQ in the future.

NiarrNDisney

Port Orleans Riverside gets my vote!
Reasons:
- its close to its sister resort French Quarter where there are more dining options available
- proximity to DS which is a bonus especially since the boat ride there is an experience in itself
- the restaurants alone are reason enough

RKSteel

I think Riverside is winning at the moment due to the boat to dtd and the theming . I've noticed that some rooms sleep 5. Is there a way to specify these rooms?
These are the Alligator Bayou rooms, if you have 5 people in your party, you will be booked to this room. The pulldown bed is 63" long. The only AB rooms that are preferred are the couple that are close to the dining hall.

We always stay at the POR, and my DDs are teenagers now. All moderate rooms are the same size, so they will be a little tight, but you are just there to sleep. We use 3 hanging closet organizers to store our clothes since they is not much drawer space.

Seanual757

I have stayed at both we actually prefer French Quarter to Riverside (due to the size of the resort) but IMHO Riverside is a great resort you cannot beat the food court, the amount of activities available. The boat to DTD is great unfortunately the lines can be long at Riverside for a boat. When we stay at French Quarter we normally head over for Dinner at Riverside. Between 6-7 the lines can get extremely long in the dining hall so be prepared. My wife and I actually stayed at Riverside on Saturday I found a last minute Florida resident deal for $125 a night.

ml123_9

PORS Alligator Bayou rooms. RS is much more peaceful and relaxing than CBR. Although RS is large, the main pool and food court are much closer than at CBR. Boat to DTD is very nice and I think Boatwright's is a hidden gem. One note though, the Alligator Bayou buildings do not have elevators. The Mansion buildings do. AB is only two stories but if stairs are an issue, then either request 1st floor or a mansion room. Assuming you decide to go with PORS. Either way, have a great trip.

Glasgow

I'm in the minority here but I feel that POR was a little .. plain? Still very nice but it just felt like a standard hotel with some fancy touches here and there to me. I suppose if you are from the south then you see those trees and setting a lot more often and they aren't a deciding factor. We gravitate more towards the 'exotic' theming so CSR and CBR are more our speed, but hopefully you find your exact match. If everyone liked the same thing then that would certainly be pretty boring!

Yelloweaver

I love POR. I was booked there for my October trip and was hoping for free dining, however, no rooms at POR for free dining so my travel agent was able to get us a Pirate Room at CBR. Yes, I have heard they are a walk, however, this is our 7th trip so we are in no hurry to get to places so we are fine with staying in a pirate room this time. It's something different and my dd really loved the look of the pools there. I'm looking forward to it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
They are both large, they both have all the amenities, I like both and would say you couldn't go wrong with either.

Port Orleans has the boat to Downtown/Disney Springs so that's a plus if memory serves me correct Riverside doesn't have a sit down restaurant like CBR does but that may or may not be a factor. I personally like the main pool at Caribbean better.

Riverside does have a table service restaurant - it's French Quarter that doesn't.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've stayed at both. Last time we stayed at CBR, we noticed how worn and frayed the resort was. Plus, the buildings don't have elevators. So if you have lots of luggage or a stroller, you have to drag it up the stairs. And I'm not impressed with Shutters. Boatwright's at POR is much better, IMHO. I prefer the resort merchandise store at CBR to POR, but I'm not making my resort selection based upon that.

POR is a lovely resort. I would stay there. But I've become a Deluxe snob, lol.

Bartattack

Just returned from CBR a few weeks ago and we"re already looking for booking (the UK free dining package) again for may next year. Had a real fun time at CBR. We were located in Aruba section with view on one of the beaches and lake. The food court is a decent walk, but we were very close to the bridge over the lake, so that was ok. Rooms were refurbished, another plus. coming from Europe, I really like the tropical setting of CBR... it really says 'holiday' for us... instead of POR.

Blackburn23

Both are fantastic and very similar, just your preferred theme. We love the beaches of CB and both food courts are great! Piano Bob @ PORS is a must if u stay there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom