Poll: Which is your favorite Trader Sam's?

Pick Your Favorite Trader Sam's

• Enchanted Tiki Bar (DLR)

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Grog Grotto (WDW)

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Have you had the chance to visit both venues? Which one is your favorite and why?

D.Silentu

I'm refraining from placing a vote because I have never been to the WDW version. As I understand it though, the WDW facility is bigger. Earlier in the year there was a rumor that Disneyland's would expand, but it turned out to be wishful thinking. Seeing the place bursting at the seams every time I'm there, I think our Trader Sams could learn a thing or two from WDW, and I hope an expansion is in the cards. Otherwise I'm very fond of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I loved DLR's Trader Sam's when it opened. It was a hidden gem with great drinks and had a kinda hip vibe. The last time I visited (two years ago) we had difficulty finding a seat and the service was awful. It's still one of the best bars as DLR (which isn't saying much considering how few there are), but not at the top of my list like it once was. Same for The Cove Bar. Oh for the days back when it was operated by Wolfgang Puck and you could pretty much grab a seat at the bar whenever you wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

dweezil78

They're both pretty cool and hold their own IMO with unique touches. Florida's isn't really all that much bigger. They do have the added plus of outdoor seating on the water, but, much like ours in Disneyland -- if you're outside, you're not really going to get the Trader Sam's experience.

To me, what ultimately makes the Disneyland location win is its hours of operation. WDW's doesn't open until 4! I love hitting TS's for a mid-day drink and appetizer or two before the crazy crowds descend. Can't do that in Florida sadly. :(

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have been to both and I like both too. The WDW isn't that much bigger but I like the the DL is smaller. The DL probably has a softer spot in my heart because it was the first I went to, and the DL one also has the scrumptious Chinese long beans!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, between the two, I prefer the California version. The WDW version looks and feels to me like a clone that didn't quite make it thru the process without a slight mutation. Kind of like the Mercury version of a Ford, or the GMC version of the Chevy...

Plus, the CA version of ahi poke is just great -- flavorful marinated fish on a bed of avocado served with crispy won ton chips... FL hasn't figured that one out yet. The closest I've found is the ahi tuna nachos at Yak 'N' Yeti, which are also killer.

mikenatcity1

As much as I like the original, I like the overall atmosphere, arrangement and interaction at WDW better. The cast members said it takes up about the same amount of space, but the way it was arranged changed the feel. There are a lot more items that can be seen/happen when certain drinks are ordered. One thing I don't like- in order to get the cup, you have to order that exact drink (DL I was able to order anything and still get the cup).

WEDwaydatamover

I've only been to the Grotto at the Polynesian. I'm a bit of a tiki snob and was a little disappointed. It's still much better than most out there but missing something???

I'm looking forward to a few days in Anaheim this October. I'm planning on making Trader Sams my daily escape or two or three.

How are the early crowds on weekdays? From open until 3 or 4?

Antaundra

I've only been to the Grotto at the Polynesian. I'm a bit of a tiki snob and was a little disappointed. It's still much better than most out there but missing something???

I'm looking forward to a few days in Anaheim this October. I'm planning on making Trader Sams my daily escape or two or three.

How are the early crowds on weekdays? From open until 3 or 4?

Afternoon crowds are usually pretty light. Wait for a seat at the bar and talk to the bar tenders most of them have their own signature drinks that I enjoy more than what's on the menu.

21stamps

They're both pretty cool and hold their own IMO with unique touches. Florida's isn't really all that much bigger. They do have the added plus of outdoor seating on the water, but, much like ours in Disneyland -- if you're outside, you're not really going to get the Trader Sam's experience.

To me, what ultimately makes the Disneyland location win is its hours of operation. WDW's doesn't open until 4! I love hitting TS's for a mid-day drink and appetizer or two before the crazy crowds descend. Can't do that in Florida sadly. :(

I actually prefer the patio.. relaxing listening to a Ukulele is a perfect early evening for me.
*in WDW haven't been to the Disneyland one.

WEDwaydatamover

Thanks Antaundra! I definitely will try to sit at the bar. The Trader Sams at the Polynesian is usually so packed that a pick of seats has rarely been an option in my experiences.

It's hardly relaxing having to sit at a group of strangers surfboard table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom