Port Orleans French Quarter or Coronado Springs

scarpiapiano

Hey Everyone,

We're planning a trip to WDW in October and wanted to stay at a moderate resort. We're leaving the kids at home on this trip and celebrating our 20th anniversary so we don't need kids activities but we'd like some romance. Back in '92 we went on our first trip and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings back then). We loved it and still think it's one of the nicest resorts we've stayed at.

We wanted to stay at a different resort this time. The reviews from the Unoffical Guide and online reviewers rank POFQ just as nice or nicer than Riverside. However, I was in the bookstore yesterday and started reading the the new Complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. Boy did they rake POFQ over the coals! According to them FQ is the resort to stay in when you can't get into any other moderate, the lobby looks like a warehouse for left over parade props and the whole resort looks like a cheap Disney Imitation. They gave FQ only one star ranking it below any other Disney Resort including the value resorts.

Now I have some misgivings. Coronado Springs looks more impressive (I realize that it's almost twice as big and that might have something to do with the wonderful pictures). The new renovated rooms at CS look awfully nice. According to the Unofficial Guide, the transit times to parks are better at Coronado Springs. I'm also reading that since it has convention facilities and thus lots of conventioneers, CS may not have as much "Disney Magic". Any opinions out there?

RiversideBunny

Whenever we consider staying at a different resort from our favorite, POR, we look at it like this-

POFQ is too much like POR. It's a junior size POR.
And no interest at all in CBR.

So- that leaves Coronado Springs. Really would like to try it. From what I've read, the Ranchos should be avoided because they are so far from the main lobby. Othewise it doesn't really matter where at CS. The theme and the architecture look interesting.
I understand that at CS you only get one sink for the bathroom instead of the two like at POR. We could work around that.

Have fun.
:)

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Honestly if I were not staying at the Dixie Landings I would stay at the Carriben Beach. The French Qaurters is a little smaller then the DWF and I like and we are not into the Mardi Gra theme. The Coranado is very nice, but we stayed there in Sept 2008 and felt like we did not leave work do to two conventions that were going on. If it were not for the convention center, then I would highly reccomend you staying there. To me the Dixie Landings and the Carribean Beach is layed backed, beautiful and has the Disney Magic feeling.

Upvote 0

MCRRBA

WE stayed at BCV and PORS in FEB and visited both CS and POFQ. CS is big, and has a large convention center. One of my co-workers stayed there in March with her family (their first vist to Disney)while she attended a conference. She thought it was nice, but the conference center atmosphere took away from the experience. (I found the same thing when we visted). POFQ was nice. It is smaller and we found not as well themed as PORS so we were glad we did not stay there.
We have stayed at the CBR and really enjoyed that resort. It is large, but well themed with a fun feel to it. I would recommend it. I personally like to try different resorts every time I go. So far the Beach club is at the top of my list but CBR is number 2. Next trip I hope will be the Wilderness Lodge.
Hope you have a great time:)

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

I would give CS a try. We had really bad luck at POFQ last August and will never stay there again. Being a trip without kids I feel CS has much more to offer adults. Larger beds (if you are not able to get a king) and sit down resturants, more bars to relax and enjoy a cocktail!! Either way i hope you all have a wonderful trip. Enjoy your time without the kids.

Upvote 0

WDW 3

I totally disagree with the lobby looking like a warehouse for left over parade props?? Where did that come from? We stayed at FQ in November and had no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there as a couple. This resort being so much smaller was a treat. Tree lined walks and peace and quiet.

Upvote 0

kirinan

We’ve stayed at POFQ every time we’ve gone to WDW (except one time, when we tried Coronado Springs). Last time we stayed at FQ was May of 2008, and we’ll be staying there again when we go this November. We LOVE FQ, and have never had a bad experience there.

Maybe it’s not the most exciting lobby, but I certainly wouldn’t compare it to a warehouse of props. And who cares that much about a lobby, anyway? You’re only walking through it to get to and from places. To us, what’s important is that the rooms are comfortable and clean, the grounds are always well-maintained, the food court is decent, the cast members are always nice, and--as a couple without children--that the resort is quiet and relaxing. We love walking around the grounds in the evenings; it’s peaceful and enjoyable. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend POFQ to you.

To be fair, we also liked Coronado Springs well enough. It’s definitely a resort with more walking involved, though. There are also convention groups there, but they never intruded on our vacation. We just went back to POFQ because it feels more like home to us.

Upvote 0

Christi22222

Opinions are opinions only, of course, and everyone has their own biases! With that said, I stayed at both of those resorts in 2009 within a one month period so could make a pretty accurate comparison. I stayed at POFQ in mid-Jan for the marathon, and CS in early Feb for a family vacation with husband and 11yo.

Short version, definitely POFQ.

Longer reasoning.....

I don't use the transportation much, because I rent a car, so I'm not much help there. However, I really like the boats at POFQ to go to Downtown Disney. It is such a pleasant ride and fun way to go do something without really putting lots of energy into touring. We could choose to eat at DTD and it was easier than pretty much anywhere else on property it was so close. No production for waiting on buses or getting to the car and then parking it. Nice!! Also, the resort is so small that it's pleasant to not have to walk MILES for everything. Mind you, I ran a marathon, but I've done enough Disney trips to appreciate both the convenience and intimacy of a smaller resort. POFQ is certainly not heavy on theming, but what's there is pleasant and you still fell very much Disney-ish. Just not as in your face. Think Haunted Mansion area of DL, and you have a similar feel. I enjoy it. The pool at POFQ is only adequate, compared to a much cooler pool at CS, for sure. However, I found the theming and Disney feel to be weak over-all at CS, and hated how super insanely large the grounds were. Far more impersonal. And the convention attendees who are all serious and the meeting rooms and what not don't help at all. Very business-like in many (not all)areas of the hotel. And the food court has slightly better food options, but they are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced. And I say that in context of all things Disney being pricey. If you are on the dining plan, though, then no problem. I did not get a re-done room, and the room was horrible. (Our room at POFQ was nothing special, but plenty nice.) I also paid for a water view that turned out to be in a weird corner that if we looked out our front door and window we could look across the walk way to another building that had a boring courtyard pool that you could see the gate to. No view involved, I don't care what gymnastics you used! I had expected at least a corner of the lagoon or being on a courtyard pool in our building or something reasonable, but no. And we were very far from the main pool, very far from our parked car, very far from food and mug refills, and very far from bus stops. Maybe it was just bad luck, because I've only stayed there once, but even our stay at CB, an equally large resort, offered a far better situation. You were far from say the pool, but then were at least close to a bus stop. And our water view had both a pool and lagoon. Anyway, CS stunk for us. The pool is neat for sure. That is my one plus, but it's full lots with kids. The grounds are reasonably pretty, but I find the grounds at POFQ far more beautiful. And EVERYTHING there is a short walk. The real selling point, though, is the boat to downtown disney. And if you have a car, the location of the resort on property is far more useful. If you have any specific questions, fire away, I will stop babbling on now!

For the record, there are some insane CS loyalists, and that must be so for a good reason. Maybe they will pop on and give their perspective. Different strokes for diff folks and all....

Upvote 0

Christi22222

We’ve stayed at POFQ every time we’ve gone to WDW (except one time, when we tried Coronado Springs). Last time we stayed at FQ was May of 2008, and we’ll be staying there again when we go this November. We LOVE FQ, and have never had a bad experience there.

Maybe it’s not the most exciting lobby, but I certainly wouldn’t compare it to a warehouse of props. And who cares that much about a lobby, anyway? You’re only walking through it to get to and from places. To us, what’s important is that the rooms are comfortable and clean, the grounds are always well-maintained, the food court is decent, the cast members are always nice, and--as a couple without children--that the resort is quiet and relaxing. We love walking around the grounds in the evenings; it’s peaceful and enjoyable. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend POFQ to you.

To be fair, we also liked Coronado Springs well enough. It’s definitely a resort with more walking involved, though. There are also convention groups there, but they never intruded on our vacation. We just went back to POFQ because it feels more like home to us.

What they said! Much shorter, same point!! lol :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Mouse Man

Honestly when you walk into a resort at Disney you should get a sence of wow and a feeeling of excitement and glad you are staying there. Two resorts so far has done this for us. The Dixie Landing/PORS and The Wilderness Lodge. As I stated in my post before it is up to you what theming and style that you like. Some people love a smaller resort, some do not, some love a lyed back easy going resort, some do not. Honestly when I read the comment that the lobby of the POFQ looked like a whare house hanger, I never thought of it before. But they are some what right. But again it comes down to the style and theming that makes you feel happy and welcomed. Each Moderate has it's own personality and style. I do know the Corranado Springs is not for us. Mainly due to being to large and the bussiness convention. In 2011 the DWF and I are looking to stay at the Wilderness Lodge again. PORS and the Wilderness Lodge is the style that makes the DWF and I relaxed, welcomed and wow and so happy to be staying there. You will get a different bunch of opinions on which one is better, it's like sort of like Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy kind of thing. Lastly, the one thing the DWF and I have been doing is taking a little time out of our vacation to visit a resort or two that we may be thinking at staying at. The Boardwlk has peaked our interest and we seem to really enjoy visiting this resort. Hope this helps a bit.

Upvote 0

Lucky

However, I was in the bookstore yesterday and started reading the the new Complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. Boy did they rake POFQ over the coals! According to them FQ is the resort to stay in when you can't get into any other moderate, the lobby looks like a warehouse for left over parade props and the whole resort looks like a cheap Disney Imitation. They gave FQ only one star ranking it below any other Disney Resort including the value resorts.

Now I have some misgivings. Coronado Springs looks more impressive (I realize that it's almost twice as big and that might have something to do with the wonderful pictures). The new renovated rooms at CS look awfully nice. According to the Unofficial Guide, the transit times to parks are better at Coronado Springs. I'm also reading that since it has convention facilities and thus lots of conventioneers, CS may not have as much "Disney Magic". Any opinions out there?
They're both nice enough that we've stayed at each of them twice, and are going back a 3rd time for CS in August. I disagree with the criticism of the POFQ theming, but also didn't find the convention center at CS to detract from the "magic" any. We've also stayed at CB, and I'd say the bus times are shorter for POFQ than for CB or CS, because you get to MK so quickly. (POFQ share most buses with POR, but usually not to MK.)

Whichever one you don't do this time, do next time.

Upvote 0

corey154

Ok, I figured I'd jump in here...both resorts have good things about them, it's what type of vacation you're looking for. Our personal fav mod is POFQ, especially if it's a family or just a hubby and I weekend away. But if we're doing a weekend with another couple we have more fun at CS. CS has a night club (but way overpriced), nice outside bar area that we enjoy having a few drinks while people watching the convention goers, and queen size beds. POFQ is smaller so it's great to get to the buses, food court, the boats, pool, and lobby. At CS you can be quite far depending where your room is. I personally like the theming of the french quarters more than i like southwestern theming. Another huge thing for us is going to DTD from POFQ. It's so much easier in the evenings getting a boat than taking a bus to DTD. If you've ever staying onsite and tried to go to DTD in the evening, you'll notice there can be a wait, I don't know if it's just the boats are less stressful or if it's the fact that you can get to DTD by boat or bus (two modes of transportation) that make it easier. Either way I enjoy it more. Also, I like the food court better at FQ than CS.

Personally I'd like everyone to choose CS, b/c then it makes FQ easier for me to get into...lol!

Upvote 0
French Quarter get my vote

I have stayed at POFQ several times and love it. It’s my favorite place to stay of the moderate resorts. It’s so much smaller and easy to get around. I walk over to PORS to eat sometime for something different and I think you can use their pool. FQ is so quaint and homey you have the one bus stop instead of 15 (not that many but seems like it after a long day at parks:ROFLOL:) CS has. In regards to size of CS and getting around the resort the Downtown Disney bus goes backward from park buses so if you want to go to the front of CS you can ride the DTD bus and the last stop is the lobby and food court and for way back take a park bus and it makes stops at every bus stop. Park buses start at front stop by lobby-food court and Downtown Disney starts at last bus stop for parks and makes it way to front by lobby-food court (that is the way it is for all large resorts with many bus stops so you don’t have to walk as much if you don’t want to) I hope that makes sense. Both resorts are nice but I would pick POFQ. POFQ also has carriage rides thru the resort which is very nice.

Upvote 0

mm52

Pofq

Hey Everyone,

We're planning a trip to WDW in October and wanted to stay at a moderate resort. We're leaving the kids at home on this trip and celebrating our 20th anniversary so we don't need kids activities but we'd like some romance. Back in '92 we went on our first trip and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings back then). We loved it and still think it's one of the nicest resorts we've stayed at.

We wanted to stay at a different resort this time. The reviews from the Unoffical Guide and online reviewers rank POFQ just as nice or nicer than Riverside. However, I was in the bookstore yesterday and started reading the the new Complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. Boy did they rake POFQ over the coals! According to them FQ is the resort to stay in when you can't get into any other moderate, the lobby looks like a warehouse for left over parade props and the whole resort looks like a cheap Disney Imitation. They gave FQ only one star ranking it below any other Disney Resort including the value resorts.

Don't believe what you read about POFQ my DH and I have spent many vacations there and at other Disney hotels, but we always come back to FQ. The size is perfect, the boat to DTD is a great way to get there. As far as the parade props, the food court does have props hanging from the rafters, but after all its Mardi Gras! themed in there. The lobby is not decorated that way, just the food court. CS is just to business like for me and way to spread out IMO. But, where every you decide to go, if you can make arrangements for the horse and buggy ride through Riverside and FQ its really nice and special way to celebrate some romantic time with your spouse. Enjoy! There's plenty of romantic places in the World.:)

Upvote 0

JEANYLASER

I did stay in Coronado Springs before! I don't like it because of bedbugs we had bedbugs in our room! I love POFQ that's why we are going to stay in POFQ for Dec 2-5, 2010!

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I love CSR because of the queen beds, deluxe amenities like the spa, fitness center and dance club.

CSR was completely renovated in 2009, everything is brand new including 32" LCD flat panel tv's.

CSR also has great bus service that is not shared with another resort.

A big thing for me is the rooms at CSR have central a/c, rather than the noisy in-room units at PO.

Upvote 0

JEANYLASER

buzz2001! I had stayed in CSR before but we check-in and we saw bedbugs in our rooms and then the tolets in the bathroom has water all over the floors! so we left and find other rooms in the CSR! and the phone is broken! we couldn't call anyone to help us! so we went to the lobby and tell the castmember to change our rooms and we got a good room and we are happy!

Upvote 0

CastleDreamer

DH and I stayed at CS last September. The rooms are now all remodeled and very nice. Especially enjoyed not having to upgrade to king bed room as queens are standard. For us, the convention center did not take away from our Disney experience. In fact, since there was a convention, I think it made for less lines at the bus stops in the mornings and a less crowded pool. We never had to wait for a second bus, there was always room on the first. We also noticed that the bus stops back to the resort seem to be closer to the parks than other moderates which helps after a long day of walking. We were fortunate to get a room in Building 9B in the Cabanas which was right by the food court, a bus stop, and not far at all from the pool. I have to say that I probably would not have been as happy if I was in the Ranchos section as it is quite a walk to the food court. We just booked another trip for this October and were close to booking PORS to try something different, but after looking at the pictures of the rooms, they look outdated and run down compared to the remodeled CS rooms. Decided to book CS again. Have stayed at CBR 4 times previously but felt the rooms there were also starting to look run down. Whatever you decide, have fun!!

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

DH and I stayed at CS last September. The rooms are now all remodeled and very nice. Especially enjoyed not having to upgrade to king bed room as queens are standard. For us, the convention center did not take away from our Disney experience. In fact, since there was a convention, I think it made for less lines at the bus stops in the mornings and a less crowded pool.
Exactly! I agree 100%. The convention aspect helps keep the buses and pools less crowded. The new rooms are fantastic!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom