Planning Cape May Cafe

mickeyfan1

Original Poster
Hi everybody. I'm doing some planning for an upcoming trip for myself and family. My sister and brother inlaw will be coming with us for the first time. They both really enjoy crab legs. I was wondering what everybodys thoughts are about cape may cafe and also if they always have crab legs on the buffett?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You'll get lots of nay sayers about Cape May, but if you use a modicum of situational awareness you'll be fine and have a great meal. My wife loves crab legs (to me ? Meh) so its a given we'll dine there for Dinner at least once during our stay.

I grew up in coastal Georgia so blue crab and me go way back.. I can shuck a bushel without leaving more than a few tiny bits of shell quickly. The secret to get the best crab at Cape May is to watch for the steamer hood in the center isle opening with a big cloud of stream... thats when you go get your legs. Don't get those that have been sitting in the pan for a while because they turn to mush. If you need a test to know if its old, bend a leg near the knuckle to see if it snaps or just bends... if it bends its old and not going to make you happy. Now for the clams its just the opposite... you wan them to rest and relax a bit, otherwise its like eating hot bits of eraser.

Personally I make a meal out of the Clams, tomato bisque soup and dessert bar.

Phonedave

They always have crab legs - that's their draw.

I have been once, and can say without question, it was by far the worst meal I have ever had at WDW.

It may have just been a bad night, but very over cooked sea food, clams with more sand than clam, very poor service, and defrosted soggy overly sweet desserts did not make for a good time.

-dave

plaz10

I went in May 2011. We really enjoyed the food. The crab legs & mac n cheese on the kids buffet were the favorites as far as hot foods.

The oreo bon bons were one of the best desserts we encountered all week.

It wasn't the best seafood buffet we've ever been to but we enjoyed it. But the service was not very good. And I saw on a menu they had a lobster tortellini and they did not on the night we were there. Disappointed in that too.

Overall - good stuff.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I ate there last month for the first time and loved it. I think my family devoured well over 30 clusters of legs. It seems from reviews that it is hit or miss. Or either the negatives are just used to Red Lobster.

Pan

Hi everybody. I'm doing some planning for an upcoming trip for myself and family. My sister and brother inlaw will be coming with us for the first time. They both really enjoy crab legs. I was wondering what everybodys thoughts are about cape may cafe and also if they always have crab legs on the buffett?

If they really enjoy crab legs, I would stay clear of Cape May. The quality is mediocre. Flying Fish Cafe at Boardwalk would be my choice.

vjgraham

Of course everyone has their own opinions but we love the place. Crab legs are my favorite thing to eat and the other items have been good too. It is expecially convenient since we stay at Beach Club quite often. It is an even better value if you are on the dining plan. I have been at least 6 times and have never been disappointed. Last visit was May 2011 and we already have reservations for may 2012. Hope this helps.

Phonedave

I ate there last month for the first time and loved it. I think my family devoured well over 30 clusters of legs. It seems from reviews that it is hit or miss. Or either the negatives are just used to Red Lobster.

Now I am confused.

I would put Cape May Cafe in the same class as Red Lobster - cheap seafood.

-dave

Tinkerbell 8

We went to Cape May Cafe for the first time Jan 2011 and we LOVED it. Everything at the buffet was delicious, the different salads, the carved meats, and of course the seafood. I ate a ton of the crab legs and they were very good. I wouldnt say it was the best meal we've ever had, at Disney or at home, but it was very good and it is on our list to do again.

JIMINYCR

We have enjoyed the selection of foods at Cape May. Our wait staff have always been pleasant and attentive to our table. When he was younger, my son could be fussy about what he would eat and we never had a problem with filling him up there. We still add it into our possible dining spots.

Been there a few times. Loved the seafood. Service has been great every time. You have to understand that seafood is like family at the holiday's, after a short period of time, things start to go bad. As mentioned by another member, get it while it is fresh and hot and you will love it.
Going back two more times next week to get my crab on.

Phonedave

I think any restaurant review based on 1 visit can be skewed, We always eat there and have no complaints.

I normaly feel the same way, but the one time I went EVERYTHING was wrong.

Poor service

Just about every item on the buffet was medicore or worse. Really, the clams were so full of sand it was crazy. I have never seen clams that sandy in my life.

The buffet itself was a mess, it is a poor layout and it looked like people had a food fight there - the whole time I was there.

The desserts - really, thats they best they can do? Instant chocolate pudding mixed with coolwhip, stuck on an Oreo, covered in cheap chocolate and then stored in a freezer until they defrost it so it becomes sweaty and soggy. And this is what they are "famous" for. ALL the desserts were of this fine quality.

As I said, it if was one or two things I would have chalked it up to a bad night. Either this was the perfect storm of restaruant hell, or it just has to be bad consistently.

-dave

Yanks07

I normaly feel the same way, but the one time I went EVERYTHING was wrong.

Poor service

Just about every item on the buffet was medicore or worse. Really, the clams were so full of sand it was crazy. I have never seen clams that sandy in my life.

The buffet itself was a mess, it is a poor layout and it looked like people had a food fight there - the whole time I was there.

The desserts - really, thats they best they can do? Instant chocolate pudding mixed with coolwhip, stuck on an Oreo, covered in cheap chocolate and then stored in a freezer until they defrost it so it becomes sweaty and soggy. And this is what they are "famous" for. ALL the desserts were of this fine quality.

As I said, it if was one or two things I would have chalked it up to a bad night. Either this was the perfect storm of restaruant hell, or it just has to be bad consistently.

-dave
If I had an experience like that it would be hard for me to give it a second try too. I can't comment on dessert as I'm not much of a sweets eater and have never tried them, but we haven't had any of the issues you mention. We will be there again Tuesday for another try, Hopefully its up to par, my boys love that place.

BeachClubNut

Use to be good, food has progressivly gotten worse in last 2 years, now that they have raised the meal price its just not worth it. Carving stations have dry meat. ( under a heat light too long) not nearly as much steamers and mussels cooked. We are Bcv owners go there 3 times a year and have eaten there and each trip it has lost its value, it use to be the best value on property, now I the price is no wheres near the quality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom