Pics of SSE new computer room!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
From ThemeParkAve.com

Here are two pictures from SSE's new computer room. It is a massive computer room of the late 60s/early 70s. This coincides with the family watching the moonlanding on the living room of the the 60s.

6l8ovts.jpg

81s226u.jpg

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
There are TWO new computer scenes in SSE. Not THREE like some had thought. Spaceship Earth originally had three evolution of the computer scenes. The first was a boy using a computer in his room in the 80s....then a woman using the computer in her office in the 80s...and then a network operations center using computers possibly in the 90s and beyond.

In 1994 this was all gutted and replaced by one single scene which was the boy and girl using the videophone thingy.

Now let me orient you in these photos.

In the first photo the picture is taken just as their omnimover is curving along the track. The family in the 1960s watching all the TV is behind is and to our left....while the cinema movie screens is behind us and to our right.

In the first photo....see the man with the white lab coat? He's in the spot just about where the girl was using her videophone computer. I wouldn't be suprised if he was right where the videophone computer was so he could be standing on a power sorce.

The late 60s/early 70s computer room takes up the original "boy using computer in his room and woman using her computer in her office" scenes from the 1982-1994 version of the ride. This is also takes up the boy and girl using videophones from 1994....all the way up to the girl's home and neon globe.

Past the 1994 girl's home and neon globe....which is all gone...and where the old network operations center scene was from 1982-1994 is a new scene with I think steve jobs working in his garage on a computer.

Then its up the network tunnel into 180top!

The second photo is from the OTHER side of the track. Yes folks...from 1982-1994 this space was the other side of the network operations center!

In 1994 this scene was merely covered up with a black curtain.

The space has been reutilized. A woman now works in this area near a desk...just like a woman had done way back in 1982....albiet in a different mood set.....the original woman was in a futuristic communcations room.

Notice how the computer room has a Siemens Aqua Color to it? :confused:

kcnole

Past the 1994 girl's home and neon globe....which is all gone...and where the old network operations center scene was from 1982-1994 is a new scene with I think steve jobs working in his garage on a computer.

I haven't seen this yet so I can't confirm but if its accurate there is no way that its Steve Jobs working on building the first computer. If it is I'll have a major problem with it. Steve Jobs knew nothing of computer engineering in any way. The man who invented the first apple computer was Steve Wozniak, aka "The Woz". He was friends with Steve Jobs who convinced him to market it. So while Woz was the brains behind the real operation, Jobs became the brains behind the marketing.

So I truly hope the aa is of Woz and not Jobs. Below is an early image of Jobs and Wozniak. Jobs is on the left and the woz is on the right. Can someone confirm who they have working on the computer?

apple-1-2-steves.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
I haven't seen this yet so I can't confirm but if its accurate there is no way that its Steve Jobs working on building the first computer. If it is I'll have a major problem with it. Steve Jobs knew nothing of computer engineering in any way. The man who invented the first apple computer was Steve Wozniak, aka "The Woz". He was friends with Steve Jobs who convinced him to market it. So while Woz was the brains behind the real operation, Jobs became the brains behind the marketing.

So I truly hope the aa is of Woz and not Jobs. Below is an early image of Jobs and Wozniak. Jobs is on the left and the woz is on the right. Can someone confirm who they have working on the computer?

apple-1-2-steves.jpg

While Woz did the design... they built it in Steve's garage.. and when they were first selling the computers - Jobs did do assembly work, etc.

Yes, could be a issue of who's stealing the glory - but they both worked on building the computers in the early days.

kcnole

According to Woz, he built the thing completely. It was after he built it that Jobs said they should market it. Woz built it and took it to his homebrew computer club before Jobs ever saw it. So no, the first one was not built in Jobs garage. They built the first mass produced ones in his garage, but it was still Woz doing all the engineering for it. Jobs was the marketing guy, Woz was the real brains.

jakeman

I look forward to seeing these new scenes in person.

Thanks for the great description of where they are located!

flynnibus

Premium Member
According to Woz, he built the thing completely. It was after he built it that Jobs said they should market it. Woz built it and took it to his homebrew computer club before Jobs ever saw it. So no, the first one was not built in Jobs garage.

Sorry I wasn't clear - I didn't mean the FIRST one was built in Steve's garage - but that they built the Apple computers in the garage. The First Apple wasn't even in a case - it was in a wooden box - and when they productized it, they sold it as a kit. Woz designed and built it as many people were building and experimenting with their own computers at the time - hence the Homebrew Computer Club which he frequented. But he wanted a keyboard interface, something not common at the time for the computer kits. Remember, the Apple I wasn't the first personal computer - it was one of many kits available at the time.

So no - I don't think there is a problem with the idea of the characters (even if its eluding to Jobs) building a computer in the garage - not having heard the script on how they describe it.

Not hearing the script yet - it could be the HP garage for all we know - which is the birth place of silicon valley :)
Maybe someone can expand on the narration and imagery in the scene

jmuboy

I'm so glad that this old covered scene has been reused. I'm impressed. Looking forward to seeing more.

Slowjack

Wow, I guess I never realized how much space was available in that area. I just realized I was looking at mirrors in the second shot, but still! It looks like they've done a great job.

Ah, it's all too cool! I wish I was there...

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ahhhh, now i can see what the new computer room looks like. it wasnt too clear when described. so you are saying the the second photo is where? past the tunnel at 180top. secondly, can you be a little more descriptive of the steve jobs reference and garage.

thanks for the post

EDIT: i got it... i actually re-read your post. should have done that first. lol

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Spaceship Earth originally had three evolution of the computer scenes.
Not to be pragmatic, but the original had 4. The Future Comms Center on the right, behind the cinema, then the boys room opposite on the left, followed by the 80`s office also on the left, and then Network Ops. The latter 2 were also joined by a mostly-forgotten staircase and platform arrangement next to the track.

DisneyAnole

Those pictures make that one new scene look...I don't know...kinda boring. I'll get to see it in a couple of weeks, I hope, and maybe it'll look a lot better in person. But it has this dull office feel to it, which may be historically accurate, doesn't really appear too amazing.

I've seen the pictures of the original SSE show scenes, and at least the Network Communications scene looked dramatic and attractive. These pictures not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom