Poly Lobby

Tinkerbell397

Original Poster
Just made ADR's for lunch at the Kona Cafe. Can anyone tell me what the lobby looks like and how much construction is going on. I love The Kona Cafe for breakfast so I thought we would try it for lunch. Thanks and have a Magical Day! :cat:

ratherbeinwdw

We stayed there this weekend. We just got back last night. There are walls, but they've added large artwork which takes away the construction feel somewhat. The whole outside around the pool all the way down the dock and across the area outside Capt's Cooks etc are walls. I have pictures I will upload when I get a chance. The wall starts at the steps to the Ceremonial house by Tonga and goes all the way to the other side of the Ceremonial House. I thought it would just be around the pool area and the beach, not right up by the Ceremonial House totally across the property and down the dock. We never made it to the other side, so I don't know what walls are up on that side.
As to Kona, it looks really nice and inviting.

Avenger117

Its fine, we at at Kona and Ohana last week. The lobby is behind walls, but it doesn't take away from the experience, just looks like a hallway. Its actually really well done.

Clamman73

This is what it looked like on 9/29 looking from Tambu lounge/Ohana towards Kona.
Konacafe2014 (1 of 1).jpg

s&k'smom

I'm just so glad a took a stroll around the poly last October before they began the construction. Saddens me a little I have to admit. I would love to see more pictures.

Mr. Toad

IMG_0209.JPG
We just got back on Sunday from a 7 night stay at the Poly and while things are a bit cramped we really enjoyed our stay. We did not eat at the Kona Cafe but we did eat at the Kona Island and it was fine. The biggest things I noticed were the lack of the sound from the waterfalls and the fact that with the walls up in the center the space is darker due to the lack of light from the skylights.

We had a room in Aotearoa which is sort of removed from the construction. Once you get west of the marina there is no construction going on but you do have to walk through it to get to the GCH. This is a view from the stairs of our building looking back towards the pool.

Last edited:

Mr. Toad

IMG_0239.JPG
This is a view from the walking path to the Grand Floridian. On this side of the Poly (by the Luau Cove) things look normal.

Mr. Toad

And finally this is one of the walls around the center of the lobby. I found the artwork on the walls to help distract a bit from the fact that the construction was going on.
IMG_0257.JPG

rkelly42

Sorry to say but with the walls up and all the construction the place is a disaster. There is no way i can go back to the Poly until the smoke has cleared. I for one will be sad to see the water feature in the lobby gone but understand things needed to be updated.

Polydweller

Sorry to say but with the walls up and all the construction the place is a disaster. There is no way i can go back to the Poly until the smoke has cleared. I for one will be sad to see the water feature in the lobby gone but understand things needed to be updated.
It is not a disaster. We've been here for a week and having a terrific trip. There is a lot of construction and this is not our normal trip. Still relaxing and enjoyable. The construction only gets in your way if you let it. The place will start getting back to normal early nrxt year. This trip just makes us want to come back to see the changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom