Pieces from old attractions in various places in the parks

stitchrules223

Original Poster
I thought that this was rather interesting. When I was at Mouse Gears at Epcot in June, I looked up from the bustling crowd around me and did a double take. One of the character displays at the top of one of the shelves had none other than the original Dreamfinder machine! I think that the character models they used in the display were of Donald's nephews (I can't quite remember) It brought back fond memories of the original attraction. I confirmed it by asking a cast member, and she said it was indeed a prop from the original JII. I already know of the piece from Horizons in Mission Space, but are there any other props from old attractions floating around at the parks? I'm sorry if this is old news to anyone.

yensidtlaw1969

Disney usually keeps something from the attraction an attraction replaced in the attraction that did the replacing ( :veryconfu ). Like, in Winnie the Pooh, look to the left just as you enter Owl's House and you will see a "photo" of Mr. Toad handing the deed to the building to Owl. Not exactly from the original Mr. Toad, but an Homage. Let's see, what else . . . Oh yeah! sdkippy and SIR will be returning in SGE. Things like that.

Horizons1

Actually what you saw was a replica of Dreamfinders blimp not an actual prop from the ride. The actual prop is alot bigger than the replica but yes it does bring back alot of memories of the original ride. Its nice to see something that says the ride actually did exsist in EPCOT. But if you are looking for actual props from the original, when your in the que for JIIWF,there is a shelf with what looks to be a bunch of inventions and such on it. Look very closely and you will see props from the old ride mixed in with the junk. I was excited when I first discovered this to see some of them again, of course it was also sad to see them dismantled from where they belong. It almost makes you wanna grab em all off the shelf and high tail it home :lol:. And in the UOE, almost at the very end of the film they make a reference to one of the original UOE's songs, Energy(You make the world go 'round).

beast

At Chef Mickey's there's some sort of ride piece at the entrance to the restaurant. I'm not sure what attraction it comes from.

Anyone know?

AllThatsJoey

I remember about 4 or 5 years ago SMRT1 from communicore used to be at the front counter at Chef Mickeys...anyone else remember this?

Mission: SPACE

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Disney usually keeps something from the attraction an attraction replaced in the attraction that did the replacing ( :veryconfu ). Like, in Winnie the Pooh, look to the left just as you enter Owl's House and you will see a "photo" of Mr. Toad handing the deed to the building to Owl. Not exactly from the original Mr. Toad, but an Homage. Let's see, what else . . . Oh yeah! sdkippy and SIR will be returning in SGE. Things like that.

Just FYI, Skippy will be back as Skippy (and only in the right tube) and SIR has had a slight name change.

Moustronaut

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Disney usually keeps something from the attraction an attraction replaced in the attraction that did the replacing

Yep... just look at the center of the gravity wheel in the queue of Mission:Space.

So what's left over from World of Motion?

Expo_Seeker40

In the world of motion....

The famous "world's first traffic jam" was retained. The animatronics, the horse, the chickens, numerous props, and sets, some pigs, and *possibly* an automobile were retained. The majority of this was put inside Disneyland's Pirates of the Carri.... Alas! That attraction was made to be more politically correct.

We still have the world of motion pavilion. General Motors is still sponsor of the motion pavilion, even though test track is the current attraction. GM is the oldest EPCOT Center sponsor. They were there since 1977.

The transcenter is still there, though it is nothing like it used to be. Some of the decor is still the same in the transcenter, especially for where they showcase their cars.

You actually load and unload into your test track vehicle, right where we used to board our motion omnivmover. It may not look like this because we who went on this ride remember going to the left and through a long queue line. Well they knocked down all these walls, etc, etc, etc.....but you still get to that point where you load....eventually. :lol:

The only thing is....is that the original motion unload platform is gone. The motion load platform was so big that they turned it into both the loading and unloading platform for test track, that's why it takes just a little longer to get to the transcenter, because they had to add in some new things along the way down the hallway to get there.

P.S. World of Motion had some authentic pieces. They had an autherntic train and wagon. I hope they gave those back to a museum or are in Disney Storage and not destroyed. :lookaroun

BigNorm

Moustronaut said:
Yep... just look at the center of the gravity wheel in the queue of Mission:Space.

I was under the impression that the gravity wheel was a prop from the film Mission to Mars. Is this true or just a rumour? Anyone know?

rainfully

forbidden donut said:
I have a few old images of the World of Motion and one of the Dreamfinder machine from my first trip to Epcot in 88

http://www.pbase.com/ysic
Those are some awesome pictures!! 1988 was my very first trip to WDW.

And you took a picture of one of my favorite things to eat... that pizza from Wolfgang Pucks in DTD!! Now I'm all hungry for one... thanks a LOT! LoL...

DarkMeasures

BigNorm said:
I was under the impression that the gravity wheel was a prop from the film Mission to Mars. Is this true or just a rumour? Anyone know?

It is a prop from Mission to Mars but the Horizon's logo was added when the wheel was moved to Mission Space.

There are also some video clips from the preshow of Mission to Mars(the attraction) in Mission Space. Look for them in the control station.

Space Mountain has video clips from the Mission to Mars Attraction as well as video clips from the Tommorowland segments on the Disneyland TV Show and parts from Tron.

Disneyland's Splash Mountain has a crapload of AAs that were originally for America Sings. The 2 main characters weren't recasted and several other AAs were stripped of skin and placed in Disneyland's Star Tours.

There are more references. I know I went general with some videos but oh well.

Number_6

stitchrules223 said:
I thought that this was rather interesting. When I was at Mouse Gears at Epcot in June, I looked up from the bustling crowd around me and did a double take. One of the character displays at the top of one of the shelves had none other than the original Dreamfinder machine! I think that the character models they used in the display were of Donald's nephews (I can't quite remember)

I vaguely remember seeing that there years ago. I think it was there from before the store was ever called Mouse Gear and they probably wanted to leave it because it really is a great display and a nice homage to a now long departed attraction.

Jerm

Moustronaut said:

In the queue for Test Track the old Model T was part of WoM... dont know all the details about it cuase never made it on WoM.

One of the oddest/worst deaths for any prop has to be the Sea Serpent from WoM that ended up being stuck behind some trailers in DCA Hollywood Backlot Picture area. The only way to really see it is to look inbetween two trailers or as your coming out of the bathroom area you can kinda see it.

One of the other ones that I recall is Mr. Egg (KK) is in the Easter Parade still I think.

J

DisneyWorld30th

You can find lots of old stuff in the Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island!

I hope they do something at Soaring to remember Food Rocks!!

At Buzz, anyone know if there is a hidden prop from the previous rides?

Horizons1

Jerm said:
In the queue for Test Track the old Model T was part of WoM... dont know all the details about it cuase never made it on WoM.

One of the oddest/worst deaths for any prop has to be the Sea Serpent from WoM that ended up being stuck behind some trailers in DCA Hollywood Backlot Picture area. The only way to really see it is to look inbetween two trailers or as your coming out of the bathroom area you can kinda see it.

There was a picture of this somewhere. Anyone know where or have it?

raven

Expo_Seeker40 said:
We still have the world of motion pavilion. General Motors is still sponsor of the motion pavilion, even though test track is the current attraction. GM is the oldest EPCOT Center sponsor. They were there since 1977.

Um, didn't Epcot (Center) open in 1982? I was even there that year.

Anyway, I have also noticed other little things on rides from other rides or even other movies. At the exit of Buzz you will find Stitch in his spaceship on a mural on the right wall.

Also, has anyone noticed the same girl who demonstrates seatbelts in the TT vehicle preshow film also demonstrates in the preshow for M:S? :lol:

By the way, this is my 1000th Post :sohappy:

stitchrules223

Original Poster
It's a shame that that's not the real Dreamfinder's machine (and I thought it was the real thing :cry: ) Congrats on your 1000th post, raven! I'm happy to see that a lot of replies have been given. I also pose another question: what did they do with the props from the Lion King show where Philiaharmagic is now? Or is it too soon to know? Also, about the GM sponsorship, maybe they said that they told Disney in 1977 that they would sponsor an attraction? Or was EPCOT Center not even in planning then?

raven

stitchrules223 said:
Also, about the GM sponsorship, maybe they said that they told Disney in 1977 that they would sponsor an attraction? Or was EPCOT Center not even in planning then?

Oh, Epcot was planned by Walt. Even though the final outcome was different than what he had originally planned, it was in planning for many years. But as to whether GM was brought in that early I am not sure. To me, 5 years before the park even opens seems a little too early to bring in a sponsor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom