Pop Century Ghost Town - Why did construction Stop?

vb4hire

Original Poster
Stayed at Pop Century 2 weeks ago. Across the lake is where the second section is (was) being built. Basically a second resort under the same name.

The main building looks complete, but a brownish grey (clay?) color. Even the large years are up. Then 1000 yards away, close to the original pop century resort is 3 sections of new hotel... also in that brownish grey color (actually, morre brown than grey).

You can see pipe fittings coming out of the ground in other areas for new buildings.

So the weird thing is... No construction activity,in fact no construction equipment at all! Looks like no roads have been built. It has a strange look to it...sort've like a ghost town, but it almost looks like an army or firefighting training facility I've seen in the movies... where they build a fake town to train in without really caring about the look.

Seems odd to build the two sets of buildings and then just stop! Also seemed odd that there aren't other sections partially completed.

Can someone explain this ghost town?

brkgnews

Those are the "Legendary Years" (00s, 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s -- the current pop century is the "classic years" section with the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s).

As for why they stopped building...

September 11th, bad economy, travel slump, downward trend, blah blah blah.

bhg469

what they need to do is discount the rooms again, im talking the good good discount, 59 for value, 79 moderate and 129 for the big boys. those were the days... :sohappy:

rosebud's mom

I'll second that idea !! If they offered prices like that in the peak season, just imagine what they would be for us off-season travelers....... :sohappy:

bhg469 said:
what they need to do is discount the rooms again, im talking the good good discount, 59 for value, 79 moderate and 129 for the big boys. those were the days... :sohappy:

Yup, those were the days. But that's inflation for ya. :fork: :goodnevil

MissM

Well, when I was trying to get a reservation for Saturday May 14th, I couldn't because they were out. Had I been able to go Sunday-Monday instead, I could have gotten a FL resident rate of $139 on Wilderness Lodge. Which is a pretty darn good rate. Granted, I stayed there over a year ago at $119 but still, it's not an unreasonable amount (or increase) in the slightest.

Just couldn't do it Sun-Mon because Love used up his vacation days last month for knee surgery.
-m

righttrack

I think more aggresive value resort pricing would work in Disney's favor. We all know the drill, once you stay on property, you never want to stay off. Why not indocrinate more people in this manner? Plus think of all the daytrippers who would go multi-day on impulse if there were some deals.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
The only cause was Sept 11th. The other causes are all because of that.

As far as the discount discussion: They are no longer needed. Occupancy is almost always considered "high" now, and has been for all of 2005. Note: High occupancy also depends on the "season". It is not always the same amount of people on site.

Disneyland1970

I wonder how busy it has to get before they continue to build on the Legendary Years buildings. We love the PC resort and more choices would be great!

Hurricane

mousermerf said:
Indeed - I doubt it will get built though, it pulls away from higher cost rooms in the summer months.

Not quite, the jump from value to moderate can be a steep one if you are on a budget, and if you aren't (and are farmiliar with staying on property) it is unlikely that you will even consider a value resort. Personally I (a nearly broke Law student) would (and just did) plan a 1 day stay at Wilderness Lodge than a multi day stay at a value. People pay for the amenities associated with the resorts, I think value resorts displace bargain hunters who would stay off property rather than moderate or deluxe guests. If they are displacing Moderate/Deluxe guests then it is likely that rooms are unavailable in which case Disney needs to build more deluxe/moderate rooms

ToTBellHop

it's just such bad show, I feel, to just leave it there half-done. With occupancy rates back to high levels, I think they could support the other half of this resort, now. For the time being, though, they could at least put up a construction wall so it doesn't look like they just forgot about it. It looks really trashy, now. Even if they didn't want to open the Resort, they should at least finish it so that it looks nice, and then wait to open it until they feel the time is right.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Looks like they have A LOT of work left to do for phase 2 to be finished. How long ago did they build what is currently there? When I was there last September it was the same as it is now.Obviously they have more important things to deal with first. Oh well maybe one day it will be done.

speck76

bhg469 said:

although travelers might enjoy the lower rates.....lower rates do not create demand, and are not a good business practice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom