Pleasure Island ?

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
I read somewhere that Pleasure Island is admission free for now, but you have to pay for the nightclubs. Is that true; if so what is the cost of admission to the clubs?

My wife and I have not been to Pleasure Island for a couple years due to rumors of rowdy groups and gangs prowling the Downtown Disney area on weekends. When we were at WDW in April DD was OK, but did seem to see a lot of young men and women with "wife beater" t-shirts, big blue tatoos and huge necklaces roaming around and punching each others closed fists for no apparent reason. Not one of them was humming It's a Small World, or wearing MM ears. What's up with this? Are gangs a problem in Orlando now? Also saw this at Universal's Citywalk.

Rosso11

I have never experienced a problem at Pleasure Island as far as gangs are concerned. I really just can't see them hanging out at Disney to much. Believe it or not those rowdy teens you speak of are more than likely off duty cast members especially College Program Kids. You would be very surprised how different they are out of work, Not that there bad there just normal teens.

LadyDarling

I agree. My husband and I visit Pleasure Island often - nearly nightly during out visits. We have never seen that problem you spoke of. In fact, the only people with poor behavior were the few adults who had 1 too many in the Comedy Club - and I have to attest to Disney's discretion. One moment the guy was making remarks that don't belong anywhere Disney (the comedians did a great job of shutting him down), and the next time I looked up, he and his tipsy party were no longer seated in the building. :)
I feel very safe there.

1disneydood

The house of blues "regulars" may seem scary to some of y'all. :lol: My wife was like "get me outta here, get me outta here now!!" :rolleyes:

I on the other hand worked the door at several clubs in the French Quarter for years. I fear NOBODY'S "look". :D

aimster

Since nobody answered the other part of your question, it's I believe $20.50 plus tax (per person) for admission to the clubs at Pleasure Island. The price is for access to all the clubs there.

I've been to Downtown Disney many times and I've never seen these rowdy teenagers you've mentioned. I have seen alot of locals dressed up like pimps and hookers in flashy/gaudy outfits on the weekends though. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry. I have no idea who they were trying to impress with their hiddeous "club wear", but I sure wasn't. I can be a major clothes horse and glamour junkie, but I would not have been caught dead in most fo what I've seen some of these people wear when they go to Pleasure Island.

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
My wife and I were not "afraid" of the young people by any means. Perhaps they were afraid of me. I was a JD (juvenile delinquent) in my teens. I worked with teenagers (many, many now in jail or prison, while others are doctors, lawyers, or just plain folk) for 35 years as an educator. We were just wondering what they were doing walking around seemingly aimlessly punching each others fists as they walked past each other. Maybe it was their way of saying hello. We were walking from the early show of La Nouba to the Disney Store and supper and back and two hours later the same 20 or so persons were there still walking. While I love WDW I could not spend 2+ hours walking up and down the same stretch of pavement. In the old days (50's and 60's) it was called loitering and the police would tell you to get going somewhere else or they would take you to jail, or if you were unlucky and didn't move fast enough you would get to taste the billy club or slap jack (a giant leather keyholder looking thing with a lead weight at the end) they would gently apply to your head, buttocks, or back. I could move rather quickly in my youth.

We'll give PI a try in October and will let everyone know what's what.

P.S. I did not say the young people were rowdy. I heard the rumor from some locals we met at Epcot who advised us to stay away from PI on weekends.

P.P.S. These youth were not off-duty CP CM's as most had facial hair and/or rather long sideburns, but maybe their girlfriends/wives were.

adr315

It's pretty hypocritical to judge people based on looks. Most men wear "wife beaters" at one point or another (especially in FL's scorching heat) and a lot of people have tattooes. Doesn't make them bad people, or gang members.

I've been to Downtown Disney dozens of times on weekend nights, and have been to several hip-hop concerts at House of Blues, and never had a problem with anyone, ever...

ILOVEDISNEY

Original Poster
adr315 said:
It's pretty hypocritical to judge people based on looks. Most men wear "wife beaters" at one point or another (especially in FL's scorching heat) and a lot of people have tattooes. Doesn't make them bad people, or gang members.

I've been to Downtown Disney dozens of times on weekend nights, and have been to several hip-hop concerts at House of Blues, and never had a problem with anyone, ever...

Whoa! I was not judging anyone if you are referrering to me. I just was curious what the attraction would be in that area of WDW. I guess I overlooked the House of Blues as a possible venue. I am not familiar with the shows there. I guess some people would be afraid of my old man because he wears wife beaters, but he is 82. However, I guess you would call him a gang member in his youth. He can still swing a wicked baseball bat, the weapon of choice in the 30's and 40's in his 'hood.

mrtoad

ILOVEDISNEY said:
Whoa! I was not judging anyone if you are referrering to me. I just was curious what the attraction would be in that area of WDW. I guess I overlooked the House of Blues as a possible venue. I am not familiar with the shows there. I guess some people would be afraid of my old man because he wears wife beaters, but he is 82. However, I guess you would call him a gang member in his youth. He can still swing a wicked baseball bat, the weapon of choice in the 30's and 40's in his 'hood.

The term wife beater though is a bit much, don't you think. I don't wear them and I don't beat or have ever beaten my wife, I just think that might be a little bit much is all. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom