Planning a Trip for a Disney Hater

juliaf08

Hi Everyone! I'm working on planning a (potential) trip for me and my boyfriend. I am an avid Disney World lover and my boyfriend claims to "hate" all things Disney World. I tend to not believe him because he hasn't actually ever been to Disney, but he says he doesn't like thrill rides, theme parks, zoos or crowds. I grew up going to Disney and have been 10+ times. I'm hoping that I'll be able to help him see that Disney isn't your typical theme park. Does anyone have any suggestions on things he might like, where we should stay or any other tips? Thanks so much!

Tomi-Rocket

Here’s your tip - get a new Disney loving BF! Lol...JK, but please be prepared for him to not switch over to the light side. Not everyone who goes sees what we do. But I will keep my fingers crossed for you that he does!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Raegansmommy

We live near Cedar Point and I consider this to be an amusement park filled with thrill rides. Disney, is Disney! A lot of attractions that people of all ages can enjoy. Plan the trip based on that. Show him the experiences and leave out the "Thrill rides".

Upvote 0

Qscout

Try not to hype it up too much. That way he definitely wont be disappointed.

I wouldn’t have been a big disney fan, but after going on honeymoon absolutely love it. A lot of that was finding the magic for myself and not having it thrust upon me, being told what I’d love how amazing something is, just letting it happen.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

I definitely wouldn't talk his ear off about it, but I'd try and plan/book things that fit with his non-Disney interests. Like maybe a certain resort has a theme that seems more him, or maybe you can narrow down a handful of restaurants that fit his tastes. Above all, while you want some flexibility in your plan (since he may decide he likes it ;)), have a strong plan for things like FPs, food, touring, etc. so things like crowds don't impact him as much. In his case, if crowds bug him, I might avoid rope drop (because even a light day seems heavier when everyone is clustered together), I might consider dessert parties for fireworks (or a meal with a view of them...like Cali Grill), and pick your time of year carefully.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

Don't overthink it too much. Just make sure he experiences a variety of attraction types. As a veteran, you'll be able to facilitate this with Fastpass bookings and acting as a tour guide.

You can't necessarily convince him that Peter Pan, Space Mountain, or Spaceship Earth are different and better than what he might think of as typical theme park attractions. Either he'll feel that way, or he won't.

Build some things into the trip you know he'll like as well. If he likes water parks, shopping, golfing, or lounging by the pool for example, those are things one can do at WDW. Don't go the theme park commando route.

Upvote 0

Lensman

I think people have given you some great suggestions! My contribution is a different take, but that doesn't mean that I think it's the right approach, it's just a different one to think about. I will note that the idea was inspired by @JenniferS's most recent trip report, specifically the phrase, “Whatever you want, Baby.”

I want to go under the assumption that he really cares about you, and *wants to make you happy*. Going by this, the strategy is to think about the WDW activities that genuinely *make you really happy* and then to cull the list to avoid things that are genuinely super-unpleasant for him. For example, if you love Illuminations: Reflections of Earth, but standing/sitting for hours in a crowd waiting for it to start is going to be really unpleasant for him, it's time to spring for the cupcake party. If going on ToT makes you deliriously happy but he doesn't like thrill rides (but doesn't find them unpleasant), then get a FP+ for ToT. He will be happy to have made you so happy.

That's my idea.

So what do *you* love the most about WDW?

Note: Make sure to intersperse these things with some slow, quiet Table Service ADRs or some pool time. Or maybe even a side trip to experience the Potter attractions over at Universal.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom