Pirata y el Perico update

madge

mousermerf said:
In short - and turtle speak...

The dude who runs MK is an Epicurean-type dude. His hobby is food, little blue. It's like an obssession, cha? But not like OCD but totally like: Whoa - open a new restaurant as often as possible, whoa - that didn't work close it dude.

LOLOL...

Will they take the MYW dining credits at this buffet? Anyone know?

shoppingnut

I have heard of Kansas City steak before and it is good. The menu looks really good, I'm just disappointed that I'll be arriving on 10/6 and not be able to try it. I think MK needs another sit down restaurant and this menu I like better than LTT. LTT is too much like thanksgiving food which I don't care for, but this is a BBQ menu which sounds really good.

I've never been to Pirata y Perico because it has never been open when I was there. It's hard to have a restaurant do regular business when it is hardly ever open or just spontaneously. People just don't think about going because they don't want to walk all the way back there to find it's closed, so they skip it.

MKCustodial

dflye said:
So if you were a visitor from outside of the US (which is a not too small percentage of WDW visitors!) what the heck would that steak description mean to you? :veryconfu :lookaroun

Yes, the correct answer is absolutely nothing!

You're absolutely correct! Just like a porterhouse, a New York strip or any of the other names you mentioned (except maybe t-bone). When that happens, you usually have two courses of action:

1) Try to spot a picture of the dish you're interested in, or better yet, spy someone ordering it.

2) Locate a CM and ask him/her about the different types.

Down here, it happens all the time. I think it's an American thing to have your food spelled out for you on the menu. :lol: It's becoming more common nowadays, though.

celestia

mousermerf said:
Steak from Kansas perhaps?

Which brings to question what a land-locked state has to do with pirates or parrots...

Thats what we over at Pirates are wondering about...

what on earth does this menu have to do with the themeing at all?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't think the menu is necessarily about theming... more about what's readily available and palatable to most guests

celestia

mkt said:
I don't think the menu is necessarily about theming... more about what's readily available and palatable to most guests

quite true, you must admit though that the mexican food will be well missed!

cuteazabutton74

Oh my God. I really never had the time to go eat at the Pirata y el perico. I always wanted to eat there but always ended up eating somewhere else. Too bad.

Cary

dox

Hopefully this won't last, as interesting as it sounds. My family and I LOVE Pirata. I only discovered it a few years ago thanks to my sis in law and i've been fortunate enough that its been open every time i've been to WDW in the last few years.

Although I agree, not quite sure how this type of food, as delish as it sounds, has anything to do with the surrounding theme, just curious why they didn't try to open up the old Adventureland Verandah rest. which hasn't been open since the mid90s.

mrtoad

celestia said:
quite true, you must admit though that the mexican food will be well missed!

Sadly it won't be missed by me as it is never, ever, ever open when we go. I have wanted to try it for years but never have been able to.

AEfx

dflye said:
Ok, I'm sure you've heard of those parts of speech known as nouns and adjectives, right?

Wow, what is with this arrogance? Just because it's something you've never heard of before is not a reason for them to remove the description from the menu, LOL. Just a hint, but when you are a new member somewhere talking to people like that is really frowned upon and won't win you much support.

dflye said:
Steak is a noun. Churro is a noun. Dole-whip is a noun.

Thank you very much for that clarification. I was already pretty set on that information, however. I was not associating by word type, but simply using examples of other items people may not be familiar with since you made such a production out of not knowing what a Kansas City steak was and International visitors.

dflye said:
So how exactly is the adjective Kansas City supposed to further describe what kind of steak I'll see on the buffet? :veryconfu

Just like ANY steak description does. Really, I don't get what your problem is with this except for the fact that you didn't know what it meant. Is that why your reaction is so strong? Do you lash out like this any time you don't understand something right away?

dflye said:
I'm not saying that WDW shouldn't serve whatever kind of steak this is, they should either describe it in a universally known manner, or just call it a streak (hopefully grilled to order, as I want mine to MOO when it is served! :lol: ), plain and simple.

Kanasas City Steaks are pretty universally known in this country and around the world. For whatever reason you haven't heard of them. To most people it means a high quality steak of a certain type. Personally, I'd NEVER buy a steak that was just listed as "steak" (I'm assuming you had a typo above and don't want us to start calling steak "streak") - more details the better.

Just because it's something you aren't personally familiar with, doesn't mean it's not valid. And, like anything, smart people instead of attacking things they don't know do one simple thing - they ask.

AEfx

shmmrname

While I too will miss Pirata y el Perico's old menu, I think it's awesome the venue is showing signs of life again. The last time I visited, last Thanksgiving, it was closed. We were pretty upset, as the previous times we had lucked into a MK visit with it running. The food was good and cheap, which was a huge plus.
What is better though is the location. The themeing of the building(s) is beatiful, and a well-themed sit-down restaurant should thrive there. The traffic is much less congested in that area of the park, yet it still is just as heavily themed and vibrant.
I do hope they eventually tie-in the menu better with the surrounding attractions and environment. This could be a little move that ends up as something much larger in scope. I've always felt MK deserved more quality eating options, and this could be a step in that direction. It shows real promise, in my opionion at least.

ALSO: In an unrelated musing, if you've seen Kingsford's latest commercials (running for I believe over 1-2 years), then you are well aware that KS, Lenexa to be exact, is quite famous for its barbeque. Kingsford is a fairly recognizable name when speaking of barbeque, grilling, etc., and I think that if they have chosen to spotlight Lenexa, maybe the Kansas cut of steak really isn't all that confounding.
In addition, menu items really don't always have to be billboards for what it entails. Sometimes just little hints or key words can be much more appetizing, giving you an emotional reaction to the item. It's all a matter of taste, as sometimes I want the full break-down, and other times I'd be much happier with a Pineapple Float.

nibblesandbits

mkt said:
Don't know if it's been posted or not... anyway, el Pirata y el Perico will be a buffet for the next few weeks... no reservations are being taken (I BELIEVE!!), rather strictly walkins there. Anyway, the menu looked ok... here's some pics from there.

Here's a pic of the menu, and of the outdoor seating area. It started tonight, and I honestly don't know how long this will go for.

Wow...that menu doesn't look to bad. I would definitely consider eating there if the menu stuck.

Pioneer Hall

I also think that the restaurant will belong in frontierland with that menu. The food is much more "western" as opposed to adventureland type.

dxwwf3

Ok this menu looks like it would be the best meal on Disney property for me. It's so refreshing to see a WDW menu that includes plain and simple food. I like every single thing on this menu (except for the salads) and if this is still running in December, there is no doubt in my mind we will be eating here. And if you can use the DDE card, it would be a steal. Le Cellier and 50's Prime Time Cafe might have to move aside and Pirata ye el Perico could be my new favorite spot at WDW. I certainly hope that this menu goes relatively unchanged and this will be around for a long time.

surfsupdon

I'm just glad to see it open again regularly. It's always open during Christmas Week for me, but I know it closes soon after.

I've always really liked the name of that place, so I'm happy it's open.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I too will miss the mexican food, especially the Taco Salad (what a deal!)

However, I do welcome the change especially if it means that they will have more consistent hours/days.

robhedin

My wife and I drove over to MK last night for dinner and fireworks and decided to give this new menu a shot.

There were many confused people looking for tacos (because that's what the guide map said) that were a bit put off by the prices, but the wait wasn't bad (less than 10 minutes, and they appeared to be taking reservations now too) and the food was quite tasty. It was actualy quite nice to have a sit down meal al fresco amid the sounds of Adventureland.

The chicken was pretty much chicken-- good but nothing to write home about; the ribs were very tasty, although I liked them much more than my wife did (she much prefers very tender, fall of the bone babybacks). The steak tasted very good as well, with the chef preparing them to order. The wife really dug the cheese cake and key lime pie.

There were only two complaints that seemed wide-spread: (1) they provided drinks in fairly small (real) glasses with lots of ice, and getting a refill was a task as the servers were fairly busy; and (2) they only provided dull little butter knives when they really needed steak knives; it was actually quite amusing to watch people give up trying to cut their steaks and just resort to picking up the darn thing and eating it like it was corn on the cob.

Overall, we gave it two thumbs up, and would definitely go back again especially since they do accept the DDE card.

dxwwf3

Thanks for the review robhedin. If this is running in December, there is no way we will miss this buffet. How were the side dishes, in your opinion? All of them seemed to be right on target for this kind of meal. Cornbread, baked beans, corn on the cob, Disney Mac and Cheese. Man it doesn't get any better than that :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom