Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Princess Leia

Box office prediction for the weekend is $80 million domestically, $150M-$175M internationally.

Tbh, I feel like that's a little high. But I've been wrong before, so who knows. I think it will definitely be #1 at the Box Office this weekend, but for this weekend only, since Wonder Woman comes out next weekend.

Captain Barbossa

Box office prediction for the weekend is $80 million domestically, $150M-$175M internationally.

Tbh, I feel like that's a little high. But I've been wrong before, so who knows. I think it will definitely be #1 at the Box Office this weekend, but for this weekend only, since Wonder Woman comes out next weekend.
Our only competition is baywatch

Jahona

Original Poster
Huh I hadn't actually checked the aggregator sites, just the random reviews on my browsing the internet. Most of them were fairly neutral or semi positive. I didn't really see a review that bashed the movie. Either way I've got tickets for Saturday and plan to have a big bucket of popcorn.

Princess Leia

Huh I hadn't actually checked the aggregator sites, just the random reviews on my browsing the internet. Most of them were fairly neutral or semi positive. I didn't really see a review that bashed the movie. Either way I've got tickets for Saturday and plan to have a big bucket of popcorn.
My friends and I are planning various Pirates watch parties over the weekend, but idk when the plan is to watch 5. I might try to on Friday.

Tick Tock

Critics are trashing this movie.
Yeah it's not looking good. One of the newer ones from today:

"If it were better - if it were merely a neutral experience - it might be called a waste of time. But sitting in a theater fighting restless leg syndrome is more than a waste of time; it's actively unpleasant." -Mick LaSalle San Francisco Chronicle

A lot of other reviews (even positive ones) are saying this franchise needs to be docked for good (pun intended). I'll see for myself sometime next week. Definitely lowering any expectations.

Captain Barbossa

Yeah originally it was predicted $120M here in the U.S. but it's gone down to $85M. Some are saying $200M or more international. I hope we could at least get $100M domestic.

Princess Leia

Opening line in the local film review: "Indeed, the only appreciation for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is a damning one: It somehow manages to be worse than the already low expectations set for it."

It's currently at 28% on Rotten Tomatoes (quite a drop from yesterday's 35%), so I'm going into this thing with the lowest expectations imaginable, and I hope I can at least partially enjoy it.

Last edited:

Sonic Sunglasses

There is an anti-Depp movement among critics. Alice got destroyed last year by critics, but achieved an A- cinemascore and was pretty good IMHO. Richard Roeper, who I trust, gave Pirates a good review. I think it will be an enjoyable movie.
I've noticed this as well. The critics who trash PotC5 seem to be doing so as an op-ed on Depp's private and professional woes. Those who actually judge the film on its merits generally like it and rate it favourably. I for one am really looking forward to seeing it this coming Monday.

pirateship.gif

Tick Tock

If this conspiracy theory is true, and critics are simply out to get Depp personally, and not because the film itself is underwhelming, then they must REALLY be out for Dwayne Johnson's blood, as Baywatch now sits at 21% on RT.

I plan on seeing Pirates sometime early next week, and will find out then whether I enjoy the film, or if I'm somehow part of the anti-Depp movement.

SJN1279

I just saw Pirates and loved it. The movie was a lot of fun and a fitting end to the series. I went with about 20 people, and 19 loved it, the other thought it betrayed some things in earlier Pirates. Def go see it!

Captain Barbossa

The soundtrack is good, but I was a little disappointed. A good majority of it is Carina's theme (which isn't too bad) and Salazar's theme (which sounds like a spinoff of Blackbeard's theme). A lot of it is new, which I was expecting, but I had hoped for a little more of the classic stuff. I still think that Geoff did a good job. Maybe my opinion will improve when I see the movie this afternoon.

Princess Leia

The soundtrack is good, but I was a little disappointed. A good majority of it is Carina's theme (which isn't too bad) and Salazar's theme (which sounds like a spinoff of Blackbeard's theme). A lot of it is new, which I was expecting, but I had hoped for a little more of the classic stuff. I still think that Geoff did a good job. Maybe my opinion will improve when I see the movie this afternoon.
I'm seeing it this evening :) Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom