Pop or upgrade to French Quarter

Yenfid

Original Poster
I currently have reservations at Pop Century in 2017. I am debating switching to upgrade to French Quarter. I have never stayed at Pop and seeing these post of the remodeled rooms at Pop has me worried, the murphy bed makes no sense to me. I have stayed at French Quarter and loved it, but is it really worth the extra $500? I know I have some time to decide since it is a year before I go. Oh, what to do? I know I need a room with two full beds at lease if not queens.

jprieur

Depends on how much time you spend in the room. If its just for sleeping and showering and you are a park commando rope drop to close, you will be fine at POP. $500 can get you a few TS meals that you might enjoy more that a nicer hotel room/grounds.

On the other hand, if you enjoy serenity and a more intimate hotel grounds to wind down at the end of a park day that FQ will suit you better. It definitely has a southern slower pace of life feel. I live in New Orleans only a few miles from the real FQ and find the resort pleasing! Also, if you think you will spend some time at Disney Springs go FQ, the boat service is so much better than the bus service.

Queen beds are really only an advantage over doubles if you are more than 1 to a bed.

LeighM

We spend more time at our resort the more often we go back, so for us the extra money for a moderate would be worth it. However, I actually prefer Riverside although it is a larger resort. We can more often find room discounts for Riverside than FQ and they share the same amenities.

BASS

I think it depends on whether you plan to do anything at the resort. If you will hit the pool or spend considerable time at the resort (be it eating, walking around, or otherwise enjoying resort property), then Port Orleans is a better bet because it's more tranquil. After a day at the park, it's nice to avoid the crowds that you'll get at the values. The common areas can be a zoo. (I have stayed at both.)

That said, its your vacation, your money. Hard for any of us to say you should upgrade to Port Orleans as opposed to diverting that money for something else, be it a nice meal or just saving the cash.

ryguy

Did you book your room at a rack rate? Or did you book under a discount? That will make a difference probably in your decision making. If you can swing it I always recommend a moderate over a value. Like others have said if you are a park commando then no need to spend a lot of money on a hotel room. Right now my two boys are 10 and 13 and really love water slides so we always stay at a hotel that has a slide. Values don't have slides so we usually stay somewhere other than a value. I also think that Pop's room are way to small. Its borderline cruise ship size. I was actually able to shut the door with my foot while laying in bed, and I am 5'8" o_O

J_Krafty24

My husband and I were faced with the same choice for our tip this year. We ended up going with French Quarter. The deciding factor was the queen size beds. Other factors were the larger rooms and bathroom space and the small resort size making it a reasonable walk to the food court and bus stop from even the farthest room.

zero creativity

I haven't stayed at POP but I have stayed at ASM and French Quarter. If money was not an issue I would stay at FQ. It has always seemed much more relaxing then the values. It is also small so there is no long walks from the bus stop to your room.

Tom 55

I have stayed at both Pop and French quarter. When I go to Disney and want a smaller budget I stay at Pop. When I have a little more money I go to French Quarter. Just came back from a 9/20 to 9/29 stay at FQ. One of the reasons that I pay extra to stay at FQ was that it has a hot tub. I would go early in the morning for a soak before starting my day. Now they have put up a big fence so you can only use it during the 9am to 10pm when life guards are on duty. No more using it at 7am. So I decided that from now on when we come to Disney I plan to stay at Pop. What really do you get for the extra $$ you spend?

Yenfid

Original Poster
I think I am going to upgrade to French Quarter. I think we will be happier with the bigger rooms and the Queen size beds. Plus the quietness of the resort and we have planned right now two pool days, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon evening. Thanks for the info you all provided. Plus, I just love the French Quarter!

Philsphan25

I currently have reservations at Pop Century in 2017. I am debating switching to upgrade to French Quarter. I have never stayed at Pop and seeing these post of the remodeled rooms at Pop has me worried, the murphy bed makes no sense to me.

Where were you able to find pictures of the refurbished rooms? I am staying in February and now I am a little anxious if they now have murphy beds and all. I did a few searches and have only found pictures from the 2010 refurbishment.

Rob562

officialtom

How many nights? Do you have any "down days" that you'll spend at the resort? I'm biased toward the PO resorts. Love them both and I would probably upgrade, based on how we schedule our days.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Did you book your room at a rack rate? Or did you book under a discount? That will make a difference probably in your decision making. If you can swing it I always recommend a moderate over a value. Like others have said if you are a park commando then no need to spend a lot of money on a hotel room. Right now my two boys are 10 and 13 and really love water slides so we always stay at a hotel that has a slide. Values don't have slides so we usually stay somewhere other than a value. I also think that Pop's room are way to small. Its borderline cruise ship size. I was actually able to shut the door with my foot while laying in bed, and I am 5'8" o_O

:eek:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Don't forget that with the PO resorts, you have the boat option to Disney Springs, which is nice if you have several ADRs (and shopping) there. Hint: if you end up staying at POR rather than FQ, walk over to French Quarter to pick up the boat. Why? Because they have to leave seats on the boat for the guests at FQ. Always a line around dinner time at the POR boat dock, but fewer guests waiting at FQ, in my experience.

If we hadn't become Deluxe snobs and DVC members, we'd still be staying at POR. For me, best of all Moderates. Have stayed at Pop and as other posters have said, it is a zoo in the AM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom