Pin Trading On Its Last Leg?

PortOrleans

Original Poster
In recent years, it has become increasingly apparent that pin trading is not what it used to be. On previous trips, in the early 2000s, you would often see people who would come with multiple lanyards to trade with guests and cast members. However, these days cast members tend to have the same pins, and fewer guests can be seen pin trading. Secondly, the quality of pins has been decreasing. Quality has always been a key aspect of Disney's brand. Therefore when I see official pins having the same quality as scrapper pins, it is worrying. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

JIMINYCR

I agree that many CM's are carrying similar pins. That could be because so many guests are buying discount multiple pin lots on ebay and that floods the parks with those pins. But I havent seen a decrease in guests trading pins, and there can be quality pins still to be found if you continue to look around. I've still been able to find some great pins on CM lanyards and at the resort pin boards. And some great pins can be found on other guests lanyards as well.... I actively trade with other guests and dont limit myself to trading only with CM's. Not only gets me some great pins but gets me into some great conversations with guests from all over. Theres still enough interest and excitement in pin trading that it will stay around and will keep it alive.

PortOrleans

Original Poster
Pin trading maybe, pin collecting no
I agree that many CM's are carrying similar pins. That could be because so many guests are buying discount multiple pin lots on ebay and that floods the parks with those pins. But I havent seen a decrease in guests trading pins, and there can be quality pins still to be found if you continue to look around. I've still been able to find some great pins on CM lanyards and at the resort pin boards. And some great pins can be found on other guests lanyards as well.... I actively trade with other guests and dont limit myself to trading only with CM's. Not only gets me some great pins but gets me into some great conversations with guests from all over. Theres still enough interest and excitement in pin trading that it will stay around and will keep it alive.

I'm glad that you have seen evidence of pin trading and collecting going strong! My personal experience was mostly based on the time during the holidays, during which mostly non-locals are in attendance, the group who typically has less opportunities to get involved in the trade.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well we're doing our part. So far I think we've spent about 300 this week, and it was about 600 for Halloween (that framed set wasn't cheap, but very nice.

Last edited:

Grumpy06

I agree with the original poster,we were down 3 weeks ago and we noticed at the pin store in the springs that half of the free standing pin and lanyard racks were gone,they had removed the pin board and now have 4 small crates and in the store the interior corners were all empty now,no more clocks or pin bags or signs there anymore and saw none of the newer pins on any cast member trading

rob0519

When the whole pin trading/collecting thing started, I thought it was a nice little hobby. Now it seems the quality of the pins is decreasing, the price of the pins is increasing and the sheer number of different pins for each character, event, holiday, etc. is out of control. This is just my opinion. I'm glad people still enjoy the pins, but for me, I'm over them. I can't see me ever buying another one.

Cmdr_Crimson

You do have to wonder how some pins can be confusing like the Marvel pins for Example...

Spider-Man Kawaii Pin from Universal Studios...
s-l1600.jpg

And then there's The Disneypins Marvel Kawaii blind bag version...Albeit a different pose
Disney-Trading-Pin-Marvel-Kawaii-Mystery-Series.jpg

AndyS2992

Whilst buying pins in the parks is still easy, the whole trading aspect has been ruined by the sheer amount of fakes in circulation that has ruined the fun for collectors so a lot of people don't trade anymore but rather just buy the pins they like which means no more worrying that you just traded away a $20 pin for a worthless peice of scrap metal. Most of the pins on a CMs lanyard are also fakes traded to them by guests who have bought those cheap lots on eBay so that also puts people off.

JimW

Premium Member
In recent years, it has become increasingly apparent that pin trading is not what it used to be. On previous trips, in the early 2000s, you would often see people who would come with multiple lanyards to trade with guests and cast members. However, these days cast members tend to have the same pins, and fewer guests can be seen pin trading. Secondly, the quality of pins has been decreasing. Quality has always been a key aspect of Disney's brand. Therefore when I see official pins having the same quality as scrapper pins, it is worrying. Does anyone else have similar concerns?

Do you have any data backing up this claim? I'm not disagreeing with you, but this feels like conjecture and without facts, makes me think it is a bit hyperbolic.

drizgirl

I love buying pins on our trips. But on our recent trip to DLR, I was really disappointed to find very few pins with the actual resort name or year. I typically buy around 10 pins per visit as my souvenir. This year? I bought one. And it wasn't for lack of trying.

At WDW, I blame magic bands. I'm guessing far fewer people wear lanyards. And while lanyards aren't required for pin collecting, they certainly do promote it.

AndrewsJ

Pin collecting/trading is still very popular. I've been to many trading events and even the annual gala that Disney puts on. It is still extremely popular. There are waiting lists and even a lottery to decide which pins interested shoppers can buy. Trading in the parks is not as evident because of people doing what they do at Disney and trying to cheat the system. Low life parents who think it won't hurt if they purchase a big lot of scrapers of of eBay for little snowflake to trade has ruined it for the rest of us. My point being that just because you don't see it as often in the parks doesn't mean it's on its last leg. People stoop to very low levels to "get away with something" at Disney.

AndrewsJ

I'm glad that you have seen evidence of pin trading and collecting going strong! My personal experience was mostly based on the time during the holidays, during which mostly non-locals are in attendance, the group who typically has less opportunities to get involved in the trade.
So after one visit you've decided it's on its last leg?

MarkTwain

Definitely have wondered the same and have a few mixed opinions.

Working as a pin-trading cast member a few years ago, I noticed that it was pretty rare to trade with casual visitors, or people trading random pins they had with pins they saw and liked. Instead, most pin traders seemed to be more "fanatics" and could spot an unusual or valuable pin a mile away. They usually always traded the same cheap pins sold in bulk sets or that you can find on eBay for a dollar. Often any pin that didn't fit this mold would be gone from my lanyard within minutes. As a result, by the end of the day my lanyard would just be pins that wouldn't interest most people.

Pin-buying seems to be as strong as ever, at least for the die-hard fans. Any pins for special events or limited release can sell out in a heartbeat. Some special events can get lines for pins that go out the door, especially for special releases or locations like the Disney Store in Hollywood.

What I have noticed is that Disney seems to be reducing the amount of new pins they release. You can go to a pin store every few months and notice that 90% are the same as last time; I don't think that used to be true. Holidays or events that used to get a large number of different commemorative pins might today just get one (e.g. New Years Eve and New Years Day each used to have separate pins, now there's just one for both every year). For special cruises, DCL used to release special pins for each port of call, but they don't do that anymore either, usually just opting for a single pin for the whole cruise. This could just be Disney trying to reduce the cost of manufacturing, but I do wonder if all those new pins weren't selling.

All of this is then made more confusing by the fact Disney makes their pins more expensive all the time. It's very difficult to buy a pin for less than $10 these days. I wouldn't think Disney would raise the prices of something that isn't selling, but who knows anymore.

Berret

In the Parks
No
I've never seen the appeal in pin trading, so I've never done it. I seem to remember getting a lanyard with pins on it, but I've never actually traded them or anything. Am I missing out?

Omnikron

I don't think it's on its last legs, really. I've had several times where the family and I were out and had people come over to ask about our pins or to even trade. I still remember bringing our tray of food over at the ABC commissary and had a girl come over and asking if would be willing to trade a Lucifer pin I had. Sure, that's what pin trading is for. She was extremely excited and happy to get the pin and that is what the fun of all of it is for. For a pin I got some months ago I traded it for another pin and this girl was over the moon happy for it.

I'm not an expert or even know what pins are rare but I do it because I love to and our daughter has her collection (mostly pins she took from me lol ) I peruse the boards when I can while in the parks or at the resorts and I do notice an overabundance of the same pins, mostly that little mushroom guy from Fantasia.

Phonedave

I collect - certain specific pins.

Donald pins
Limited edition pins that appeal to me (including AP & DVC exclusive)

Lately there have been a lack of pins that appeal to me. I have not seen many new Donald pins at all. And many of the exclusive pins seem to be the multi part puzzle type pins, which again, dont really appeal to me.

-dave

DfromATX

Haven't given it that much thought. The first couple of trips my kids traded pins, but after that I guess they outgrew it. We're to the point now where we don't even buy souvenirs anymore.

Zipadeelady

I don't think it's on its last legs, really. I've had several times where the family and I were out and had people come over to ask about our pins or to even trade. I still remember bringing our tray of food over at the ABC commissary and had a girl come over and asking if would be willing to trade a Lucifer pin I had. Sure, that's what pin trading is for. She was extremely excited and happy to get the pin and that is what the fun of all of it is for. For a pin I got some months ago I traded it for another pin and this girl was over the moon happy for it.

I'm not an expert or even know what pins are rare but I do it because I love to and our daughter has her collection (mostly pins she took from me lol ) I peruse the boards when I can while in the parks or at the resorts and I do notice an overabundance of the same pins, mostly that little mushroom guy from Fantasia.
I was just at Disney and my kids didn't seem excited to trade anymore so I picked up where they left off. Anyway all that to say I got so excited when I saw one of those little mushroom guys I gladly traded a CM for one. She probably thought I was nuts to be so excited if they're all over :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom