poly vs wilderness lodge

DisneyDavies

Original Poster
Hello! We have just booked a 4 night stay for January 9-13, 2017. It will be myself, my husband and 2 year old. We are looking to stay at either the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge. WL has me nervous due to construction! What would you book? Thanks so much!

ekutchey

We just left WL a few weeks ago. Honestly the construction is not the bad. Also if you book a courtyard view you will not even notice it. But with a standard view you will see some of the construction however with the trees gone you can watch the MK fireworks from your room and view MK and the monorail during the day. My recommendation would me WL, standard view and request a high level room when you book and when you check in online. And bonus with half the resort closed = half the crowd.

DisneyDavies

Original Poster
We just left WL a few weeks ago. Honestly the construction is not the bad. Also if you book a courtyard view you will not even notice it. But with a standard view you will see some of the construction however with the trees gone you can watch the MK fireworks from your room and view MK and the monorail during the day. My recommendation would me WL, standard view and request a high level room when you book and when you check in online. And bonus with half the resort closed = half the crowd.
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm just nervous about the boat system vs the monorail with our two year old and the stroller and ease of getting back to the room with her possibly napping? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply! I guess I'm just nervous about the boat system vs the monorail with our two year old and the stroller and ease of getting back to the room with her possibly napping? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it!
The monorail had been very unreliable as of late. Delays and closures are often. The boat and bus to WL (yes, there are always both forms of transportation to/from MK) are much more dependable, especially during the afternoon (nap) hours.

Poly is my favorite resort (we have stayed there several times over the last year) but the monorail issues have been frustrating and problematic for us. We have a WL stay booked for December.

bunnyman

I have stayed at both, with the WL most recently on a week-long trip the first week of August. While the construction there is obviously visible, it had no impact on our trip other than the ability to rent boats, nor was there any noticeable noise. I have also stayed at the Poly several times, and find both resorts are excellent for their own individual reasons. As someone else said, you can't beat the Poly being on the monorail, which the WL of course lacks. Also, I feel the dining options are much better at the Poly. The other major items that come into play when deciding where to stay are: 1) cost factor, as the Poly comes with a higher daily rate, and; 2) layout - the Poly is quite spread out vs. the WL being compact in one building (unless you're staying at the DVC). With the WL main building, you always have an inside walk to the lobby, food, shop, front desk, etc., while with the Poly you can be quite a ways from the main building. This was nice at the WL when the kids were little as if you needed something from your room and were at the pool, it was a quick round trip, as well as when you want to refill your mug. One time at the Poly we were in now what is the Pago Pago DVC villas, and to say it was a long walk to the main pool and building was an understatement. Lets just say it was a quicker walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to take the monorail from there. That being said, I still love the Poly and would stay there again; its just that in each of the last three years my family has voted for the WL over the Poly when given the choice.

Last edited:

DisneyDavies

Original Poster
Sounds great! Thanks for the replies! We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside back in June and loved it. But the busses were somewhat inconvenient. And we wanted to try something new!! I think I will book the Polynesian as I've always wanted to stay there! :happy:

DisneyPrincess5

Sounds great! Thanks for the replies! We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside back in June and loved it. But the busses were somewhat inconvenient. And we wanted to try something new!! I think I will book the Polynesian as I've always wanted to stay there! :happy:
Poly or WL-what a great predicament to be in, right!? We've stayed at both and honestly loved both. They're very different but both are "homey" and make ya feel enveloped in Disney magic.

Good thinking on the Poly. I think it offers added convenience and charm, especially with a little one. Have a great time!

EvilQueen-T

Love them both. It's like asking me to choose which of my kids is my favorite. We've stayed at WL twice during this round of construction and it didn't interfere with our trip at all. Haven't stayed at the poly since right at the beginning of their big overhaul. I love the monorail but in the past few years they've had earlier stop times etc...and I find it easier getting back to WL at the end of say extra magic house in particular than to the poly particularly when comparing boat to boat. The poly boat shares with the GF and it always goes to the GF first. WL sometimes shares with the campgrounds but WL gets dropped off first when gong to the resort.

BASS

Hello! We have just booked a 4 night stay for January 9-13, 2017. It will be myself, my husband and 2 year old. We are looking to stay at either the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge. WL has me nervous due to construction! What would you book? Thanks so much!

With a 2 year old, I'd stick to the Poly just because of the convenience and ease of the monorail. We stayed at WL in May and while the boat is cool for the kids in and of itself, there were at least a couple instances of seemingly interminable delays waiting for it to arrive. In the heat, it wasn't so pleasant.

alliemoose

We've stayed at both the Poly and WL last January in the DVC portions. While I love both, I feel that WL is great in the colder months as the fireplaces are wonderful! The buses were quick and the boat ride was relaxing. There is just something about WL that draws me in with all of its charm and scenery! I felt a lot more relaxed at WL as it had a slower pace in its main lobby. I do love Poly as well for its tropical theming and dole whip, but the resort is more spread out and may not be as close as you were hoping for transport. You really can't go wrong with either. But for the colder months, with weather that can be unpredictable, I would vote for WL.

DisneyJunkie

There is definitely a price difference (Poly = more $), but if you can do it, I'd pick the Polynesian. Both are beautifully themed, are in a great location, but the Poly being on the monorail line is a huge plus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom