PHOTOS - New monorail track spur nears completion

SirNim

All those years all those CMs claiming the monorail was going to be expanded, and we thought they were pulling our leg!

See, the CMs were telling the truth! They had the inside scoop! (sorta kinda :lookaroun)

:lol:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
"The new monorail track spur, near to the Transportation and Ticket Center on the Epcot beam, will allow a monorail train and a maintenance tractor to be stored on this section of track to aid in maintenance and rapid response to a monorail problem on the Epcot beam."

I thought I read somewhere that the spur is only 62 ft. long? Unless that info is incorrect, the track will not be long enough to hold a train, only a tractor.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
"The new monorail track spur, near to the Transportation and Ticket Center on the Epcot beam, will allow a monorail train and a maintenance tractor to be stored on this section of track to aid in maintenance and rapid response to a monorail problem on the Epcot beam."

I thought I read somewhere that the spur is only 62 ft. long? Unless that info is incorrect, the track will not be long enough to hold a train, only a tractor.

The info I had originally indicated it would hold a monorail. I'm not sure if this has since changed.

PhilharMagician

The info I had originally indicated it would hold a monorail. I'm not sure if this has since changed.

This was posted on Monorail Society's website.

WDW spur construction (12/10/10)
Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Construction continues on the Walt Disney World Monorail System for a short, 62' spur line. The line is being added to an existing switch on the Epcot line near the Transportation & Ticketing Center (TTC). Disney wants to keep a diesel-powered tractor permanently parked off the Epcot line to allow quicker dispatch in the case of disabled trains or power failures. A power failure last December stranded 300 passengers at 1 AM in the morning. Some of them were not evacuated until 4 AM in the morning. Having the tractor on the Epcot line will also permit earlier inspection of the line when the monorail system cycles down for the night.

scottnj1966

I was at the Wilderness Lodge and took a look. It is only going to be big enough for the tractor. It's a very small project.

nolatron

I'm curious to how they will get the switch beam installed.

I wouldn't think that could be done overnight and would require shutting down the whole Epcot beam for a few days.

Or is already in place (kinda looks like it in the pics)?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm curious to how they will get the switch beam installed.

I wouldn't think that could be done overnight and would require shutting down the whole Epcot beam for a few days.

Or is already in place (kinda looks like it in the pics)?

I believe the spur was installed at a point where there was already a switch.

PhilharMagician

I believe the spur was installed at a point where there was already a switch.

The spur was to be right next to the existing spur connecting the MK express line and the Epcot line. This would allow the use of the existing switch. The current switch would then only require some modifications which could be done during off hours without shutting down the line.

nolatron

The spur was to be right next to the existing spur connecting the MK express line and the Epcot line. This would allow the use of the existing switch. The current switch would then only require some modifications which could be done during off hours without shutting down the line.

Ahh, that's right. I forgot it was right at the location of the existing spur machine.

Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
This was posted on Monorail Society's website.

WDW spur construction (12/10/10)
Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Construction continues on the Walt Disney World Monorail System for a short, 62' spur line. The line is being added to an existing switch on the Epcot line near the Transportation & Ticketing Center (TTC). Disney wants to keep a diesel-powered tractor permanently parked off the Epcot line to allow quicker dispatch in the case of disabled trains or power failures. A power failure last December stranded 300 passengers at 1 AM in the morning. Some of them were not evacuated until 4 AM in the morning. Having the tractor on the Epcot line will also permit earlier inspection of the line when the monorail system cycles down for the night.
:cry:

The things you Yanks do to the English language!

Scuttle

Nice to see them investing in the Monorail System, even if it is just a small improvement.

Very nice to see. This move and the high gas prices might actually have TDO thinking monorail expansion. Atleast to the studios damnit! lol. I mean really a monorail expansion to the studios couldn't be that expensive. and it would also keep people from getting on that dreadful 40 minute boat ride over to the studios and as I have stated before you want people in the parks asap. That's a 40 minute boat ride that you can't spend a dime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom