Pin trading? How does this work?

klineski96

Rule number one, first and foremost when it comes to Pin Trading:

Pin Trading itself does not necessitate or require an oversized hat to be placed in front of the Great Movie Ride.

Aside from that, I don't know anything about Pin Trading.

Kamikaze

Its your first trip, don't waste time pin trading.

Its basically buying pins (yes, the kind you pin to clothing) in the parks and then trading them with other pin traders and/or Cast Members (employees).

It can get very very expensive.

PaisleyMF

If you have time, money and patience, Pin Trading can be fun and rewarding.

Pin Trading with cast members have to types one for kids and a general one.

Pins that most cast members carry are all sorts of pins, These pins are mostly serial pins that are not sold you can only get them traded.

There is a limit of Pins that you can trade with the cast member at a time.

Most of the pins that cast members have are with a "Hidden Mickey" on them, but you can also buy some Pins that are with Hidden Mickey's too.

You can get a starter Kit (around 20 to 30 dollars) that have some pins to trade a land yard and instructions.

Other thing to consider is the backing of the pins since this are rubber can get loose easily and you can loose you pin, so check the options available.

And most important, HAVE FUN!

raven

You can trade up to 2 pins with a Cast Member. CM's with a black lanyard or belt pouch can trade with anyone. CM's with a green lanyard or belt pouch only trade with children.

You can approach a CM and ask to look at their pins. If you see one that you'd like to trade they will trade it with one that you choose from your lanyard.

If you trade with another guest you pick one of yours that you are willing to trade and the other guest will pick one that they are willing to trade. Some guests make their own rules though (trade only same value pins, only certain kinds, etc.).

Basically you can spend a lot of money. My genreal rule is get the ones that YOU like. :wave:

Duckberg

Pim TRADING 1st Timers @ WDW

You can trade up to 2 pins with a Cast Member. CM's with a black lanyard or belt pouch can trade with anyone. CM's with a green lanyard or belt pouch only trade with children.

You can approach a CM and ask to look at their pins. If you see one that you'd like to trade they will trade it with one that you choose from your lanyard.

If you trade with another guest you pick one of yours that you are willing to trade and the other guest will pick one that they are willing to trade. Some guests make their own rules though (trade only same value pins, only certain kinds, etc.).

Basically you can spend a lot of money. My genreal rule is get the ones that YOU like. :wave:

IMO I would focus on enjoying WDW if its your FIRST :king: visit. You may notice a number of visitors with large lanyards covered with pins. MANY of these people have annual passes & come to WDW often. Get the pins YOU like, but ENJOY :D the overall WDW visit!!! Duckberg :wave:

cjgtigger

I am going to WDW in a few weeks and love to pin trade. I went on e-bay and bought a lot of 20 pins for $30.00.

Now I have 20 so so pins that I can trade for 20 pins that I will enjoy!!

I only trade with Cast Members. I always ask if they have any Cast Member only pins.

HAPPY TRADING!!

Susan Savia

Why not just buy yourself a few pins whenever you visit the parks and start Your collection. We buy two or three each trip and have amassed quite a few, all for a reason or memory we have of doing something, riding something, etc., and we have no plans to give or trade them. :)

ZapperZ

I keep seeing things regarding pin trading? Can someone explain this to me?

I think there's quite a wealth of info on pin trading in the Merchandise/Pin Trading forum (where this might get moved to, I'm guessing).

Secondly, you may want to look at the Disney pin trading website. It has a few guidelines and etiquette regarding pin trading.

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/index

Finally, I noticed that you're in the Chicago area (so am I). There's a very strong Disney pin-trading community here of which I am a part of. We meet once a month on a Saturday at a Fuddruckers in Addison, IL, to do pin trading among ourselves, and we typically get between 20 to 30 people showing up (largest was around 50 at one of our Christmas gathering). Our next meeting is, in fact, tomorrow. People come to do pin trading, to mingle, to chat and catch up with each other.. i.e. it is more of a social group than anything else. So everyone is welcome even if one isn't into pin trading.

The Windy City Pin Traders website can be found here:

http://www.windycitypintraders.com/

Zz.

juscet

Pin trading can be very addicting and very expensive. Essentially you buy pins which cost about $7.00 and up. You walk around the parks. Cast members have lanyards with pins on them. If you see a pin you like you trade one of your pins for their pin. It's that easy. One of the things I would suggest, if you decide to start pin trading, is to go to E-Bay and buy some pins there before you go. Usually they are much cheaper and in some cases you can buy a group of pins at a greatly reduced price. Good luck and enjoy!:)

raven

IMO I would focus on enjoying WDW if its your FIRST :king: visit. You may notice a number of visitors with large lanyards covered with pins. MANY of these people have annual passes & come to WDW often. Get the pins YOU like, but ENJOY :D the overall WDW visit!!! Duckberg :wave:

Well my reply was to actually answer the OPs question, not give advice. :hammer:

mousefan1972

Well my reply was to actually answer the OPs question, not give advice. :hammer:

Agreed, also, where did the OP say it was their first visit? :confused:

Our family got into pin trading on our last visit, and our kids love it. We have the "keepers" that are in our pin trading easel, and then our "traders" that the kids put on their lanyards in the parks, so when they see a CM with pins, they can readily trade. It is a great way to interact with CM's, which we really enjoy. Some of them get into pin trading, and share tips and such with us. I would agree with the advice to focus on a certain character, park, etc when it comes to choosing pins because it can be very overwhelming! Right now I'm collecting Tink and Donald pins. :lol: There are a LOT of just those 2 characters! Have fun. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Agreed, also, where did the OP say it was their first visit? :confused:

:

She started another thread stating that it's her first visit. The question as what pin trading is has been answered. Everything else is whether or not one should get involved, especially on a first visit, when it can be difficult just figuring out your way around the parks, how to utilize FP, how to get into a restaurant, how early to pick a spot to watch a parade, etc.

And since when have people stuck to the question asked without throwing in advice? :lol:

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I appreciate all the help I have received this past week on this forum. We are leaving tonight for our road trip. Hopefully my boss let's me off early (PLEASE!!)

I hope my family and I have as much fun as everyone here says they do... so that when I return I can share in the happiness of the magic we experience.

Thanks again!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom